AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recs for Kresley Cole fan + imperfect heroines
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanalayla

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordRose wrote:

POSSIBLE SPOILER IN WHITE

As for a possible M/M subplot, I would definitely be interested in seeing one. But how, exactly, would it work in the IAD world? Demons only recognize their mate after having sex with them, but presumably the prostitute(s) Caspion spent all night with would have noticed if he produced semen, and therefore Salem, the ever-friendly invisible voyeur, would have, too.

And is it even possible for a vampire to recognize a man as their "bride"? (Groom?) And is it possible for them to recognize their bride before they've frozen? (And is it obvious I spend way too much of my time thinking about this?)

I think it would be possible for a vampire to be blooded by a male. Why not? I would imagine it would go very much like the blooding goes when it's a female. They see the person and their heart starts to beat.

Regarding the night spent with the prostitute... I think it might be easily explained away in that Caspion TRIED to perform and was unable to... I feel romance novels do that kind of ret-con all the time. Something like it turns out that Caspion went at it all night mainly because he was unable to do the deed. So it's possible that Salem was around to see Caspion trying but not the part where he was unable to finish it off.

I think it could very well be that Caspion recognized the vampire as his mate (or thought it might be his mate) but the vampire did NOT recognize Caspion as his groom. That could very well be because he hadn't frozen yet so he didn't get the tell-tale sign that his heart started beating again.

If Cole decided to go this route, then it's likely that she sent Caspion off to the hell-world to make it so that he's far away from his groom & that he's going to have to work his way back to the Dacian world so he can cross paths with the vampire (his name escapes me) and then he'll blood that vampire. Maybe that happens in Book 2 and then in Book 3 they have to come to terms with it? It seems as thought a huge part of the mating/blooding business is the idea that they can have children. The children thing seems huge... so I can imagine it would be hard for them to deal with the fact that they can't have biological children if their eternal mate is of the same gender.

I think it would be odd that Cole went out of the way to show that the vampire was bi-sexual - and also made Caspion act REALLY weird about the vampire - for her to just ignore that this all happened.
Jane A

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanalayla wrote:

POSSIBLE SPOILER IN WHITE

I think it would be odd that Cole went out of the way to show that the vampire was bi-sexual - and also made Caspion act REALLY weird about the vampire - for her to just ignore that this all happened.

I had this thought, too.
hedgie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanalayla wrote:

Oh, that would be awesome. I'm assuming your thinking of angsty story that would follow? Or are you thinking of the hot threesome?

Personally? I'm hoping for a hot threesome, but it seems unlikely. And I suppose it could get awkward fast what with them being brothers and all, but my fingers are still crossed.

Quote:

The other thing I would love to see is a situation where the same woman bloods a vampire and a lykae recognizes her as a mate. What do they do if that happens? Especially if the woman is a Valkyrie who doesn't have to have soulmate? That would be the ultimate love triangle in Cole's world (similarities to Twilight notwithstanding).

Iiiinteresting. This would require some serious wiggling as far as the world building goes given how deeply intrenched the bride/mate thing is in the Lore. But I do think Cole could manage it. One of the guys would probably have to die and be reborn or somesuch thing and have an HEA in another book.

Quote:
She was toned down, but it still didn't work for me. It's been awhile since I read it, but I think the other thing I think I didn't like about it was how much of an overlap there was with other books.

I read the books out of order and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Regin's story. It felt like there was a bit too much happening in it (like how many traumas did Declan need in his past) and I felt like the Aidan/Regin love story was built really strangely (why have her show up as a little girl? yuck. and then run off. and then come back. muddled.) Still, I loved watching Declan regain his humanity.

Oh and I should say that I loved Kaderin and Sebastian, too. Sebastian was such a wonderful character.
hedgie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordRose wrote:

This was actually something that's really been bothering me throughout the whole series. For example, in Shadow's Claim, pretty much every one of Bettina's suitors was described as repulsive AND evil. Like the pus demon, which you just know is going to be evil because how could it ever be a hero? I suppose there are some non-repulsive evil characters, but they tend to be from species that have also been heroes and heroines. And every single good character is portrayed as amazingly beautiful or handsome. This seems to be pretty common in fantasy and paranormals, and it's something that's always bothered me.

I'd actually be quite interested in seeing one of the more non-human species as a hero/heroine. I was really very intrigued by the possibilities of Cerunnos.

EXACTLY. That was thrown into sharp relief in Shadow's Claim. I think this may also be why I felt a bit let down by Holly Ashwin as a heroine. I thought, okay, we're going to get a woman who is extraordinary because of her mind, not her looks, plus she's got OCD, sweet. Instead she was this super bombshell who somehow didn't know that she was driving all the jocks in her class to distraction with her tight pencil skirts. I would say, well, maybe the hero just thinks the heroine is the hottest thing he's ever seen and we're seeing his POV. Except that Cole makes a point of telling us how the heroines turn heads wherever they go. I get the wish fulfillment thing, but after a while, it gets a little bothersome.

I don't know about the Cerunnos. I wouldn't mind like a snake or dragon shifter, but I don't have a clear picture of the Cerunnos in my head. And didn't Cole say they feed human flesh to their babies or something? Or was that some other monster?
sanalayla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone read Jennifer Ashley's "Shifter" series? If so, would you recommend it to a Kresley Cole fan? I want get into a new paranormal series, but haven't been able to find one that has captured my interest.
MEK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanalayla wrote:
Has anyone read Jennifer Ashley's "Shifter" series? If so, would you recommend it to a Kresley Cole fan? I want get into a new paranormal series, but haven't been able to find one that has captured my interest.

I'm reading it! I've kept up with the whole series, and I think I've read all the novellas (not completely sure). The worldbuilding is unique, the writing is good, and Ashley spends plenty of time making the secondary characters and the setting interesting. The heroes are, of course, very alpha, and the heroines are no pushovers without being male copycats (which I hate).

I would highly recommend.
sanalayla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thank you, MEK! Downloading the first one onto my Kindle now.
CG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanalayla wrote:
Great, thank you, MEK! Downloading the first one onto my Kindle now.

Curious to hear your thoughts when you're done. I've thought about starting Ashley's paranormal series because I did enjoy a couple of her historicals, but at this particular time I just can't bring myself to pick up another unknown book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: