AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recs for Kresley Cole fan + imperfect heroines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hedgie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Recs for Kresley Cole fan + imperfect heroines Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I haven't had much luck with JR Ward or Sherrilyn Kenyon, but I fell hard for Kresley Cole's IAD series. Now that I've gobbled up all of them, I'd love some recs for similar series - hot to burning ratings with a paranormal element.

BUT... the one thing that started to bother me about the Cole series- all of the heroines were so perfect- perfect bodies, elfin faces, blah blah. Any chance there are hot paranormals out there that focus on slightly less flawless females- could be plus size (yes please!), plain, too tall, whatever. Even if the heroine is pretty in her own way but doesn't quite know it.

Any recs would be much appreciated!
Hedgie
CG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Recs for Kresley Cole fan + imperfect heroines Reply with quote

I'd be interested in any suggestions as well. The only series I've found to supplement my Cole addiction is G.A. Aiken's Dragon series. Other than strong, fully developed heroines, they don't even have that much in common. Oh, and they both crack me up. A lot.
hedgie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded Dragon Actually (1st one in the series). I'm about halfway through and sorry to say I'm not enjoying it.

It's just a little... goofy? I don't mind the humor, but the story is so OTT and the characters just aren't working for me. Like the whole thing feels a little shallow and rushed? Not trying to bash it, just not my thing. And, erm, not as hot as I'd prefer.

I'm thinking about trying Nalini Singh, but the descriptions of the heroines are putting me off a bit. I'm just sort of done with the gorgeous assassins and sexy half goddesses.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is tough, because Cole is so good and it's very hard to find normal looking heroines.

Here are some suggestions:

You might try Thea Harrison's Elder Races- first one is Dragon
Bound. It was very good and hot.

Another series you might want to try is Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. First one is Dark Fever. It is more Urban Fantasy, but has strong romantic elements. Heat level is warm to hot depending on the book. I love the heroine, and while she is pretty, she comes off as a normal woman caught up in a crazy world.

Finally, Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampire series. First one is Some Girls Bite. The series has a very strong romantic element. The heroine is wonderful. Someone you can imagine wanting to hang out with:)

I hope this helps.
LouiseAAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgie wrote:
I just downloaded Dragon Actually (1st one in the series). I'm about halfway through and sorry to say I'm not enjoying it.

It's just a little... goofy? I don't mind the humor, but the story is so OTT and the characters just aren't working for me. Like the whole thing feels a little shallow and rushed? Not trying to bash it, just not my thing. And, erm, not as hot as I'd prefer.

I'm thinking about trying Nalini Singh, but the descriptions of the heroines are putting me off a bit. I'm just sort of done with the gorgeous assassins and sexy half goddesses.

I am not going to lie - Dragon Kin is an acquired taste! The humor is quirky, but once you "get" it, the characters are hysterical and the scenes DEFINITELY heat up - a lot.

But if Dragon Kin isn't working for you, you might try Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter. Showalter and Cole are actually best buds and their styles are very similar. (The Darkest Night is the first)

Another series is the Warriors of Poseidon series by Alyssa Day. The heroines are "perfect" to the heroes, but not necessarily super model perfect. One of them is described as looking like a gruffy boy - but her mate is obsessed with her. (Atlantis Rising is the first)

Finally, Larissa Ione is a great writer. I would say that overall her heroines are pretty much perfect looking though. But if you like Cole, you would probably love Demonica (Pleasure Unbound is the first)

I hope those suggestions work for you! I know that you said you tried Kenyon, but have you read Night Play? The heroine there is a plus size heroine and the scenes are quite hot.

If I think of any more I will add them as another post! Smile
hedgie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cole IS so dang good. I've been spoiled. I used to ONLY read historicals, but she brought me over.

Thanks for the great recs. Was looking at some of these on my GR, but others are new to me. To be clear, I'm willing to sacrifice my imperfect heroines for a great series so that won't put me off Smile

I did try Night Play and appreciated the plus size heroine, but I couldn't finish the book. Honestly, I think it was the fact that the H/H slept together so quickly. I don't have any moral beef with that at all, I just loooove when the heartache and angst and tension gets drawn out. It's part of why I love historicals and a big part of why I like Cole's IAD series—she throws up lots of obstacles to full on intimacy. BUT maybe I'll give it another try Smile

I'd also say this: something that comes up again and again in IAD is the hero thinking something like, "I used to dig lush barmaids, but now look at my perfect, tiny, fragile little elf girl." Like EVERY TIME. Even the Sorceri and so forth are petit. I'm not plus size, but I'm 5'9" with boobs and a bootie and... I love you, Kresley, but you're starting to give me a complex.
sanalayla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recs for Larrisa Ione and Gena Showalter. In terms of style of writing and world building (along with level of smut), they are the most similar. Especially the heat factor you're looking for - both Ione and Showalter have the same amount/type of sex scenes. (In Ione's case, her books feature sex demons, so I'd say that her writing may be hotter than Cole's.)

I do think that Ione is a better writer than Showalter. Ione is also darker and her world building is a little less diverse than Showalter.

Showalter has 2 series that are worth trying. One is the "Lord of Underworld" series and the other is the "Alien Huntress" series.

I've read some of Kenyon's stuff and I could barely get past Book 3. I found her books to be like cotton candy. In small doses, I could take a bit of it and even enjoy it, but too much was just empty fluff that left a bad taste in my mouth. I would say that Ione and Showalter are both leagues ahead of Kenyon in the world-building and writing department. More in Cole's category.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember if there are any tall heroines in Showalter and Ione's books, but I'm guessing there are. All of them are gorgeous, though. That must be some unwritten rule in paranormal romances. I never thought about how many petite heroines are in Cole's books - since I'm 5' 1.5", I don't think about it much.
hedgie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely going to try Ione.

I'll give Showalter a shot. I started one of her novellas that was paired with one of Cole's IAD pieces and I didn't care for it. Interesting idea (Mystique type character, alien species), but I just couldn't connect. Still the Underworld series looks fun.

As I mentioned, up until recently I ONLY read historicals, and there does seem to be a broader range of heroines— short, tall, plain, pretty, girls who are lovely but may be unfashionable, women with smarts but few social graces, widows with a few extra years on them, spinsters, bluestockings, hoydens, etc. I'd just like to see a bit more of that in urban fantasy. It's one of the reasons I liked Mariketa—yeah, she's hot and pretty much knows it, but she also has old wounds from being passed over.

Anyway, I REALLY appreciate the recs and I'll be digging in over the weekend Very Happy

(Meanwhile, dying for the Thronos/Lanthe story. Bring on the angst!)
CG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgie wrote:

I think I get what you're saying about shallowness, but for me that same shallowness (if we're talking about the same thing) is in Cole's Immortals After Dark series. I've found I have to be in a certain mood, to enjoy IAD and the Dragon Kin, YMMV Smile

IIRC, the heroine in Singh's first changleing book is curvy; of course all her heros find the heroines hot. I also really enjoyed Harrison's Elder races, probably not as hot as Cole, but still hot. Although, I think there's a few perfect pixie-like heroines, but they're fully realized characters, if that makes sense.

Tried Showalter twice and just didnt care for her voice. IMO her characters always sounded/felt like they were in high school.

*Scribbling notes on other suggestions*
sanalayla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgie wrote:
Definitely going to try Ione.

I'll give Showalter a shot. I started one of her novellas that was paired with one of Cole's IAD pieces and I didn't care for it. Interesting idea (Mystique type character, alien species), but I just couldn't connect. Still the Underworld series looks fun.

I think you're talking about the short story that was in the "Deep Kiss of Winter" book, right? That short story is TERRIBLE. It's not completely representative of Showalter's writing. It was actually the first thing I read of Showalter's paranormal work, too, and I remember going, "WTF is this?"

Later on, a friend told me to read the Lord of the Underworld series and said that it was the best thing Showalter had written. She was right - the LoU series is a little more coherent and with more likable characters. However, I will say that the first book features I heroine I was not crazy about (too weak for me) and that I've loved some of her LoU books more than others. She is not as good of a writer as Cole and has a tendency to use a lot more purple prose. She is also fairly repetitive in her writing. More so than Cole.

For example, after the first 2 books, you'll realize she uses the description "ropes and ropes of muscle" every other chapter in every other book. Her sex scenes are a lot more predictable without much lead-up.

The reason I'd still recommend them is that the mythos and world that she's created is rather interesting. The premise of the stories (that a bunch of guys released all the evil from Pandora's Box and now have to carry that burden with them in the form of internal demons) is actually rather imaginative and leads to some interesting stories.

But, yeah, Ione is much a stronger writer. And I would say Cole is still better than both of them.

Quote:
As I mentioned, up until recently I ONLY read historicals, and there does seem to be a broader range of heroines— short, tall, plain, pretty, girls who are lovely but may be unfashionable, women with smarts but few social graces, widows with a few extra years on them, spinsters, bluestockings, hoydens, etc. I'd just like to see a bit more of that in urban fantasy. It's one of the reasons I liked Mariketa—yeah, she's hot and pretty much knows it, but she also has old wounds from being passed over.

I would agree with that... but I think that may be because historicals are still the largest segment of published romance writing. By sheer numbers, historicals outweigh straight-up paranormal romances with the heat factor you're looking for. A lot of paranormal romances are actually urban fantasy without many sex scenes. A lot of urban fantasy/paranormal romances are written in first-person (which changes the type of plot it is). If one thinks about it, there actually aren't a lot of series' that are similar to what Cole does. And definitely not a lot at the level of writing that she has.

So it's possible that it's just about numbers. If more and more people start publishing works like Cole, Showalter, and Ione, then those authors might start being able to experiment more. In Cole's case, I think she explains away all the "perfect" heroines by stating that anyone who is of the Lore is a more physically perfect specimen than mere mortals. It's part of her mythos. But I do agree with you that it can get real old; real fast.

Mariketa was one of my favorite heroines, too. I also loved Sabine. What I loved about Sabine was that she may have been gorgeous and petite or whatever, but she saw it as a weakness. A a sorceress, she had real fears about how she was not stronger than a lot of Lore people and I saw her as a real three dimensional character.

Quote:
Anyway, I REALLY appreciate the recs and I'll be digging in over the weekend Very Happy

(Meanwhile, dying for the Thronos/Lanthe story. Bring on the angst!)

I am, too. But I wonder when we're getting it? It seems as though Cole will need to finish out the Dacian trilogy first.

CG wrote:

I think I get what you're saying about shallowness, but for me that same shallowness (if we're talking about the same thing) is in Cole's Immortals After Dark series. I've found I have to be in a certain mood, to enjoy IAD and the Dragon Kin, YMMV Smile

I actually tried to get through Aiken's Dragon books, too, and found I couldn't for much the same reason as hedgie.

The reason I wouldn't put it in the same category as Cole's IAD series is because I felt the world Aiken created was a little simplistic. There seems to be a complexity to the world of the Lore that didn't exist in Aiken's stories. In Aiken's story, it was pretty simple and to the point: It's a land where there are people who can turn into dragons. And there is sex and romance involved with much fighting.

In Cole's IAD universe, she's created an array of characters and a mythology that makes it seem as though you've been transported to entirely different world that can exist in the same world you're in - you just don't know about it. I'm not saying she's JK Rowling - by any means - but the world-building is similar to me. Much like Rowling presents us with the idea that there is a world that exists parallel to ours where wizards and witches go to schools like Hogwarts to study, Cole, presents us with a world where we could be working alongside a Valkyrie and not even know it.

I think, for me, that's what makes it a more compelling read than most paranormal romances out there. That and I think the variety of types of creatures in them. If every book was about vampires, I'd have checked out. Same with the Lykae. I like that one book can be about a rage demon hooking up with a sorceress, while another book is about a vampire hooking up with a valkyrie.

Quote:
IIRC, the heroine in Singh's first changleing book is curvy; of course all her heros find the heroines hot.

Is Singh's changeling book in first person? So many people have recommended this series to me, but I've been wary because I hated her angels series (which was written in first person).

Quote:
Tried Showalter twice and just didnt care for her voice. IMO her characters always sounded/felt like they were in high school.

Yeah, a lot of her heroines do, I would agree with that. And her heroes become progressively sillier as the series goes on.

Even though I have a high regard for Cole's books, I think some of her heroines in IAD sound like that, too. I didn't care for the story of Regin the Radiant for that reason.
CG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason I wouldn't put it in the same category as Cole's IAD series is because I felt the world Aiken created was a little simplistic. There seems to be a complexity to the world of the Lore that didn't exist in Aiken's stories. In Aiken's story, it was pretty simple and to the point: It's a land where there are people who can turn into dragons. And there is sex and romance involved with much fighting.

Actually, Aiken’s world has grown beyond “people who can turn into dragons”. There are witches, sorcerers, cults, gods, goddesses from different mythologies, dragons from different cultures and probably a few beings I’m forgetting. But the focus is still on the dragons and it’s still nowhere near as complex as Cole’s. Both worlds do feature females that are as strong, capable and bloodthirsty as the males (if not more so, in some cases), something I appreciate.

Quote:
In Cole's IAD universe, she's created an array of characters and a mythology that makes it seem as though you've been transported to entirely different world that can exist in the same world you're in - you just don't know about it. I'm not saying she's JK Rowling - by any means - but the world-building is similar to me. Much like Rowling presents us with the idea that there is a world that exists parallel to ours where wizards and witches go to schools like Hogwarts to study, Cole, presents us with a world where we could be working alongside a Valkyrie and not even know it.

I agree the Lore is certainly a complex world, so much so that sometimes it feels a bit unwieldy to me. I have a horrible memory so when an author creates a world that basically includes everything but the kitchen sink it can get real confusing real fast. I’ve also noticed what I feel are occasional inconsistencies in the rules of her world. For example, unblooded vampires can suddenly sire children when prior to Lothaire’s story there was no mention of this possibility (that I caught). I know she explained this, but the explanation didn’t feel organic to me, more like this is where she wanted the story to go, so she fudged the rules. Having said that, I do greatly enjoy her world and voice; she’s a, scrounge for change in the couch if I have to, autobuy author.

Quote:
Is Singh's changeling book in first person? So many people have recommended this series to me, but I've been wary because I hated her angels series (which was written in first person).

Her Changeling series is in third person. With only two exceptions, I can’t read/don’t enjoy first person, myself.

Possible spoilery question about Shadow’s Claim – Did anyone else get a M/M subtext feeling about Caspion and Macio(sp?). Like maybe Cole might have a M/M plot or subplot in the future?
hedgie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Aiken v. Cole in worldbuilding...

Aiken's job is tougher. I think it's easier for readers to get into paranormal romance or whatall because it's set in our world. Aiken is writing secondary world fantasy and that takes some serious skills. Her world just doesn't feel real enough to me. But again, this is personal preference and I really did like what she did with the dragon shifters. I just don't think it's my cup of tea.

Cole's worldbuilding does feel a little everything but the kitchen sink to me too, but she does manage to keep it easy to follow which I appreciate. I think her endings are always a little iffy. People with major grudges become suddenly reasonable and Nix shows up to get anyone where he or she needs to be. BUT these are quibbles. No book is perfect, and I truly do love her work.

Quote:

Ooh I do not dig first person in romance. I like getting the hero's POV. It's funny because some of my favorite YA reads are first person.

Quote:
Possible spoilery question about Shadow’s Claim – Did anyone else get a M/M subtext feeling about Caspion and Macio(sp?). Like maybe Cole might have a M/M plot or subplot in the future?

I was wondering about that, too. I definitely got that vibe. At the risk of getting racy, erm, is anyone else hoping that Ulliam (sp?) and Munroe (the Lykae twins) will have the same mate? Pleeeeease let Cole go there.

sanalayla wrote:

I think you're talking about the short story that was in the "Deep Kiss of Winter" book, right? That short story is TERRIBLE. It's not completely representative of Showalter's writing. It was actually the first thing I read of Showalter's paranormal work, too, and I remember going, "WTF is this?"

For example, after the first 2 books, you'll realize she uses the description "ropes and ropes of muscle" every other chapter in every other book. Her sex scenes are a lot more predictable without much lead-up.

YES! That was the short story. Ok, I'll try an LoU book.

Quote:

So it's possible that it's just about numbers. If more and more people start publishing works like Cole, Showalter, and Ione, then those authors might start being able to experiment more. In Cole's case, I think she explains away all the "perfect" heroines by stating that anyone who is of the Lore is a more physically perfect specimen than mere mortals. It's part of her mythos. But I do agree with you that it can get real old; real fast.

Interesting. I didn't realize the numbers were so skewed.

Actually, I've noticed something in Cole... evil and ugly almost always line up for her. The eeevil half brother who wanted to pray on Sabine, the eeeevil demon who raped Lucia, all of the eeeevil members of the Lore are uniformly monstrous. Meanwhile, the good guys are uniformly hot (with the occasional scar). I think the only average looking female ever described in the books was the female doctor who TORTURED Regin so horribly. Again, I love Cole, but I wish she'd push the limits a little here.

Quote:

I am, too. But I wonder when we're getting it? It seems as though Cole will need to finish out the Dacian trilogy first.

I'm not sure. It certainly felt like the set up was finally there for Thronos and Lanthe and the whole Sorceri thing is present in the Dacian world. Fingers crossed.

Quote:

Yeah, a lot of her heroines do, I would agree with that. And her heroes become progressively sillier as the series goes on.

Even though I have a high regard for Cole's books, I think some of her heroines in IAD sound like that, too. I didn't care for the story of Regin the Radiant for that reason.

I thought I would hate Regin's story for that reason, but it seemed like she was waaaaay toned down when she got her own book.
sanalayla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG wrote:

Actually, Aiken’s world has grown beyond “people who can turn into dragons”. There are witches, sorcerers, cults, gods, goddesses from different mythologies, dragons from different cultures and probably a few beings I’m forgetting. But the focus is still on the dragons and it’s still nowhere near as complex as Cole’s. Both worlds do feature females that are as strong, capable and bloodthirsty as the males (if not more so, in some cases), something I appreciate.

That's good to know. I may need to give it another shot. I did like Aiken's writing style and I also found the female characters to be written very well.

Quote:
I’ve also noticed what I feel are occasional inconsistencies in the rules of her world. For example, unblooded vampires can suddenly sire children when prior to Lothaire’s story there was no mention of this possibility (that I caught). I know she explained this, but the explanation didn’t feel organic to me, more like this is where she wanted the story to go, so she fudged the rules. Having said that, I do greatly enjoy her world and voice; she’s a, scrounge for change in the couch if I have to, autobuy author.

That's interesting... I'll have to go back and think about that when I'm doing a re-read. Out of all the vampire books, I've only ever really LOVED the Sebastian/Kaderin book. (And now I guess I can add "Shadow's Claim" to that list.)

Quote:
Her Changeling series is in third person. With only two exceptions, I can’t read/don’t enjoy first person, myself.

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but I do not like first person romance... it always strikes me as very one-dimensional. I really need to the hero's POV to enjoy the story.

Quote:

Oh yeah, totally. If I had to guess, I think it's going to be a secondary romance in the entire Dacian trilogy. My guess was that (SPOILER SPEC IN WHITE) Caspion has already figured out the vampire is his mate and it freaked him out & that's what made him leave the Dacian city. I also think that's why he was so resistant to getting together with Bettina... he never even bothered to TRY to see if she was his mate.
sanalayla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgie wrote:
I was wondering about that, too. I definitely got that vibe. At the risk of getting racy, erm, is anyone else hoping that Ulliam (sp?) and Munroe (the Lykae twins) will have the same mate? Pleeeeease let Cole go there.

Oh, that would be awesome. I'm assuming your thinking of angsty story that would follow? Or are you thinking of the hot threesome?

The other thing I would love to see is a situation where the same woman bloods a vampire and a lykae recognizes her as a mate. What do they do if that happens? Especially if the woman is a Valkyrie who doesn't have to have soulmate? That would be the ultimate love triangle in Cole's world (similarities to Twilight notwithstanding).

Quote:
YES! That was the short story. Ok, I'll try an LoU book.

Do start with Ione's "Demonica" series, though. It's better.

Quote:
Actually, I've noticed something in Cole... evil and ugly almost always line up for her. [...] Again, I love Cole, but I wish she'd push the limits a little here.

Yeah, that's true. I guess the Sorceri are supposed to be evil and they're hot. But that's about it.

Quote:
I thought I would hate Regin's story for that reason, but it seemed like she was waaaaay toned down when she got her own book.

She was toned down, but it still didn't work for me. It's been awhile since I read it, but I think the other thing I think I didn't like about it was how much of an overlap there was with other books.
LordRose

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG wrote:
I agree the Lore is certainly a complex world, so much so that sometimes it feels a bit unwieldy to me. I have a horrible memory so when an author creates a world that basically includes everything but the kitchen sink it can get real confusing real fast. I’ve also noticed what I feel are occasional inconsistencies in the rules of her world. For example, unblooded vampires can suddenly sire children when prior to Lothaire’s story there was no mention of this possibility (that I caught). I know she explained this, but the explanation didn’t feel organic to me, more like this is where she wanted the story to go, so she fudged the rules.

I was under the impression that what happened with Lothaire's father was that he was still young, and therefore could sire children because he hadn't "frozen" yet. (There wouldn't really have been any reason to bring it up before then, anyway, since there aren't any young natural born vampires in the present time.)

As for a possible M/M subplot, I would definitely be interested in seeing one. But how, exactly, would it work in the IAD world? Demons only recognize their mate after having sex with them, but presumably the prostitute(s) Caspion spent all night with would have noticed if he produced semen, and therefore Salem, the ever-friendly invisible voyeur, would have, too. And is it even possible for a vampire to recognize a man as their "bride"? (Groom?) And is it possible for them to recognize their bride before they've frozen? (And is it obvious I spend way too much of my time thinking about this?)

hedgie wrote:
Actually, I've noticed something in Cole... evil and ugly almost always line up for her. The eeevil half brother who wanted to pray on Sabine, the eeeevil demon who raped Lucia, all of the eeeevil members of the Lore are uniformly monstrous. Meanwhile, the good guys are uniformly hot (with the occasional scar). I think the only average looking female ever described in the books was the female doctor who TORTURED Regin so horribly. Again, I love Cole, but I wish she'd push the limits a little here.

This was actually something that's really been bothering me throughout the whole series. For example, in Shadow's Claim, pretty much every one of Bettina's suitors was described as repulsive AND evil. Like the pus demon, which you just know is going to be evil because how could it ever be a hero? I suppose there are some non-repulsive evil characters, but they tend to be from species that have also been heroes and heroines. And every single good character is portrayed as amazingly beautiful or handsome. This seems to be pretty common in fantasy and paranormals, and it's something that's always bothered me.

I'd actually be quite interested in seeing one of the more non-human species as a hero/heroine. I was really very intrigued by the possibilities of Cerunnos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: