AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Was the Author THINKING?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: What Was the Author THINKING? Reply with quote

Reading today's review of SPELLFIRE, a series I've never read, I was scratching my head in wonder of the author's choice in characters' names. Whoever would name a hero--and a paranormal one, at that--RABBIT and the heroine MYRINNE (which sounds like an eye wash to me).

Can you think of other choices, that you thought, "Why, oh why?" of an author?
LynnS/AAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes character names put me off, too. I know they have a massive following, but I have to admit that I find the character names in Black Dagger Brotherhood very off-putting. I mean, Rhage? Vishous? Zsadist and Phury?

I also remember finding some of those Barbara Cartland heroine names hilarious, too. In her later books, I noticed that the heroine's name always had to end with the letter "a" and there were some crazy ones. Delisia, Ila and Zoleka are some of the stranger ones I recall. I always assumed that the author started running out of names after a while.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Brockmann have a heroine named Dolphina? That to me was the worst. Just nonsensical.

maggie b.
willaful

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phury will always be Furry to me. Can just NOT take him seriously.

The worst I ever encoutered was this: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67511.Guilty_Pleasures . The hero is named (or nicknamed, presumably, at least one hopes!) Nasty. I couldn't get past the first page.
Dreaming of You

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willaful wrote:
Phury will always be Furry to me. Can just NOT take him seriously.

The worst I ever encoutered was this: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67511.Guilty_Pleasures . The hero is named (or nicknamed, presumably, at least one hopes!) Nasty. I couldn't get past the first page.

Sadly I've actually met a Nasty in real life. And yes this was his real name given to him by his mother and on his birth certificate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: