AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audiobook Bargains

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jane A

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Audiobook Bargains Reply with quote

I've recently become hooked on audiobooks, now I can do chores, exercise, etc. and keep up with my book addiction! So I thought perhaps I'd start a bargain thread for those who are enjoying audiobooks, also.

Audible has Thea Harrison's Dragon Bound on sale for $7.95 (regularly $19.59)
Also, Tantor Audio has a load of books on sale for $4.99. They carry such authors as Jennifer Ashley, Julie James, Nalini Singh and Ilona Andrews.
AngieMB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane, there is a group on Goodreads devoted to Romance Audiobooks. There are some great threads about the latest audiobook sales, recommendations, etc. that you should check out. Here's the link - http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/39149-romance-audiobooks

Also, a site called Audiogals is great for reviews and anything audiobooks.
http://www.audiogals.net

So, what are your favorite audiobooks so far?
Jane A

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links!

I started with Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress stories of Cat and Bones from my library and loved them. Also tried a few other titles and found I have a real problem with "whiney" narrators. The reading of Jennifer Crusie's Agnes and the Hitman, for example, which was a DNF. I also picked up Natural Born Charmer, a book I loved. It was good in audiobook, but again IMHO Ana Field's voice has a hint of a whine that I had to block out. I am sure this is sacrilege to some people as her audiobooks seem so highly regarded. Smile I just finished Dragon Bound, which I'd never read, and really loved it, both narration and story. And now I am listening to something completely different. A freebie from Audible, Anne Hathaway's reading of The Wizard of Oz, and her voice is fabulous.

I must say I've never enjoyed exercising, cleaning the house and gardening so much!
AngieMB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane A wrote:
Thanks for the links!

I started with Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress stories of Cat and Bones from my library and loved them. Also tried a few other titles and found I have a real problem with "whiney" narrators. The reading of Jennifer Crusie's Agnes and the Hitman, for example, which was a DNF. I also picked up Natural Born Charmer, a book I loved. It was good in audiobook, but again IMHO Ana Field's voice has a hint of a whine that I had to block out. I am sure this is sacrilege to some people as her audiobooks seem so highly regarded. Smile I just finished Dragon Bound, which I'd never read, and really loved it, both narration and story. And now I am listening to something completely different. A freebie from Audible, Anne Hathaway's reading of The Wizard of Oz, and her voice is fabulous.

I must say I've never enjoyed exercising, cleaning the house and gardening so much!

I loved the Cat and Bones books, too. They really got me going in the paranormal genre which I'd had trouble getting into before I started listening to audiobooks. I think that Tavia Gilbert (the narrator for the Jeaniene Frost books) narrates The Wizard of Oz, too. Maybe you'll have to compare versions.

I am actually one of Anna Fields' fans, although it took me a couple of books until I really loved her. I listened to First Lady and just wasn't thrilled with her hero's or heroine's voices, but then I listened to Match Me If You Can and fell in love with her. But every narrator is not for everybody. There are a lot of popular ones that I don't enjoy.

I started Dragon Bound sometime last year and enjoyed the narration, but for some reason I didn't get into the book. I am planning to give it another try though at some point because everybody seems to love that book.

You should also give Molly Harper's books a try. She's a great writer and the narrator for her books fits perfectly with them. I could go on all day about my favorites. In fact I really want to go back and re-listen to a bunch of them, but I have so many that I haven't listened to the first time. They really pile up fast.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngieMB wrote:

I am actually one of Anna Fields' fans, although it took me a couple of books until I really loved her. I listened to First Lady and just wasn't thrilled with her hero's or heroine's voices, but then I listened to Match Me If You Can and fell in love with her. But every narrator is not for everybody. There are a lot of popular ones that I don't enjoy.

I love Fields' narration of Lisa Gardner's books, especially Gone. Quincy's voice when he gets the phone call just stops my heart.

Just this week I finally picked up Shirley Tallman's Sarah Woolson books again. After hearing Fields read the first two, Carrington McDuffie trying to sound like Anna Fields was just too sad and distracting, I set the books aside for a couple of years.
Jane A

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngieMB wrote:

I loved the Cat and Bones books, too. They really got me going in the paranormal genre which I'd had trouble getting into before I started listening to audiobooks. I think that Tavia Gilbert (the narrator for the Jeaniene Frost books) narrates The Wizard of Oz, too. Maybe you'll have to compare versions.

I started Dragon Bound sometime last year and enjoyed the narration, but for some reason I didn't get into the book. I am planning to give it another try though at some point because everybody seems to love that book.

You should also give Molly Harper's books a try. She's a great writer and the narrator for her books fits perfectly with them. I could go on all day about my favorites. In fact I really want to go back and re-listen to a bunch of them, but I have so many that I haven't listened to the first time. They really pile up fast.

I think the problem with Ana Fields reading is that she has been so highly praised that I was expecting more and I found her enjoyable but I was not wowed. I will try more, though, as I love SEP and I had fun listening to Natural Born Charmer.

I finished Anne Hathaway's reading of The Wizard of Oz and she was probably the best narrator I've heard so far in my limited listening repertoire. I was in awe of her talent.

I liked Dragon Bound a lot, and graded it highly, but do have to admit that Pia had begun to grate on me a little by the end of the book. She had a tendency to be TSTL which is always annoying. At this point in my romance reading life a little part of me wishes those heroines would just die. Smile

Thanks for your thoughts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: