AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Real chemistry...can anyone recommend?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lila LeCavalier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Real chemistry...can anyone recommend? Reply with quote

I'm only just dipping my toes into the world of romance, so I'm looking for some good recommendations. Can anyone suggest any titles with steamy sex scenes etc etc, but where it really feels like the hero and heroine have a REASON to be together, besides just lust.
I'm more interested in the buildup of chemistry and the relationship dynamic than anything. Any recommendations I will happily check out!
Thanks!
maryskl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any genre you are particularly interested in?

Contemporary:
most of Linda Howard's books
Rachel Gibson's books
Paradise and Perfect by Judith McNaught
Susan Elizabeth Phillips books

Historical:
Once in a Blue Moon by Penelope Williamson
By Possession by Madeline Hunter
Lord of Scoundrels, The Last Hellion and Lord Perfect by Loretta Chase
My Beloved, Upon a Wicked Time, Til Next We Meet, After the Kiss by Karen Ranney
Kaki Warner's books
Ellen O'Connell's books
Night in Eden by Candace Proctor
The Shadow and the Star by Laura Kinsale (plus all of her other books)
Lila LeCavalier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank you for this list! I'm actually equally fond of contemporary and historical, I'm just not into sci-fi, fantasy, that sort of thing.

I have actually heard of Linda Howard, but the rest are new to me. I will be going on a buying kick I think. Smile

Thanks a lot!
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might what to try Lisa Kleypas historicals. I think she does a wonderful job developing relationships. The Wall Flower series or the Hathaway series are good blaces to start.
She began writing contemporaries a few years ago. I've only read one. Blue Eyed Devil. While it was pretty good, I prefer her historicals.

Good luck and happy reading:)
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of romance.

I feel like these authors because of their characters chemistry and dialouge really made me a true romance fan that has lasted 20 years.

Some may be older works of theirs but I just think it was their best. I'm including contemporary suspense romance as well as historical for you to choose when you are in the mood.

Nora Roberts: She's really good in matching characters where you just think they are perfect for each other. Her sex scenes are passionate/fun too.
Honest Illusions/Montana Sky/Sweet Revenge

Early Tami Hoag: Good at suspense matching characters
Still Waters/Cry Wolf/Nigth Sins/Guilty as Sin/Dark Paradise

Lyndsay Sands: Love her historicals with fun sex scenes adds humor and you like the interactions of hero and heroine and want them to end up together despite the obstacles. They are cute.
The Key/Bliss/The Deed/

Anything by Laura Kinsale and Judith Ivory because I think that when you are a great author you know how to match the two characters where everyone knows they are meant to be....
LFL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I Did for a Duke by Julie Anne Long
Lord Perfect by Loretta Chase

These are the two that most come to mind.
maryskl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lila LeCavalier wrote:
Oh thank you for this list! I'm actually equally fond of contemporary and historical, I'm just not into sci-fi, fantasy, that sort of thing.

I have actually heard of Linda Howard, but the rest are new to me. I will be going on a buying kick I think. Smile

Thanks a lot!

Let us know which ones you like and which ones you don't.
Lila LeCavalier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank so much, all! I will get reading and come back and report on my findings! Smile
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want something steamy *and* a bit of character development, I'd go with Sandra Brown's "Slow Heat in Heaven." I'd also recommend Linda Howard's "Kill and Tell," however, I thought -- no matter how hot the scene -- that that relationship moved rather quickly.

There's a pretty momentous love scene in Marsha Moyers' "The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch." But, lovemaking between the main characters is really not the focus. Wonderful book, however.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:

There's a pretty momentous love scene in Marsha Moyers' "The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch." But, lovemaking between the main characters is really not the focus. Wonderful book, however.

There's a very positive review of the Moyer book here at AAR. I liked this book a lot and even got my non-romance reading book club to read it.

Even though they are not classified as romance, The Monk Downstairs and The Monk Upstairs by Tim Farrington are quite sweet and romantic. They also, while not at all inspirationals, treat religion with respect, which I quite liked.
mirole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second suggestions of Linda Howard, Sandra Brown.

The ones that were not mentioned here - Mary Jo Putney, her Thunder and Roses has the greatest buildup of sexual tension which somewhat fizzles after the h and the H consummate their relationship.

In this regard I found Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips unique - it has very steamy scenes well after the first love scene.

Also, please read Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas - I was feverish hust anticipating each of their next encounters
Eliza

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Lisa Kleypas's historicals. Her books are extremely well liked by a lot of romance readers including me.

I also suggest taking a look at AAR's various Top 100 lists to see which books hold readers' loyalty over time. Here's the latest one: http://likesbooks.com/top1002010results.htm Other years' top 100s are noted at the bottom of this latest one.

FWIW, this latest list has these Lisa Kleypas books at 2. Dreaming of You, and at 3. Devil in Winter, as well as quite a few more.

This link -- http://www.lisakleypas.com/historical.asp -- will give you the series orders and the standalones, while this link -- http://www.lisakleypas.com/bookhoppers.asp -- will give you "book hopping characters."

Back to the top of the 100 list, I also especially liked Lord of Scoundrels (Chase), The Raven Prince (Hoyt), and The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Ashley).

For contemporaries, Mr Perfect (Howard) and Bet Me (Crusie) are tops with me.

Edited to add: Almost forgot Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens (who can always be counted on to be steamy), The Proposition by Judith Ivory -- both historicals -- and a contemp, Kill and Tell by Linda Howard.
sanalayla

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give us some examples of books you read recently that you loved? That might help narrow down the list.

* I third the rec for Lisa Kleypas... she's amazing. I'd start with the Wallflower series & then I'd read her contemporary series (the one that starts with Sugar Daddy). Then I'd read her Hathaway series.

* Julia Quinn's Bridgertons' series is quite good. Some better than others. Best to read this in order.

* Eloisa James' Essex Sisters quartet is good. The first two were excellent; the last two were just OK (imo).

* Susan Elizabeth Philips. I enjoyed "Match Me if You Can". Her football series is rather hit-and-miss and everyone has different ones they love. Her older books read in a very dated fashion, so I'd be wary of that. I really loved "Ain't She Sweet" but a lot of people hated it.

* Rachel Gibson's "See Jane Score" is very good. Excellent character development and fun characters (very sexy; excellent smut).

* Susan Donovan's "He Loves Lucy". Also, her "Kept Woman" is quite good, although very 'old school' in terms of plot (fake engagement plot). I love fake marriage and fake engagement plots, so I was pre-disposed to enjoy it.

* Julie James: Her books are sexy (hot, not burning) and have excellent character development. I'm partial to her first book the most ("Just the Sexiest Man Alive").

* Victoria Dahl's "Real Men" series was fun for me. I think she's a better contemp writer than historical writer.

* Celeste Bradley's "Liar's Club" series is a bit old now (I guess 7-10 years old?) but I really loved that series when I read it.
Natalie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contemporary:
Katherine Sutcliffe - Darkling I Listen
Pamela Clare - Unlawful Contact
Elizabeth Lowell - To the Ends of the Earth

Historicals:
Judith Ivory - Untie My Heart
Mary Jo Putney - The Shattered Rainbows
Patricia Gaffney - To Have and to Hold
Meredith Duran - The Duke of Shadows, At Your Pleasure
Suzanne Robinson - Lady Gallant
Elizabeth Hoyt - The Serpent Prince
Darlene Marshall - Sea Change

Scifi/Paranormal
Justine Davis - Lord of the Storm
Nalini Singh - Archangel series
JenL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have mentioned, Lisa Kleypas, "The Raven Prince" by Elizabeth Hoyt

A new favorite of mine that only has 1 steamy scene but is an awesome story: "A Candle in the Dark" by Megan Chance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: