AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Between the Devil and Ian Eversea by Julie Anne Long

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Between the Devil and Ian Eversea by Julie Anne Long Reply with quote

Has anyone read this yet?

When I looked up whether it had been reviewed here (I find reviews here to be very often in sync with my tastes), it was noted that it was reviewed on 3/7 in Pandora's Box, but when I looked up P's Box here, I couldn't find it. What am I missing?
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check the blogs, Lynda? I remember reading the interviews and I think I might have read them there. I'm hoping to get to this one sometime in April if I can fit it into my crazy schedule. I do want to read it though!
Manda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is! It was on the daily blog.

http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=11834
Lynda X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really like the first couple of chapters that I read, but this got such rave reviews on Amazon and I like the author, so I downloaded it. I regret that. I read over half of the book. I was bored most of the time and didn't like either the h or the h. Oh, well, I've won with a couple of books lately*, so you can't win them all. I guess.

"Three Weeks with Lady X" and "Fool Me Twice"
graceC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
I didn't really like the first couple of chapters that I read"

Me too. It took me 4 days to finish the book. The H/H were undoubtably the most boring couple I've ever read recently. Even the story's boring. Olivia appears quite a bit in this book and I'm not sure that I like her. She comes across as one of those insufferable holier than thou do gooders. The story picks up a little bit in the end, but not enough to redeem it.
Pan's Wife

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I was debating about buying it and hesitated because of some of the reviews. Julia Anne Long's books often dip below $3 for Kindle, so I think I will wait for this one to go on sale and work on getting my TBR backlog under control.
Kayne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I hung in till the end to read more about Olivia and Lyon. Anyone know if either will be getting a story soon? I actually think Landsdowne deserves better than Olivia. I liked her less in this book.
PJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it!

My one problem is that Ian and Tansy spend the first half of the book merely observing each other and don't really interact until midway through. Poor Tansy briefly suffered through an unrequited love for Captain Eversea. Other than that, the actual interactions are lovely and the chemistry between the characters is strong.

I must say, that I REALLY enjoy novels in which the heroines really shouldn't be heroines and that might turn other readers off. Tansy flits about, she has an effervescent quality to her, and she has a selfish streak. She's astonishingly beautiful and drives men wild, but she enjoys every bit of it. She even has a moment where she worries that someone might think her to be plain. Personally, I loved it!

She's the heroine's rival, she's the "airhead" debutante the heroine scoffs at or the the jilted, overly beautiful fiancee. But, the author humanizes that character. Gives her a grit, endurance, and a backbone.
Yulie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who's responsible for the book titles at Avon, but they have a lot to answer for.

That's all I have to say. I don't really get Long's books and never did.
jaime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These books are an example of a series that has dragged on too long getting to the last couple in the series. And I have stopped rooting for them to get together because of the way what's-her-name and her suitor - who is a perfectly lovely man - and who is sure to be dumped hard by her as soon as the wayward hero finally returns.

Not a scenario I see as desirable in my romance reading.

As to the current book in the series - I was bored by both the hero and the heroine and found their relationship very paint-by-the-numbers.
PJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think the Olivia, Lyon and the third party suitor (now fiancee) storyline is tedious and I'm aware that this is an unpopular opinion.

I understand there's supposed to be something mythic or epic about their unfulfilled love (hell, they're compared to Romeo and Juliet and Tristan and Isolde in this book), but I don't buy it.

I don't care for the concept of a "romantic series" that is usually strung together by the thinnest of threads. I don't read books in order and I don't read every novel that comprises a series. I don't plan on reading Olivia and Lyon's book. I've read four books in this particular series, enjoyed each one, and I like the character Long gives to Pennyroyal as a setting (it makes visiting enjoyable for the reader), but when it gets to Olivia pining for Lyon I tune out and I'm pretty sure my eyes glaze over. In Ian and Tansy's book, the only section I skimmed was Olivia forcing herself to accept a marriage proposal that was a total distraction from the fun little description of Ian saving the men of Sussex from Tansy.
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really got into JAL or the Pennyroyal Green series, even though I've found occasional individual books nice, but I think I'm hitting a period where if I see a heroine described to be astonishingly, amazingly beautiful, I'll stop reading. I can't stand it any more. So I read the first chapter of Ian's book and dropped it.

My more recent hot button issues unfortunately coincide with most of JAL's books. Larger than life characters. Amazing beautiful people. Incredibly shortened time periods. And single-sentence paragraphs.
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ...
Quote:
"I do think the Olivia, Lyon and the third party suitor (now fiancee) storyline is tedious and I'm aware that this is an unpopular opinion."

Like you I read her books because I enjoy her writing rather than because of one specific couple. I haven't actually been following the Olivia/Lyon set up closely enough to care much one way or the other when that couple's story arrives. As long as each individual book is good, I don't care if the books go on indefinitely, and that's primarily because I enjoy the setting of the bucolic Pennyroyal Green and its relationship to London and vice versa. Pennyroyal Green always felt like the main protagonist, especially earlier in the series. In the earlier books in particular I really like the way that the entire village gets enfolded into the main characters' lives and that there is a variety of interesting secondary characters to follow. The feuding families premise does resonate a bit with the basic premise of R&J. Some of the Pennyroyal Green books are among my favorite romances, including What I Did for a Duke and Like No Other Lover. Her most recent couple of books haven't been as good for me, but I haven't yet read JAL's newest release and do want to get to it soon.
jaime

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only two historical romance series in which I read every single book in the series were the Hathaway series by Lisa Kleypas (I just love that family as a family) and The Desperate Duchesses by Eloisa James. And I stuck with that series because of one character, Villiers, who appears in all these books. So even if I wasn't equally enamoured with all the couples I was always entertained by Villiers. And that was enough.

Most of the time I find that series are very uneven in quality or maybe it's just that even if I really enjoy one couple there is no guarantee I'll like the next one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: