AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The King by J.R. Ward

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aiven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: The King by J.R. Ward Reply with quote

This new format Ward is doing with this series is just not working for me. I get that she isn't really writing "romance novels" anymore--it's basically paranormal sprinkled with erotica. Which I would normally be ok with, but the amount of jumping around in this book is driving me crazy. We've got three or four relationships going with narrative omniscience into both halves of each couple. We've got flashbacks featuring another relationship. There are cameos of other couples that made me question why I ever liked them in the first place. (Doc Jane, I'm looking at you.) Ugh.

I do approve of the decision to push the lessers into the background, because they were never a compelling villain anyway, but the new villains are equally 2 dimensional. (Xcor might be an exception to this, but I am only 2/3 of the way through.) I have no idea why Wrath would give a crap about wanting to rule over these people. They glymera have no redeeming value, and we've never met the "commoners" before, so I'm not really sure why Wrath ever took up the crown in the first place. They seem to be fine without him, and vice versa.

Because the main storyline is so cluttered up with subplots and I'm annoyed by all the POV changes, I'm finding myself more irked than ever at Ward's weird quirks. She did find her "?" key, but only uses it about 10% of the time it would normally be required. The pop culture/brand name name dropping just makes her sound out of touch or like she's trying too hard. The fixation with the Goth subculture also seems rooted in the late 90s/early 2000's.

I dunno. I'll finish it, but I've started skimming chapters featuring characters I don't care about. There's some good stuff in here--commentary about racism/classism/sexism, gender roles, etc. It's not a total loss. It just feels sloppy. I guess she's popular enough now that her editors are just green-lighting her manuscripts, which is too bad, because there's a good book in here somewhere.
Trish B

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I haven't read this book, I agree with many of your thoughts about the direction of this series. I just may be done with Ms Ward's books. I still have yet to read her last one as I was never all that interested in Qhuinn and Blay anyway. I didn't care about either one of them. And I agree that the Lessers got less interesting and the demise of Lash seemed to signal the last of the real bad guys.

I didn't love Xhex and John's story nor Thor's so I think I may not be reading another Ward. I'll just go back and re-read books one through three as they are the most satisfying of the series.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish she would write more of her books as Jessica Bird. I really liked her series with Billionaire next door.

Trish B wrote:
Though I haven't read this book, I agree with many of your thoughts about the direction of this series. I just may be done with Ms Ward's books. I still have yet to read her last one as I was never all that interested in Qhuinn and Blay anyway. I didn't care about either one of them. And I agree that the Lessers got less interesting and the demise of Lash seemed to signal the last of the real bad guys.

I didn't love Xhex and John's story nor Thor's so I think I may not be reading another Ward. I'll just go back and re-read books one through three as they are the most satisfying of the series.
MEK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the BDB books when I was first getting back into reading Romance, and I was thrilled by how unique they were. I was used to Romance from the 90s and had only ever read historicals or contemporary, so this was something totally fun and different.

I hung in there...barely...through Tohr's book, and then I couldn't take it anymore. The lack of consistency in his characterization, plus all the other things you mentioned, aiven, finally pushed me over the edge. There were also a lot of characters I just didn't like, and the pairings were weird. John and Xhex being one of the strangest.

The thing is, I kinda got mad about it! (no, I didn't do anything rude) Then I realized, its her series and not mine, so suck it up and move on. I still wish they were like the first 4.
angela

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I have long ago given up on J.R. Ward. I only reread books 2 and 3 out of all the BDB series, and even then I often skip certain parts (the lessers, and other POV changes not related to the main characters of the story, etc).
utoeid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at a loss as to why she is failing to keep ties with what made her so very popular. The series (while still a solid read) is no longer my destination read and I do not buy her books but borrow from a friend or the library. It's almost like she is cannabalizing her talent for the sake of doing what is popular in the market. However what made her books so exciting to read is that no one else I read wrote like her.

Personally I don't mind the multiple POV's because lord knows if we wait for her we'd never find out anything about the earlier and more popular characters but I do hear that in the King nary a one makes an appearance. I guess if it is a $$ grab for her that is her right but I am looking elsewhere for my paranormal romantic fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: