AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Falling Home by Karen White

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lqstark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Falling Home by Karen White Reply with quote

I came across this book by accident. I had never read Karen White before, but my friend at the library had put Karen White's "After the Rain" on reserve for me thinking I would enjoy it. When I found that it was the sequel to "Falling Home", I took it out and read it first. I did not have much hope for the book, since this site had given it an "F" when it was reviewed. I have been reading books for over 40 years. "Falling Home" is only the second book that actually made me cry. The reviewer took exception to many things in the book, but one of her main problems was the negative comparison the author expressed about the people and the lifestyles of those who live in the northeast and those who live in small towns in the country's heartland. I lived the first 55 years of my life in a suburb of Philadelphia - I have lived the last three in the bible belt. I can tell you from living in both places that the book correctly describes the differences in the warmth of the people and the small town lifestyle. Living in the heartland is like living on a another planet. I no longer feel the need to have an alarm system in my home or to lock my car doors. Strangers acknowledge each other with smiles and actually talk to each others in stores, banks, restaurants, etc. Strangers driving by will wave to you as you work out in your yard or walk your dog. And I hate to admit it but I have had to clean up my language, because people here do not use coarse words to express themselves in their everyday speech. I guess I am writing this post to point out that one person's trash may very well be another person's treasure. In the past, I have often passed up on a book that had a bad rating. "Falling Home" has shown me that I was wrong to do that. I won't do it anymore.
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read Falling Home so I can't comment on that one. The premise of After the Rain sounded interesting and I had credit on my audio book account so I bought that one.

I didn't love it and I didn't hate it.

I did find it strange that no one thought it a big deal that the hero of the story jilted one sister to marry another -- which is the premise of the book of the book you are talking about.

I didn't realize that there was a review here of Falling Home. I will have to go read it.

Karen White's books must be doing well. Her next book will be out in hb sometime in the Spring or Summer - I don't know which.

I have it on my list to read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: