AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
I wish AAR would. . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jaime



Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 525

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jillian wrote:
I wish AAR was interesting, or at least relevant, again. I do not suppose we can go back to the last decade, but I sure miss the days when the discussions were discussions and everyone had an opinion and no one minced words. AAR has been soooooooo boring lately that I only check in every few days. Where have all the interesting discussions gone ?


I am willing to discuss, I have opinions and am pretty blunt about them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leigh



Joined: 29 May 2007
Posts: 2689

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Always wanting more... Reply with quote

Lane wrote:
It would be great if Reviews in the Works were updated.
I was using this feature to keep track of upcoming books.
Has it been abandoned?


It is better to use the books on sale feature because there are books that don't get reviewed. Here is the link to the December books:
http://www.likesbooks.com/release-december12.html

I use www.fictiondb.com too for finding new releases. You can look months in advance. I also use http://www.fictfact.com/bookreleasecalendar.aspx?currentdate=122012
_________________
Gone to Rainbow Bridge - Lily 2000-2011
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LynnS/AAR



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jillian wrote:
I wish AAR was interesting, or at least relevant, again. I do not suppose we can go back to the last decade, but I sure miss the days when the discussions were discussions and everyone had an opinion and no one minced words. AAR has been soooooooo boring lately that I only check in every few days. Where have all the interesting discussions gone ?


As a few other commenters have noted, if readers want interesting discussions, the reading community plays a part in that. We never intended AAR to be a one-sided conversation by the staff. That's why there have been message boards and blogs here as well as reviews. If there's something that anyone wants to have an interesting discussion about, then by all means, start a new topic on the message board or comment on the blog. I'd love to see people talking about books, romance and Romlandia,too!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have noticed the message boards a little more quiet. But I attribute that to the season, which at this time usually appears to be slow with new issues and releases. It should pick up once again in January, when more books become available. At least, that's what I think. Since ending the In Death series, I haven't read a book good enough to write about here. Of course, I use the library system, which is a bit slower, especially in these still difficult economic times.

There's also the fact that I have almost stopped reading historical romance, with some exceptions, depending on the author. That leaves me with contemporary romance and suspense/mystery books and even then I'm a bit selective with those. Considering how much I formerly read even just a few years ago, it's amazing how little I'm reading now. Perhaps it's just another cycle. For me, then, fewer genres to read equals less reading which results in less participation on the boards, but I still check in most every day.

As a side note, I had to smile at some of the comments where people mentioned they missed the stirring debates. That may be true, but we were certainly called on the carpet when the "stirring" became too much for some readers. For the most part, I felt that most of those heated dialogues were kept in check; but when the criticisms kept arising from the same few, then those threads eventually lost steam and died. Since then, it appears that we've become maybe a bit too cautious in giving opinions, even though that's the name of the game here. Again, my opinion is most posters here know how to disagree (and agree) tactfully and respectfully, but may be a bit too conscious now of having the caution flag waved. Hey--just my opinion, and not meant to create waves. (See what I mean? Trying to be cautious.) Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dick



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 2508

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the boards are boring lately. Somebody (else) needs to be outrageously critical of romance fiction. Enjoying reading a genre doesn't mean one shouldn't think about it too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
I. Again, my opinion is most posters here know how to disagree (and agree) tactfully and respectfully, but may be a bit too conscious now of having the caution flag waved. Hey--just my opinion, and not meant to create waves. (See what I mean? Trying to be cautious.) Very Happy


Yeah, I can see exactly what you mean Tee. *cough* Thank you for saying it. Smile

Now for those that want to complain about there not being enough interesting discussion please start a new 'interesting' topic, put your money where your mouth is. For those that complain AAR isn't as relevant as it used to be, do you what you can to set that in motion aside from complaining that it's not there. It's not a one way street. If you want debates and heated discussions don't complain when the kitchen gets too hot. It seems to me that people want it both ways, or they want to complain about lack of content without doing their part to add to it.

Just sayin'!

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Tee wrote:
I. Again, my opinion is most posters here know how to disagree (and agree) tactfully and respectfully, but may be a bit too conscious now of having the caution flag waved. Hey--just my opinion, and not meant to create waves. (See what I mean? Trying to be cautious.) Very Happy


Yeah, I can see exactly what you mean Tee. *cough* Thank you for saying it. Smile

Now for those that want to complain about there not being enough interesting discussion please start a new 'interesting' topic, put your money where your mouth is. For those that complain AAR isn't as relevant as it used to be, do you what you can to set that in motion aside from complaining that it's not there. It's not a one way street. If you want debates and heated discussions don't complain when the kitchen gets too hot. It seems to me that people want it both ways, or they want to complain about lack of content without doing their part to add to it.

Just sayin'!

Linda



Yes...what you said, and what Tee said. Can't have it both ways. Hearts and Flowers or real discussions.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pop Tart



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 126

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As a side note, I had to smile at some of the comments where people mentioned they missed the stirring debates. That may be true, but we were certainly called on the carpet when the "stirring" became too much for some readers. For the most part, I felt that most of those heated dialogues were kept in check; but when the criticisms kept arising from the same few, then those threads eventually lost steam and died. Since then, it appears that we've become maybe a bit too cautious in giving opinions, even though that's the name of the game here. Again, my opinion is most posters here know how to disagree (and agree) tactfully and respectfully, but may be a bit too conscious now of having the caution flag waved. Hey--just my opinion, and not meant to create waves. (See what I mean? Trying to be cautious.)


I remember those discussion wars of old and they were certainly fascinating to see (in a 'seeing a car wreck' kind of a way sometimes). I too miss them. But I don't think the change in tone is just because we've become too polite. I think romance discussion on the web has been a learning curve.

When we were having those discussions, the ability to actually have the discussions was totally new. Suddenly we had a whole new world of romance critique and criticism going on and anyone could join in. But because it was new everyone had to learn how to deal. There was a lot of enthusiasm and everyone was thrilled to be able to talk about romances with other romance readers.

A lot has happened since then. Not only have we had many of the discussions already - those ones that sparked such commentary - but the books have changed as well. Think about the big, big debates we had about rape vs. forced seduction. Now the hottest thing on the market is a BDSM novel. How's anyone supposed to get into a terrible swivet about anything when anything goes?

I hate to say it (because it makes me feel old) but I think romance readers (in the online community anyway) have matured. Bah. So sad, but I think it's true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynda X



Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 1465

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the column that AAR runs monthly, highlighting books their reviewers are looking forward to the following month. It is fun looking forward to the most popular authors. It used to be that at the same time, AAR would post that month's entire listing of books for sale (for example, posting Dec.'s books in November). However, for the past two months or so, this hasn't been done. I tried to find Dec.'s books today, but nothing's there. Is it possible to post these, as AAR has done in the past?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Pop Tart



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 126

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.likesbooks.com/release-december12.html

Is this the list you're looking for?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cawm



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 210
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
Jillian wrote:
I wish AAR was interesting, or at least relevant, again....

FWIW, I agree.

I really miss the old AAR, but I think most of the old posters are long gone, and what passes for discussion now is mostly cheering for favorite authors and books.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop Tart, you point out a few things that make total sense. Except the thought that we're getting older (won't accept that one). Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop Tart wrote:
[ Now the hottest thing on the market is a BDSM novel. How's anyone supposed to get into a terrible swivet about anything when anything goes?
.


Very interesting point! I think you are right here with the exception of just one book/series that's out there right now. The Siren by Tiffany Riesz, there is plenty in this book to get in a swivet about and get into a swivet I did. Embarassed Very Happy

Kinda scary how far the envelope has to be pushed now to invite controversy.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chris booklover



Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 321
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just AAR. Irrespective of format or perspective, virtually all the Romance forums and websites that I know have fewer lively discussions than they did a few years ago. I don't know why that is the case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kayne



Joined: 31 Mar 2007
Posts: 901

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was a way to respond to a post as an indent below it. I see this on the Today on the Blog responses and really like it. For example, I would like to respond more often to posts on the Recently Read topic about the books that are mentioned but I wonder if its just a place to post what you are reading and not necessarily to respond to what others have posted. I think it would be nice if posters could respond to specific posts with indentations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group