AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I wish AAR would. . .
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: I wish AAR would. . . Reply with quote

I wish AAR would review books when they were actually on the shelves, not before they are available. After reading the glowing review of "A Notorious Countess Confesses," I was all excited to download it. I wanted a great book on this rainy day when I haven't read one in weeks and weeks--it seems. But no, it's not available for about 11 more days. I'm afraid by that time, I will have forgotten it.
BRN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: I wish AAR would. . . Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
I wish AAR would review books when they were actually on the shelves, not before they are available.

Most publishers want reviewers to post reviews for upcoming books on or the week leading up to the release date for the very reason you mentioned. I agree that posting a review for an upcoming book almost two weeks before the release date is too soon, except for posting reviews on Goodreads. If the review is going to be on a blog or website, I think the day of the release is best.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't AAR always posted reviews before the book's drop date?
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an ebook you can usually preorder it as you can a print book.

Linda
Viking Princess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let us use avatars with fun efffects.
Yulie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch to vBulletin or any other decent forum software already. The current version is woefully outdated and not user friendly. Also, the smileys suck.

Viking Princess wrote:
let us use avatars with fun efffects.

I hope this never happens. All those gif avatars give me headaches.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
I hope this never happens. All those gif avatars give me headaches.

That makes two of us!
paintedmoon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish AAR would make sure that the reviews are checked for errors in grammar, punctuation and sentence structure.

I absolutely love this site with its wealth of information, discussion, resources and new reviews, but it is a pet peeve of mine to read a review riddled with errors on a site whose main goal is the discussion of what constitutes "good writing." And frustration with the lack of copy editing for the literature we read is a frequent topic. In recent months there have been reviews posted with 3-6 errors IN ONE PARAGRAPH.

Please require your reviewers to learn how to use punctuation (commas and hyphens in particular) or to find someone who will proof and correct it for them before it gets published here.
Salaisuus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please require your reviewers to learn how to use punctuation (commas and hyphens in particular)

I'm with paintedmoon on this. It is almost impossible to read a review that is riddled with bizarre comma and hyphen use. Commas used in the wrong places do actually change the meaning of the sentence and completely disrupt the flow of the sentence or the paragraph if they are used in a weird place. If you see, what I mean.
blytheaar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:
Hasn't AAR always posted reviews before the book's drop date?

We will post reviews up to half a month before the pub date - which actually is later than some sites. Our main timeline constraint is that we want the review to stay on the new reviews page throughout the book's pub month. So we will post a November review starting on October 15. You can always pre-order a book or put it on your wish list.

As to grammar and punctuation, all our reviews are edited and always have been. I am sure there are errors that get through; that can happen anywhere. We try to catch everything we can.
utoeid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: I wish AAR would recycle... Reply with quote

Recycle some of these threads. I visit here infrequently and see the same threads making the rounds. IMO once a topic becomes a "super topic" It should be put in a section like the Desert Isle Keepers. This gives newer topics a chance to see the light of day.
Jillian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish AAR was interesting, or at least relevant, again. I do not suppose we can go back to the last decade, but I sure miss the days when the discussions were discussions and everyone had an opinion and no one minced words. AAR has been soooooooo boring lately that I only check in every few days. Where have all the interesting discussions gone ?
Nana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jillian wrote:
I wish AAR was interesting, or at least relevant, again. I do not suppose we can go back to the last decade, but I sure miss the days when the discussions were discussions and everyone had an opinion and no one minced words. AAR has been soooooooo boring lately that I only check in every few days. Where have all the interesting discussions gone ?

Well, that's kind of up to you, isn't it?
Lane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Always wanting more... Reply with quote

It would be great if Reviews in the Works were updated.
I was using this feature to keep track of upcoming books.
Has it been abandoned?
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jillian wrote:
I wish AAR was interesting, or at least relevant, again....

FWIW, I agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: