AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Trouble with Being a Writer Is...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_laverdiere

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: The Trouble with Being a Writer Is... Reply with quote

There are days when creativity hits you extra hard and you feel there aren't enough pages to fill or not enough articles to write. And then there are days when you feel that a single stroke of your pen will create a whole bunch of silly ideas that you wouldn't even care to read, much less craft into a comprehensible whole. Creating is both pain and glory....I guess it's much like giving birth for you strong women ou there, too. I hate writer's block! Very Happy
Hopeless_Romantic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to meet you Mark and welcome to the site! Smile

I'm sorry you are struggling with this block right now, but after reading your bio and seeing all of your interests and experiences, I doubt it will last long - I imagine the creative juices will be flowing again before you know it!

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/MarkLaVerdiere
EDavis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Hi Mark Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I went through this writing my book. Here are a few points below on how I beat it. I hope it helps.

1. Ran my ideas by a friend. She gave me funny and smart suggestions.

2. Joined a local writing group. It was a group where we all meet in a small Catholic Church weekly on Saturday's. There was a host and we just wrote freely on assignments the host gave, and we all meet together and share our work and talked together.

It really got my creative juices flowing to listen to other writers hear some of their work read out loud. It was awesome and it broke me through writers block to complete my novel.

Also, at the end of this workshop group which lasted about 2-3 months. We all gave a presentation of our work to family and friends. Where we invited them to another location where we could present our work that we created during the workshop. It was nice to have people applaud you and cheer you on. The support was fantastic.

If I can find the organization I joined I will come back here and post it for you. These groups are everywhere and they have different meet up places. In fact you may be able to start your own group on meetup.com. It certainly keeps you inspired when you speak with others in the craft once every few weeks or weekly.

3. Forced myself to sit for an hour a day and just think of things with the storyline. Not necessarily where I was going with it because where I had already been with it.

I experienced writer's block for a bit of time. Maybe 3 months. I can't quite remember how long. But number two on the list I think went a very long way towards breaking me out of it, and I met some great people too, along the way. I wish you much success! I hope you post again if when you break through. I can't wait to read your post that you have broken out of writer's block and perhaps you can let me know how you did it, since I plan to work on my second novel soon.

What theme of books do you write?

Take care!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: