AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American English--two different areas/angles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eliza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: American English--two different areas/angles Reply with quote

The first is an article I found interesting: "Americans Are Barmy Over Britishisms"
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/fashion/americans-are-barmy-over-britishisms.html?pagewanted=1&ref=general&src=me

The second is from a Brooks analysis of the VP debate as a generation war in approach but I'm also focusing here on what he says about regionalism since there was a dialect/accent discussion a while back. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/opinion/brooks-the-generation-war.html?hp&_r=0

That was a time, much more so than now, when there were still regional manners, regional accents and greater distance from the homogenizing influence of mass culture. That was a culture in which emotion was put out there on display....

This was a battle of generations. The age difference was the undercurrent of every exchange. The older man had the virility, but, in a way, that will seem antique to many.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in the Midwest as I do, were I to hear a Britishism, I'd be certain that person speaking was being sarcastic.

Re the Brooks piece: Although I think some of the commenters read the piece a bit wrong, I was startled by the number of them that were pro Biden. Some of the comments, in fact, were more insightful than Brooks was.

Somewhere on the net was a piece about the number of searches that were made for "malarkey," a word my Irish mother was very fond of throwing at each of her children when expressing doubt about what they were saying. I guess that demonstrates into which generation I fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: