AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nora Roberts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roseconnelly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Nora Roberts Reply with quote

I just finished reading the Nora Roberts book "Chasing Fire," which was released this year. I didn't hate the book - it was a fairly decent read - but I found it kind of repetitive and I didn't really feel there was much depth to the characters, nor did I really connect with them. Don't get me wrong, Nora Roberts is a good writer and probably always will be. It's my opinion, though, that she has been churning out too many books over recent years. I feel like the overall quality has really gone down since some of her earlier works - The Gallagher's Trilogy and Chesapeake Bay Saga immediately spring to mind. Those were good books. Does anyone else share my opinion?

Happy Reading,

Rose Connelly
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Nora Roberts Reply with quote

roseconnelly wrote:
It's my opinion, though, that she has been churning out too many books over recent years. I feel like the overall quality has really gone down...

Just the other day I was calculating how many words a day she must be laying down. Dare I ask this out loud: has she really written all of her recent titles, or has "Nora Roberts" been franchised?

Best,
Lilly
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's been prolific before. I noticed if I read a lot of books by the same author it starts to feel somewhat repetitive. To give her the credit she deserves, Nora is usually pretty good at creating a variety of settings, plots, professions. That said, the last mystery/thriller book I truly enjoyed (as in can't put it down way) was High Noon. And that was 5 years ago!
Lynn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't enjoy Chasing Fire, but I did like The Witness very much. I listen to all of Nora's as opposed to reading them which might make a difference.

Lynn
dick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not read many of her single titles for the reasons you enumerate; she gets wordy and overdoes in those books. But when she writes as Robb for the In Death series, those faults disappear.
roseconnelly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Nora Roberts The Witness Reply with quote

Lynn wrote:
I didn't enjoy Chasing Fire, but I did like The Witness very much. I listen to all of Nora's as opposed to reading them which might make a difference.

Lynn

I do agree with you Lynn; 'The Witness' was a much better book.' I suppose she's a bit hit and miss. Might give audio a try.

Rose
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kind of taken a break from reading Roberts. She was an autobuy for me for years and some of her earlier books are on my DIK shelf. I got a little bored with her plots/characters and haven't read her in a couple of years. I keep track of her and know that I'll probably get back on the train at some point.

Sometimes taking a breather from a long-read and loved author can give you a fresh perspective. I have tremendous respect for her and what she has done for the genre and believe she is a highly disciplined writer to produce all that she does.
Bonnie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've had a tough time with Roberts for the past couple of years. Aside from the Robb books.

When I first discovered Nora back in 2006, I couldn't get enough. Loved absolutely everything she had to offer. Now, not so much. I don't know if I'll ever get it back. I did like her novel this year, but didn't care for her recent trilogy. I didn't buy the second one and won't buy the third. I think it's about an inn? I don't remember. It just has no depth. Her older works were so much better, IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: