AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty Shades of Grey movie and Fun Chat! Thread #2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xina, Wallbanger is another author entirely but it's getting a lot of attention. I'm halfway through and it's a fun book!

kmredd, if you look for Sweet Dreams (Kristen Ashley) and don't see it, give it a few days. She posted on Facebook that some of her books had to be taken down as they move into the hands of a new publisher but that it shouldn't be for long.

Oh and on topic note, E.L. James is part of Barbara Walter's Most Fascinating People of 2012 special! Airs tomorrow night.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Xina, Wallbanger is another author entirely but it's getting a lot of attention. I'm halfway through and it's a fun book!

Oh and on topic note, E.L. James is part of Barbara Walter's Most Fascinating People of 2012 special! Airs tomorrow night.

Linda

Just looked it up...so, the title is what I think it is?? LOL! I'm in the mood for something funny. I hadn't heard of this book until now, I must not be paying attention. Smile
Thanks for the heads up on the Walter's interview with James. I'll be watching for sure.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[Just looked it up...so, the title is what I think it is?? LOL! I'm in the mood for something funny. I hadn't heard of this book until now, I must not be paying attention. Smile
Thanks for the heads up on the Walter's interview with James. I'll be watching for sure.

Xina, yep, it's what you think it is. lmao!

Linda
kmredd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.extratv.com/2012/12/10/sneak-peek-barbra-walters-talks-fifty-shades-with-author-e-l-james/

This is funny!! Thanks for all the info you guys. I love Ashley's heros. "Wallbanger" is hysterical!!
xina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmredd wrote:
http://www.extratv.com/2012/12/10/sneak-peek-barbra-walters-talks-fifty-shades-with-author-e-l-james/

This is funny!! Thanks for all the info you guys. I love Ashley's heros. "Wallbanger" is hysterical!!

Oh Barbara! LOL... Looking forward to this interview tonight.
Also, loving Wallbanger too. Fun book!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So watched Barbara Walters, glad to see E.L. James as part of it but nothign really new out of the interview. Well except for Barbara saying she has read all 3 books and is hoping for a 4th!

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
So watched Barbara Walters, glad to see E.L. James as part of it but nothign really new out of the interview. Well except for Barbara saying she has read all 3 books and is hoping for a 4th!

Linda

Haha..wasn't that funny? And Barbara calling the books "sweet". I happen to agree that the love story was, but for the most part...not so much. Nice interview. The author certainly has made a name for herself. In a year her life must be completely changed.
Wish they would have discussed movie news more.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USA Today has named E.L. James author of the year!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2012/12/19/50-shades-grey-james-author-of-the-year/1766541/

Short interview -

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2012/12/19/james-interview-fifty-shades/1767497/

Linda
mirole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va: I am so glad to hear it.

Also, I am checking out NY Times Bestsellers Lists every week and today I was thrilled to see that FSoG surged to #5 from # 10 last week (no doubt husbands and boyfriends rushed to buy Christmas gifts to their loved ones). Reflected in You and Barhed to You were nowhere near to the trilogy.

Because I loved FS so much and was disgusted by Bared to You, I am delighted at how huge a cultural phenomenon FS books have become. You have copycats everywhere: 50 Shades of Chicken cookbooks, the whole new cover art and so many spoofs.

I work at a very large law firm. We received a holiday card from a smaller law firm that was such a clever and hilarious play on 50 SoG, everybody was laughing their heads off.

I totally admit that had there been some ingenious copycat book with a brilliant writing and a storyline just a bit 50S, I might have fallen for it. But Bared to You and Reflected to You were so much just mere copycats, even in cover art. So I am happy that they sank in rankings to 26 and 21 respectively.

On an unrelated note, I am delighted to see Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl at the top of the charts![/quote]
xina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
USA Today has named E.L. James author of the year!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2012/12/19/50-shades-grey-james-author-of-the-year/1766541/

Short interview -

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2012/12/19/james-interview-fifty-shades/1767497/

Linda

She's had a great year, hasn't she? There is no denying that. Love it. Smile
xina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:

Also, I am checking out NY Times Bestsellers Lists every week and today I was thrilled to see that FSoG surged to #5 from # 10 last week (no doubt husbands and boyfriends rushed to buy Christmas gifts to their loved ones). Reflected in You and Barhed to You were nowhere near to the trilogy.

Because I loved FS so much and was disgusted by Bared to You, I am delighted at how huge a cultural phenomenon FS books have become. You have copycats everywhere: 50 Shades of Chicken cookbooks, the whole new cover art and so many spoofs.

I work at a very large law firm. We received a holiday card from a smaller law firm that was such a clever and hilarious play on 50 SoG, everybody was laughing their heads off.

I totally admit that had there been some ingenious copycat book with a brilliant writing and a storyline just a bit 50S, I might have fallen for it. But Bared to You and Reflected to You were so much just mere copycats, even in cover art. So I am happy that they sank in rankings to 26 and 21 respectively.

On an unrelated note, I am delighted to see Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl at the top of the charts!
[/quote]

The copycats will be long forgotten...and they won't have major motion pictures based on them either...LOL! Bared To You was a blantant copycat. I didn't read the next book, and don't have plans to ever pick it up.
Loved that Fifty jumped from 10 to 5. Pretty sure the Day books won't moving up the ladder. And agree with you...love that Flynn's book is still at the top. Wonderful author.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:

Also, I am checking out NY Times Bestsellers Lists every week and today I was thrilled to see that FSoG surged to #5 from # 10 last week (no doubt husbands and boyfriends rushed to buy Christmas gifts to their loved ones). Reflected in You and Bared to You were nowhere near to the trilogy.

On an unrelated note, I am delighted to see Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl at the top of the charts!

Mirole, I wish I could have seen that card!

I saw the Fifty Shades board game in Barnes and Noble yesterday, along with the Red Room of Pain attachment. Very Happy It says it's played with you and 8 of your friends, I just can't imagine how awkward that would be, at least until a couple bottles of wine were consumed, lol

Bared to You was so bad, I don't have a problem with copy cats if they can capture what we loved about the original and expand on it, but Sylvia Day did not succeed here. I think I can safely say that was one of those most generic/cardboard books I've ever tried to read. (could not finish) You can swap Bared to You with many a Harlequin Presents novel and you wouldn't notice a difference. I think the only reason it sold what it did is that people were desperate for another book like Fifty and it had the luck of being shelved right next to it. Then there was the group that wanted to like anything but Fifty so it became their 'anti fifty'. Point blank, without Fifty Shades Bared to You would have passed by barely noticed. I haven't tried to read Reflected in You but I've read comments from a lot of folks that were disappointed in it. Said it was just more of the same arguments back and forth between the H&H.

The only 'Fifty' like book I've read this year that was done well was If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

The only 'Fifty' like book I've read this year that was done well was If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones.

Linda

I loved this book. Can't wait until the next one, which..BTW..when is that due? I also think that Kristen Ashley benefited from the Fifty craze. Fifty brought back the alpha hero big time. Those overbearing Ashely heroes are pretty popular now.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[
I loved this book. Can't wait until the next one, which..BTW..when is that due? I also think that Kristen Ashley benefited from the Fifty craze. Fifty brought back the alpha hero big time. Those overbearing Ashely heroes are pretty popular now.

And I hope she writes more of them! lol The best thing to come of this is that it's ok for authors to write the alpha male again. Very Happy

Speaking of If I Were You, Being Me (the sequel) isn't out until June. boo! But she's doing a seriel set of novellas that are supposed to be Rebecca's journals. Here is what she had to say on Facebook about them -

Answering a question about what Rebecca's Journals will be like that someone posted .. They are in journal form but you get real scenes as she replays them in her mind. They go in order and tell a story from the moment Rebecca first goes to the gallery. You live her decision to go into the BDSM world and how the men in her life impact her life. The serials are SUPER sexy. They have a ton of clues to the series mystery and lead into BEING ME. It will be fun to see what clues you guys pick up on. I put some sneaky ones in there.

Something to tide us over, I'll definitely check them out! The first one is titled The Seduction and is due out at the end of Jan.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Speaking of If I Were You, Being Me (the sequel) isn't out until June. boo! But she's doing a seriel set of novellas that are supposed to be Rebecca's journals. Here is what she had to say on Facebook about them -

Answering a question about what Rebecca's Journals will be like that someone posted .. They are in journal form but you get real scenes as she replays them in her mind. They go in order and tell a story from the moment Rebecca first goes to the gallery. You live her decision to go into the BDSM world and how the men in her life impact her life. The serials are SUPER sexy. They have a ton of clues to the series mystery and lead into BEING ME. It will be fun to see what clues you guys pick up on. I put some sneaky ones in there.

Something to tide us over, I'll definitely check them out! The first one is titled The Seduction and is due out at the end of Jan.

Linda

Wow..June, that's a long time. I'll be checking out Rebecca's Journals. She was a fascinating character and the mystery revolving around her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: