AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for an old book (80s?) SOLVED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HEAreader

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: looking for an old book (80s?) SOLVED Reply with quote

Don't know why I happened to think of this one - I read it years ago. This is what I remember, or think I do.
H's name was Angelique.
Married h, something happened to him (captured, imprisoned?). She thought he was dead.
Married an aristocrat - cold, blond, somehow forced to marry her. Think he might have been a relative - like a distant cousin. Only had sex once, but she conceived a child. (Had a child by h also.) 2nd husband dies.
First husband reappears and they are reunited after some conflict.

I'm not positive on all of this.

Definitely an old-fashioned romance. Long book, cheesy cover, plot devices that wouldn't go over well today. Anyone remember this?

Last edited by HEAreader on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Cora

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like the Angelique series by Anne Golon, a series of epic French historical romances published from the 1950s into the 1980s at least. They're well worth reading, particularly the first few installments, and a cut above the usual historical romance. I was a big fan of the series as a teen and have the first six books in vintage book club editions snurched from my aunt.

Here is an English language fansite, which should give you more information.
HEAreader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! As soon as I saw the names of the characters I knew these were the right books.

Before I posted, I searched on B&N with the name Angelique and none of these books came up - surprising since there are so many of them. I definitely read several of these but not all. She certainly had many adventures Smile.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEAreader wrote:
Thanks! As soon as I saw the names of the characters I knew these were the right books.

Before I posted, I searched on B&N with the name Angelique and none of these books came up - surprising since there are so many of them. I definitely read several of these but not all. She certainly had many adventures Smile.

I don't think the Angelique books are still in print. Which would explain why they aren't showing up at B&N. You can find them used at Amazon. Enjoy! Years since I read them. I seem to recall someone describing her as the most ravished heroine in history.

Elizabeth
Cora

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth Rolls wrote:
HEAreader wrote:

I don't think the Angelique books are still in print. Which would explain why they aren't showing up at B&N. You can find them used at Amazon. Enjoy! Years since I read them. I seem to recall someone describing her as the most ravished heroine in history.

Elizabeth

The Angelique books should be easy to find used, since they were big bestsellers in their day.

And yes, poor Angelique does get tortured, kidnapped and ravished a lot. However, unless I have completely stricken it from my memory, her first husband/one true love Geoffrey refrains from any ravishing, unlike the heroes of US romances from the "bodiceripper" era.
Outlandish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These series of books sound so promising! I went ahead and ordered the first 5 on AMAZON. They're a bit costly for being USED books (particularly the earliest ones) and there are so many different versions that it does get a bit confusing.

I've been on a reading rut and so I'm hoping they live up to all the positive reviews that I've read.
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're obviously an Outlander fan, so I guess you'll enjoy them because the epic historical scope is quite similar.
Outlandish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
You're obviously an Outlander fan, so I guess you'll enjoy them because the epic historical scope is quite similar.

My fandom is obvious, isn't it? =]

That's great to know, I've always liked reading epic series; one following the same couple throughout their lifespan. I'm excited to get these books in the mail. There go my promise of "focusing on school" --- I'm a sucker for romance!
Pan's Wife

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People might want to know these books are not Romances in the HEA/couple loyalty sense. They are Historical Epics like Forever Amber and Gone With the Wind. The plots involve the very tough heroine trying to survive everything thrown at her. Many of the men in Angelique's saga are cringe worthy and Geoffrey (her true love) is not even in all the books except as a memory.
mark_laverdiere

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Do you think this could be a great gift for my wife? Thank you for the info! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: