AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tortured romances?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Tortured romances? Reply with quote

I have a real fondness for angsty romances where the hero and heroine are in love but separated by war or circumstance. Did anyone else watch the fabulous BBC series Parade's End that just finished? Others that come to mind include the miniseries Birdsong or the movie Atonement. I'm looking for books along these lines, though preferably with a happy ending! Historicals please. Thanks for any recommendations!
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A book that immediately comes to my mind is Autumn Rain (1993) by Anita Mills. It's out of print, so you'd have to purchase it used via Amazon's used book sellers or some other second hand borrowing or purchase web site. But, it truly is an angsty, tortured story re keeping young lovers apart.

I might also recommend The Wild Child (1999) by Mary Jo Putney, but my memory is leaving me as I read this a long time ago. I do remember it being sad in parts.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapestry by Karen Ranney.
JaneO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran. Also At Your Pleasure, also by Duran.
Natalie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Jo Putney had a few. My favorites are Silk and Shadows and Shattered Rainbows.

I second Meredith Duran.
Danielle B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love, love, love angsty romances. Two of my favourites are Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson and Twice Loved by Lavyrle Spencer. They are both out of print I believe but are really excellent if you can find them however, the angst is love triangle driven. HotW is a western where the heroine gets married to get away from her family then falls in love with her husbands brother. Twice Loved takes place in Nantucket and the pregnant heroines husband is lost at sea only to come home 5 years later to find her married to his best friend.
xtacy20

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: