AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Funny review of Outlander on goodreads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Funny review of Outlander on goodreads Reply with quote

Damn if it's not the funniest review of The Outlander seen!
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/15619079

Makes me glad I didn't finish that novel.
Pan's Wife

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, it's been a long time since I read the book, but that is not how I remember it. I liked it and didn't have a problem with the adultery part which I know bothers some people. I didn't read the sequels so I can't comment on them. However, I recommended the book to others all of whom liked it or became fans of the series, and it does seem to have a very strong following in the Romance community with all types of fan pages and Youtube videos. I guess it's simply a case of one person's pleasure is another person's pain.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pan's Wife wrote:
Hmmm, it's been a long time since I read the book, but that is not how I remember it. I liked it and didn't have a problem with the adultery part which I know bothers some people. I didn't read the sequels so I can't comment on them. However, I recommended the book to others all of whom liked it or became fans of the series, and it does seem to have a very strong following in the Romance community with all types of fan pages and Youtube videos. I guess it's simply a case of one person's pleasure is another person's pain.

Agree with you. Outlander was my very first romanc novel and is one of my favorite books. I just recommended this book to a new romance reader and she loved it and breezed through all the sequels as well. Not everyone's cup of tea, but a much-loved book to many.

Last edited by xina on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
BRN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 'review' books pretty ignorant to me.
D Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Outlander Review Reply with quote

I think the review is pretty funny, too. I've read maybe three books in the series and enjoyed them all. But the synopsis is pretty much right on (as far as my memory goes). I think it's funny that the reviewer then says she or he is going to go get the second book.

Denise
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't mean to offend any fans of the book! I like Twilight, for example, but I've still enjoyed a few funny parodies of it (granted, in case of the last books, parodies were almost better than the original text).
Yulie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look, and wasn't impressed (or amused). Animejune's review is both funnier and more accurate, IMO.
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find it funny but I wasn't at all offended. And Outlander is my favorite too, so no worries from me, Natalie. Humor is a different strokes kinda thing too IMO, but people who didn't like the book are probably more likely to find it funny, I guess. Still, no harm, no foul.
jaime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty funny and conveys the basic plot of "Outlander" in a nutshell. Time travel mumbo-jumbo aside the heroine is an adulterer - and I have never blamed her for it.

It reminds me a bit in tone and structure of this piece I read on one of the Lymond lists years ago, called "Lymond Chronicles In A Minute" which managed to condense the plot of all the Lymond books into short and funny bits. I always wished I knew who had written that one because it was quite an amazing feat considering the source material.
Nana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Gossamer Obsessions review cited above, at http://gossamerobsessions.blogspot.jp/2010/10/outlander-by-diana-gabaldon.html

"Now put down your pitchforks for a minute. I'll readily admit that Jamie, as a character, is a very nice young man, but I just wasn't crazy for him and I'll tell you why. You all like chocolate, don't you? I love chocolate. But imagine if someone forcibly shoved chocolate down your throat all day, nonstop, all the while screaming "CHOCOLATE! HOOORAAAAAAY FOR CHOCOLATE!" five millimetres from your ear while playing the bagpipes - would that chocolate still taste as good?"

This is EXACTLY how I feel about Nora Roberts's Roarke. Minus the bagpipes.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Funny review of Outlander on goodreads Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
Damn if it's not the funniest review of The Outlander seen!
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/15619079

Makes me glad I didn't finish that novel.

Funny! I found this funnier than the Gossamer Obsessions review although I thought the points Gossamer Obsessions made about the book really being about Jamie with Claire just being a foil was excellent.

The responses have been interesting. I was reading something the other day about how being a zealot actually is a way for people to cover doubts about what they love/believe. They can't hear criticism because it stirs up their own concerns that the beloved/believed isn't all it should be. As a Twilight and Harry Potter fan I've learned to take the critique in stride. Not every book works for every person.

And yes I have read Outlander. I didn't fall in love with Jamie and maybe that is why I didn't fall in love with the book??

maggie b.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
From the Gossamer Obsessions review cited above, at http://gossamerobsessions.blogspot.jp/2010/10/outlander-by-diana-gabaldon.html

"Now put down your pitchforks for a minute. I'll readily admit that Jamie, as a character, is a very nice young man, but I just wasn't crazy for him and I'll tell you why. You all like chocolate, don't you? I love chocolate. But imagine if someone forcibly shoved chocolate down your throat all day, nonstop, all the while screaming "CHOCOLATE! HOOORAAAAAAY FOR CHOCOLATE!" five millimetres from your ear while playing the bagpipes - would that chocolate still taste as good?"

I laughed harder at the Gossamer Obsessions review than Holly's. And I get Nana's Roarke reference, too, but I have to say that if Roarke rescued a litter of kittens from a burning orphanage, he'd have skinned them and sold their pelts for profit while teaching the blind children card counting - until he met Eve. (Choirs of Angels: *ecstatic singing*)

And I say that as an inveterate In Death fan. Smile
xina

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana wrote:

Yes, me too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: