AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving Everything Most Loved - J. Winspear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Leaving Everything Most Loved - J. Winspear Reply with quote

I agree w/the review of this lastest entry in the Maisie Dobbs series. Won't go down as a favorite as far as the mystery component goes. In some ways I felt that the inner struggle Maise faced in deciding her future seemed a bit immature, but considering her background and the times, maybe it really wasn't that far off the mark. My grade: B

This seemed like a series-ender to me. Or at least an end to the series as we know it. Many loose ends in Maisie's life and those around her are tied up and change is on the horizon for everyone. People are concerned about what is happening in Germany and the possibility of another war while many are still reeling from the last conflict. Although LEML ended with an, "I'll be back" feeling, I wonder if the series will continue. If it does, I think we'll see a "new" Maisie. I hope this isn't the end. I would hate to say good-bye to Maisie and her friends. It would be interesting to see what role she and the others would play during the new war.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought in one of the books Maise was looking at working for the government in Intelligence. That story line seemed to be dropped.
Does anyone else remember how that ended?

This felt like a series ender for me too. As if the author was done with everyone in England. And James and Maise don't look like they will be a couple (sob!). I did feel Maise's attitude was both immature and a bit odd. She doesn't like living lavishly with James but she wants to drop her job and take off on an extended trip to India? A bit of a hypocritical attitude toward mone there.

I have loved the series but this one read like the author was tired of dealing with it.

maggie b.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
I thought in one of the books Maise was looking at working for the government in Intelligence. That story line seemed to be dropped.
Does anyone else remember how that ended? maggie b.

I do remember some espionage work being alluded to at one point and her even meeting someone from that branch. I got the impression that Maurice had "recommended" her to the people he was working with in that area. I almost felt that Maurice was telling Maisie that it was part of his legacy to her.

I read the last 4-5 books one right after the other so don't remember which one dealt with this. I am wondering if Winspear does continue with the series that perhaps we'll see Maisie working for the intelligence service as the 2nd WW commences.

Although I have really enjoyed the series, I think I am satisfied if this is the end. It would be interesting to see what else Ms. Winspear could produce.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: