AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing for Keeps by R.L. Mathewson- a funny find
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Playing for Keeps by R.L. Mathewson- a funny find Reply with quote

I haven't heard this book mentioned on the board, so I thought I'd post. I am only 34% through Playing for Keeps and I have laughed more than any other book I've read all year. The heroine, Haley is a shy woman who comes out of her shell when she finally gets to know her "neighbor from hell". The hero, Jason, is a riot. A self proclaimed a-hole, he sees his neighbor as a buddy who needs help coming out of her shell, a project if you will (even calls her Grasshopper, tee hee). Jason's internal dialogue is so funny. He is so clueless, immature, and I should really hate him. But that is the magic, Matthewson has made him so endearing!

Here is the best part. It's $ .99!!!! I am not even finished and its been well worth the price.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should post this. I was just mentioning this author on Twitter yesterday. I read the follow up book, Perfection first and followed it up with this one. I really enjoyed it too. Jason is such a blockhead - in an adorable way isn't he? I thought like you, that this was a great bargain. A thoroughly enjoyable book at a squeal of a deal.

After I finished these two books, I bought two more books by this author.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Perfection TBR on my kindle. Did you like it? I'd love to know if you enjoyed her other books.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did really enjoy it. Trevor, the hero wasn't quite as much as a bonehead as Jason and Zoe wasn't quite as innocent as Haley. I loved that Trevor was a real blue collar kind of guy, my favourite kind of hero and one there isn't enough of. Both books were funny and cute and yep, Trevor is just as food obsessed.

I'll report in when I read the other ones. I think from the blurb they are A paranormal (Without Regret) and another contemporary (A Humble Heart)
erika

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed PfK too. I haven't lol reading romance in a long while.
This is one of the authors that I discovered after reading Fifty Shades.
I'm profoundly happy I broke my no ebook ever rule cause I never woud have laughed myself to tears reading Playing for keeps.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
I'm profoundly happy I broke my no ebook ever rule cause I never woud have laughed myself to tears reading Playing for keeps.

I've discovered so many new to me authors since I jumped head first into the world of ereading. Because I absolutely refuse to pay the same or in some cases more for an ebook, it's caused me to read lesser known authors. R.L. Mathewson is a perfect example of authors I never would have noticed before. And having just finished Castaway Dreams by Darlene Marshall (and loving it) this is another author I wouldn't have tried before I started ereading.
Leigh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation. I am always on the look out for funny books.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
erika wrote:

I've discovered so many new to me authors since I jumped head first into the world of ereading. Because I absolutely refuse to pay the same or in some cases more for an ebook, it's caused me to read lesser known authors. R.L. Mathewson is a perfect example of authors I never would have noticed before. And having just finished Castaway Dreams by Darlene Marshall (and loving it) this is another author I wouldn't have tried before I started ereading.

I agree. I bought an ereader to cut down on costs, yet now many ebooks are being sold for the same price as paper. Ridiculous!!!! I follow a couple of other sites and keep my eye out for deals. Most of my 30 TBR books on my kindle cost $3.99 or less.
Lorilei James(my personal guilty pleasure), Ruthie Knox, Beth Kerry, are some finds. And although I had heard her name before, I would have never read Sarah Mayberry , had she not self published and cheaply sold My Best Worst Mistake (Love, love, loved it!!)
Hmmm maybe we should start a thread of ebook hidden treasures that are cheap? Different from the e-bargain thread, it should be books you have read and enjoyed and include a review and price.
Sally in Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: R L Matthewson Reply with quote

For those who can use Amazon.co.uk, RL Matthewson's Tall, Dark and Lonely is free. Pathway is Amazon.co.uk, Kindle Books, Bestsellars, Romance, No.49. I've just downloaded it as a result of the discussion here. I had just ignored it previously.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: R L Matthewson Reply with quote

Sally in Scotland wrote:
For those who can use Amazon.co.uk, RL Matthewson's Tall, Dark and Lonely is free. Pathway is Amazon.co.uk, Kindle Books, Bestsellars, Romance, No.49. I've just downloaded it as a result of the discussion here. I had just ignored it previously.

Free is even BETTER than $1.00 heh, heh, heh.
erika

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
erika wrote:

Some ebook prices are so low its worth giving these authors a try.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished PfK yesterday and continued to be very entertained by it. I really liked Jason and Hayley as a couple. I thought the end dragged a little, but ultimately a very satisfying read for $.99.
I moved on to Perfection, which I am also enjoying, although it is not quite as funny as PfK. I like seeing Jason and Hayley in the story:)
Diana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have been able to get over the egregiously raw, unedited text if I found the funny bits, well, funny. Humor is very subjective and I just failed to find the hilarity.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
I might have been able to get over the egregiously raw, unedited text if I found the funny bits, well, funny. Humor is very subjective and I just failed to find the hilarity.

Diana, agree, it was a DNF for me, happy for those that enjoyed it though!

Linda
Kayne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Diana wrote:

Diana, agree, it was a DNF for me, happy for those that enjoyed it though!

Linda

Me too. It was taking forever for them to get together and I lost interest.

Last edited by Kayne on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: