AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This Message Has Been Withdrawn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will Lutwick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: This Message Has Been Withdrawn Reply with quote

Starting over on this board...

Last edited by Will Lutwick on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
maryskl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for future reference...asking me if I am woman enough to read something is a tad condescending and is more likely to make me avoid this book. Sorry.
Nicole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why just ladies? You know that men read romances also. Should they just not bother? I'm not trying to be rude, but I found your pitch to be off putting.
Will Lutwick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Your reactions Reply with quote

My book pitch was a little over the top because that's how book pitches are. It was meant to be lighthearted. It certainly wasn't directed to anyone personally. I just wanted to see if a seriocomic memoir with a true forbidden love story would be of interest to romance novel readers so I tried to be a little provocative. Big mistake, apparently. I thought because it is a true story that might add to the impact as compared to novels. Sorry to upset you.
Nicole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not upset. Also the book link you posted isn't working. I am more than willing to check out your book, and was planning on reading the sample. I just thought your pitch needed some work.
Will Lutwick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nicole. Here is the fixed link.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KWN034
Bad enough that I alienated you, but to mess up the link, that was really stupid.

Sorry for both my errors.

Will
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ladies - Can You Handle a True Story Forbidden Love Roma Reply with quote

Will Lutwick wrote:
[color=indigo]My memoir, "Dodging Machetes: How I Survived Forbidden Love, Bad Behavior, and the Peace Corps in Fiji"

I will go with the positives first, Like the Title, and like that you are looking for readers, nothing says committement like getting out there and selling your book. Good job

Helpful Hint: I agree with other posters:

So ladies, are you woman enough to savor the true story of star-crossed lovers under siege? Can you handle raw, erotic scenes that actually happened?

Not such a good line. I am thinking anyone that is on a site about Romance is absolutely women enough for reading raw, erotic scenes and REALLY is always looking for just that type of well written stuff. Real or fake I am not sure it really matters. Unless I know you of-course then it would matter and I really wouldn't want to read any REAL erotic scenes because it would cause me to have images and that just would creep me out when I was talking with you.

Good luck
jaime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hawking your book in such a tasteless way in a place meant for discussion amongst readers instead of sales pitches has ensured that I will never buy and read your book.
Salaisuus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously you did not read a single post on this forum before posting. The stickies at the top of each area indicate what is and is not appropriate in that section. Had you read those, you'd have posted in the right place, at the very least. Never mind the off-putting language that has driven me far, far away from anything you've written or will write in the future.

Before jumping into a forum, it is best to read and get a sense of the people who post there - including the men who read romance and post frequently.

On a side note, I wonder how many people like this will end up here as a result of a search for something like "romance discussion fifty shades." Thanks to the media, the general public probably thinks people reading the Fifty books would respond favorably to this kind of pitch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Writer's News Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: