AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suspense/Mystery Books Discussion...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Margaret

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:

I will say French absolutely nailed the cycles of an Internet discussion board (belabored it a bit, but got it amusingly correct) and I did love Scorcher's affinity for Pat, how affronted he was that trying to do the right thing ended so badly for him.

She did not paint a very flattering picture of message board behavior...she even mentioned trolls.

As for Pat someone really should have knocked some sense into him, but Jenny was so concerned about maintaining the illusion of their status that they isolated themselves.
Margaret

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen - was a near perfect read for me. This is the 1st in the series, the 2nd book is The Absent One and is due out this week...I can't wait.

It's about detective Carl Morck who has survived a recent shooting, and has pent up emotions and guilt for what happened to two of his team members during the same attack. Returning to work he is put in charge of a new department--Department Q, which is now to investigate cold cases.

There is an interesting cast of charcters, including Carl's new "assistant" Assad, who has a murky background.

My grade is a strong 'A'.

I seems that The Keeper of Lost Causes is being made into a movie.
D Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Gaudy Night Reply with quote

[quote="jaime"]What a great thread!

Well, I just checked out Gaudy Night from the library - will I be able to enjoy this knowing nothing about these characters prior to this book?

How are you getting on with this? I started with Strong Poison, which is the book in which Lord Peter and Harriet meet, so I was prepared for Gaudy Night when I read it (it might be difficult to understand Harriet's hesitation in marrying Lord Peter, but basically, he's rather famous for detection, and she's rather famous as a mystery novelist AND as a maybe murderess, so the press has a field day every time they are seen together, making courtship absolutely horrible, especially for Harriet who compromised her principles for the former lover she is thought to have murdered). At this point in the book, Lord Peter has been courting Harriet on and off for five years. So in this book, they are at the point where Harriet has to decide yeah or nay (nay, Lord Peter goes away forever).

And oh yeah, there's a mystery involving a Poison Pen letter writer, and Harriet is called in to try to solve it.

Denise
PatW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEK wrote:

In romantic suspense many have mentioned Prey by Sandra Brown and I thought it was great. The HEA was particularly well done and a change from the usual.

This is a great thread- I welcome not having to pick out receommendation from other threads!!

I'm late joining is as I've been on vacation... in reading the past posts, I have a question regarding the quoted receommendation. Is this meant to be Prey by Linda Howard or Lethal by Sandra Brown? I can'tfind a Prey by Sandra Brown...
csmiley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone has mentioned Beverly Cleverly's Joe Sandilands mysteries. The first one The Last Kashmiri Rose takes place during the British Raj era. There are several more during that time period and later he goes back to England. He is a Scotland Yard detective. All the books are amazing and I just got the last one on my Kindle today Not My Blood. She also writes a mystery series about Laetitia Talbot, an aspiring archaeologist that takes place in the late 1920"s.
MEK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatW wrote:
MEK wrote:

In romantic suspense many have mentioned Prey by Sandra Brown and I thought it was great. The HEA was particularly well done and a change from the usual.

This is a great thread- I welcome not having to pick out receommendation from other threads!!

I'm late joining is as I've been on vacation... in reading the past posts, I have a question regarding the quoted receommendation. Is this meant to be Prey by Linda Howard or Lethal by Sandra Brown? I can'tfind a Prey by Sandra Brown...

Good catch, PatW! Its supposed to be Lethal by Sandra Brown. Sorry! Smile
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csmiley wrote:
I don't think anyone has mentioned Beverly Cleverly's Joe Sandilands mysteries. The first one The Last Kashmiri Rose takes place during the British Raj era. There are several more during that time period and later he goes back to England. He is a Scotland Yard detective. All the books are amazing and I just got the last one on my Kindle today Not My Blood. She also writes a mystery series about Laetitia Talbot, an aspiring archaeologist that takes place in the late 1920"s.

I second the Cleverly recommendation. The Last Kashmiri Rose is a powerful story; one of Joe's personal encounters in that book leads to the action in Not My Blood.

Kay
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
csmiley wrote:

I second the Cleverly recommendation. The Last Kashmiri Rose is a powerful story; one of Joe's personal encounters in that book leads to the action in Not My Blood.

Kay

The mention of the Joe Sandilands series made me think of another: Charles Todd's Ian Rutledge books. I liked both. The south Asian settings in the early Cleverley books were wonderful (I especially liked The Damascene Blade, set in Afghanistan). And Ian is a wonderful, clever, but heartbreakingly damaged hero. I realized, however, that I do like romance with my mystery, and when neither series came up with a heroine for its hero, I stopped. Perhaps I'll start up again someday.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll toss out three more with fun locales -

Malla Nunn's Emanuel Cooper mysteries, set in 1950s South Africa during apartheid. Like Ian Rutledge, Cooper also has the voice of his old sergeant-major in his head. The social aspects of the race relations at the time are fascinating and well-portrayed. Starts with A Beautiful Place to Die.

Michael Stanley's Detective Kubu (that's hippo in Setswanan) Bengu books, set in present day Botswana. Grittier and with more forensics than Alexander McCall's books. Starts with A Carrion Death.

The Darko Dawson series by Kwei Quartey. This one's set in Ghana, and the every day clash of ancient village superstitions with modern technology is what makes this series stand out for me. The first book is Wife of the Gods.

Kubu and Darko are both happily married, so not a great deal of romance, but fun if you want to try a new setting.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
I'll toss out three more with fun locales -

The Darko Dawson series by Kwei Quartey. This one's set in Ghana, and the every day clash of ancient village superstitions with modern technology is what makes this series stand out for me. The first book is Wife of the Gods.

Kubu and Darko are both happily married, so not a great deal of romance, but fun if you want to try a new setting.

We read Wife of the Gods in our mystery book group and it's one of the few books since I joined that pretty much everyone adored. This is a really good book. I haven't read the next in the series, and heard that the author is having troubles getting a contract for additional books, which is a shame if true.
Manda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finished the last of the Archie Sheridan/Gretchen Lowell books last night. Tee, I think they work just fine with Gretchen taking a (somewhat) back seat in them. As usual I found the characterization in this one fascinating and I had mixed feelings about the whole [spoiler] Susan/Leo/Archie triangle. I am really torn about it because I genuinely like Leo, but I want Archie to end up with Susan. Despite the age difference, and Archie's inability to let Gretchen go (and his new affair with the neighbor, whom I do NOT trust) I think they would be good together. But I don't want Leo to get hurt. Which will definitely happen if Susan/Archie happens. So I'm torn. [/spoiler] I am so bummed that I've finished all of the Will Trent and Archie Sheridan books now. Sad It's going to be a long wait until the next ones come out.

I downloaded Jennifer Hillier's CREEP last night, but what I really want is something like Will Trent or Archie Sheridan. I'm addicted, I'm afraid.
csmiley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great thread! I am about to reread Kate Ross's Julian Kestrel books. Unfortunately there are only four as she sadly passes away! I wish they were available on Kindle as the print is small Smile. Also did anyone mention Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak and Liam Campbell series? Keep those recs coming!
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little surprised that no one has mentioned either the Lady's No. 1 Detective Agency or Isabel Dalhousie books by Alexander McCall Smith, although it's true that in neither series is the mystery the reason to read. I read them for McCall Smith's portrayal of the characters; he has a realistic yet compassionate sense of human frailty and manages to be sweet without being saccharine (which is harder than it seems). There is such insight and warmth, and I love the Botswana setting for the No. 1 Detective Agency books. It's such a different picture than one usually gets of Africa in more hard edge thrillers, and it's a nice corrective. As one who is somewhat traditionally built myself, I also like that aspect of the book.

And I will always love him for what happens to Isabel several books into the series. At a time when I needed optimism (my son was with a medical unit it Iraq), McCall Smith provided that for me through her. I read Elizabeth George's With No One as Witness at the same time, and it almost sent me into a tailspin -- it was very much the opposite of what I needed just then. I've not read another of her books since.

From all my posts can you tell that mysteries are my second favorite genre?
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manda wrote:
Well, I finished the last of the Archie Sheridan/Gretchen Lowell books last night. Tee, I think they work just fine with Gretchen taking a (somewhat) back seat in them. ..... I downloaded Jennifer Hillier's CREEP last night, but what I really want is something like Will Trent or Archie Sheridan. I'm addicted, I'm afraid.

Yes, another addicted soul. I love it. But it will be somewhat of a long wait for the next ones. As far as your spoiler is concerned, I don't have the same feelings about Susan that you apparently do; so, for me, I hope she stays with the one she's with now.

And, what a coincidence--Creep is waiting for me at the library to be picked up. Very Happy
Minerva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished CRIMINAL which is my favorite Karin Slaughter. I agree! I want more Will Trent types.

I just don't think Chelsea Cain is for me. I've read some reviews/spoilers and I think I'll pass.

I just picked up GONE GIRL from the library tonight. So my weekend is set!

This is a great thread. I'm reminded of all the authors I love - you guys are totally on my wavelength. I'm picking up all sorts of new recs too!

I've been a huge fan of Edwardian, WWI mysteries. But after Downton Abbey, I went on a huge glom. I've been a fan of Charles Todd's post WWI mysteries for quite a while. I enjoy the Ian Rutledge mysteries more than the Bess Crawford ones. I've also enjoyed Elizabeth Speller's post WWI mysteries THE RETURN OF CAPTAIN JOHN EMMETT and THE STRANGE FATE OF KITTY EASTON.

Right now, I'm definitely into contemporaries, so I love to hear everyone's updates.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16

Jump to: