AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suspense/Mystery Books Discussion...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vol Fan wrote:
Tee, thanks for your input regarding Heartbroken by Unger. I've not ordered it yet, though I love her newer books. I've been torn over spending the money on this one due to the mixed reviews. I think I will wait awhile, maybe get it at the library later on.

And I don't have anything against women's fiction books, BTW, Vol Fan, because I read many of them. However, this one wasn't going that well at all.
Alicia Dean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Last to Die and Unger Reply with quote

I haven't read Last to Die, but I would hate to be disappointed in a Tess Gerritsen book, and it sounds like I might be.

You guys have me sold on Unger. MUST check her out. It sounds like I should start with Fragile?

Thanks for all the great recommendations. (As if my TBR pile isn't high enough <g>)
AliciaDean.com
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Alicia, a couple of us didn't like it, but some did. Maybe you can get a hold of a library edition to make sure we're not leading you down a wrong road. It may appeal to you. Quite frankly, I wouldn't suggest paying full price for the hardback without trying to check it out somewhere else first, if that's possible. Good luck.
Alicia Dean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Well, Alicia, a couple of us didn't like it, but some did. Maybe you can get a hold of a library edition to make sure we're not leading you down a wrong road. It may appeal to you. Quite frankly, I wouldn't suggest paying full price for the hardback without trying to check it out somewhere else first, if that's possible. Good luck.

Okay, thanks. I'll be cautious. Smile It's not available in paperback or ebook? Actually, I could check that out myself quit easily, LOL. I often buy from the used book store, so I'll not invest a lot until I have a good idea if I'll like it.
AliciaDean.com
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Last to Die and Unger Reply with quote

Alicia Dean wrote:
You guys have me sold on Unger. MUST check her out. It sounds like I should start with Fragile?

Unger is not a graphic author, so those who don't enjoy that kind of book, but still enjoy a mystery, might like her. I began with Fragile because that's the book that Maggie specifically said she read and liked, then I went to the sequel, Darkness, My Old Friend. Loved them both and also discovered a new author whom I think is worthwhile to follow, so far. Good luck.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Beautiful Lies well enough, but really disliked Die For You so I've been staying away from Unger. Downloading Fragile right now on your word, Tee (no pressure). Wink
(You're too kind to remind me but I do remember that I'm ahead on recommending clunkers.)
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
...but I do remember that I'm ahead on recommending clunkers.

Aha--but clunkers are all in the eye of the beholder (or something like that; you get my drift). Smile Fragile was good; Darkness... was even better. I have Black Out here to read yet. We'll see.
Alicia Dean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Last to Die and Unger Reply with quote

[quote="Tee} Unger is not a graphic author, so those who don't enjoy that kind of book, but still enjoy a mystery, might like her.[/quote]

I honestly like all kinds...graphic, non graphic, thriller, mystery, gothic, romantic suspense, no romance, etc. Smile Thanks!
AliciaDean.com
Manda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
I struggled with Hoag's horse books - Dark Horse and Alibi Man. I'm glad she seems to have left that world behind.

Ashes to Ashes and Dust to Dust are both violent but I found them riveting.

Here's a list of her suspense novel starting from most recently published:

DOWN THE DARKEST ROAD (2011)
SECRETS OF THE GRAVE (2010)
DEEPER THAN THE DEAD (2009)
THE ALIBI MAN
PRIOR BAD ACTS
KILL THE MESSENGER
DARK HORSE
DUST TO DUST
ASHES TO ASHES
A THIN DARK LINE
GUILTY AS SIN
NIGHT SINS
CRY WOLF
DARK PARADISE
STILL WATERS
LUCKY’S LADY

All but the two horse books worked for me.

maggie b.

Thanks, Maggie and Tee! I'll keep these in mind. At least I know I won't run out of things to read any time soon:)

I decided to read something from the TBR pile, so I'm working on Bronwyn Parry's DEAD HEAT. She's wonderful. This is her third book I think. They're all romantic suspense set in the Australian bush, or in small, remote towns. I had to get the first two from Book Depository since they aren't available in the US. But this third one is available for Kindle, though the price was pretty steep. (Around 15 bucks, I think.) Still it's good enough to warrant the expense. Especially with the fresh setting.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Janice Kay Johnson's Making Her Way Home. This is a Harlequin Super Romance but I found it pretty suspenseful. A girl who is kidnapped and it is all about solving the case. The romance is very low key - no sex even but it wouldn't have been appropriate given the circumstances. I'm always in shock when the mom is like my kid is missing - think I'll take some time out to get it on with the hot detective working the case!

I found it a quick, intriguing read. Really liked the look at the kidnapping and how it was handled.

maggie b.
dick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked that book, too, MaggieB. The author managed to create suspense from what could almost be called the commonplace.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
I liked that book, too, MaggieB. The author managed to create suspense from what could almost be called the commonplace.

Yes, I liked that aspect too. You have the big horror of the missing child but what makes the book work is that the characters are very real, the lives lived very average. I also appreciated how there was no one witness with all the info, nor any witness with perfect recall. That always drives me crazy in a mystery, when people are asked "Do you remember what you were doing on Jan. 10 three years ago?" And they are all, "Why, yes, I remember seeing a totat stranger in purple shorts walking towards the bank." Sheesh, I couldn't identify half the people I saw this morning!

maggie b.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally finished The Ghost Hero by S.J. Rozen this morning (latest Lydia and Bill story). I really didn't like it, and never would have finished it if not reading for book group. I probably should have read it in print, but had more listening time. The narrator was awful.

But on a bright note, I downloaded Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Sara Elia MacNeal this morning in audio before my morning walk. So far, I'm loving it! Has anyone else read this?
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinnieGayl wrote:
I finally finished The Ghost Hero by S.J. Rozen this morning (latest Lydia and Bill story). I really didn't like it, and never would have finished it if not reading for book group. I probably should have read it in print, but had more listening time. The narrator was awful.

But on a bright note, I downloaded Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Sara Elia MacNeal this morning in audio before my morning walk. So far, I'm loving it! Has anyone else read this?

Agree on Ghost Hero, it was convoluted and silly and Emily Woo Zeller's narration was terrible. If Bill wasn't pretending to be a Russian mobster Rolling Eyes you couldn't tell who was speaking to whom.

I had an ARC of Mr. Churchill's Secretary - let's compare notes when you're done.
dick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ties that Bind," by Natalie R. Collins. Part police procedural, part mystery, part a personal journey of discovery about one's family, but all of it kind of scary, primarily because it's set in a suburb of Salt Lake City and infused with the author's take on Mormon culture. The elements of that take are the scary part. If that take is at all accurate, I don't think anyone would be comfortable with Romney as president.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: