AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Julie Garwood - Sweet Talk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roseisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Julie Garwood - Sweet Talk Reply with quote

Well I bit the bullet and thought I'd give JG one more try.

In my opinion, JG has lost developing depth to her characters; the books read more like scripts for a television action shows.

JG has set Sweet Talk up for three more books about a quartet of girls who survived chemotherapy as children - you can expect the follow up books to probably come out either every six months or once a year.

Do not get me wrong, Sweet Talk is an engaging story, it's a light read and if you are interested in reading "light" romance suspense, Sweet Talk is perfect for you.

Grade B for light romantic suspense, Grade C for character development.

Your thoughts?
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect mini review, roseisa. Could not have said it better myself. Smile Actually, it started out rather well, but then it hit a point where I was losing the focus in the story. I finished it, but with more of a fast run during the final chapters. As you said, not enough depth to the characters, but I did like Kincaid.
roseisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tee, I really appreciate the compliment! Very Happy

I haven't read Sizzle, but based on your liking Kincaid, think I'll give it a try - there's always time for a cool hero!

Cool Sunny California - hot and hotter still...............
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roseisa wrote:
I haven't read Sizzle, but based on your liking Kincaid, think I'll give it a try - there's always time for a cool hero!

Actually, I was talking about Grayson Kincaid, the hero of Sweet Talk. I rather liked him. I did read Sizzle, too, but just can't totally recall the gist of the story. Oh, well. I think there was a Kincaid in that one, too. I probably mentioned my reactions to the book on one of the Recently Read threads and would have to search back for my thoughts about it. Getting older has a few negatives I'm beginning to learn. Very Happy
roseisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I see this Kincaid. Well he made an impression on me as a cardboard alpha male.

I only bought the book because the Ponzi scheme interested me.

No point in checking out Sizzle, if you can't recall the plot.

THanks for the correction.

Cool Sunny California 104 raising
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roseisa wrote:
No point in checking out Sizzle, if you can't recall the plot.

Crazy thing is, I think I liked it. Shocked
roseisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, I will check it out Very Happy

Cool Sunny California, we are melting.......
oklanannie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was disappointed in SWEET TALK. The Ponzi scheme drew my attention to the story but it wasn't even a well-developed plot. As I keep telling myself, it wasn't a terrible book - but it coulda/shoulda/woulda been better with more character and plot development and less unnecessary sideline filler. This one was just less than fulfilling. I'm not sure I even want to read a sequel -- if indeed this is the path Garwood is leading us on.
roseisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oklanannie said:
Quote:
I'm not sure I even want to read a sequel -- if indeed this is the path Garwood is leading us on

I am pretty sure there will be sequels to this series. Four girls with cancer in treatment was the beginning of the book......

JG has Olivia's friend Collins going to FBI academy, Ronin and she had sparks flying......oh yes, a sequel is definitely in the works, that I definitely will not be buying........

Cool Sunny California - not, smoke is in the air!
Pan's Wife

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep clicking on Garwood threads hoping one of her new books will sound worthwhile, but it looks like I will once again be skipping a new release. I wonder if she is still writing these books or if some ghost writer bought the rights to her name? I haven't liked anything since Ransom.
Sputnik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be a sucker... I keep buying them, in hardcover no less! She is an auto buy for me - my first author who became an auto buy and I just can't stop. I didn't like the book that much, but I got it... in hardcover. *sigh*
dick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the plot was shaky, the characters rather flat, the relationship not too well developed, but IMO, Garwood has something, a sine qua non that's hard to pin down. Even her medievals, which nearly everybody read with pleasure, lacked a bit. The heroine in Sweet Talk, in fact, reminded me a great deal of the heroines in those medievals. And she still has that tone of what I once called innocent awe about romance that captures the fairy tale aspects of romance better than many another. That said, the epilogue puzzled the hell out of me.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
The heroine in Sweet Talk, in fact, reminded me a great deal of the heroines in those medievals.

I didn't say that in my post, but that was my very thought as I was reading through the book. There IS something about her characters; deep they're not, but altogether not a bad story either.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I am most interested in knowing about Sweet Talk, (still on waiting list with library). IS IT FUNNY? I think her characters interactions can be just so witty. I think that is what hooked me, I need to read stuff that was funny dialogue that moved along with a believeable plot and likeable characters and she always gave me that. Julia Quinn is another that does that for me.
roseisa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee
Quote:
There IS something about her characters; deep they're not, but altogether not a bad story either.

That's the reason we always give JG a try, her writing is engaging & we're hoping the new release will be like her medieval novels.

I do not recall laughing during Sweet Talk. I'm sticking with my original assessment: In my opinion, JG has lost developing depth to her characters; the books read more like scripts for a television action shows.

Cool Sunny California - cooling down, great weekend weather on the horizon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: