AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Milan's KISS FOR MIDWINTER out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Milan's KISS FOR MIDWINTER out Reply with quote

That's it. It's just that Courtney Milan's sequel to THE DUCHESS WAR is out today. It's $.99. I downloaded it and will let you know what I think later. Now excuse me. I'm off to read!
Rosie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I had no idea she was releasing a novella.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished this last night, and although it's not one of Milan's best, it's still worth the time and money, especially as it's less than a dollar. You can download (as I'm sure you know) an excerpt which is an accurate excerpt, reflecting the problem with the heroine, in my opinion. A KISS FOR MID-WINTER has the same wonderful strengths of other Milan books: interesting, unique characters who are in very difficult situations as they try to do the right thing, even if it means that they suffer. Shortly into the novella, the hero, Jonas, is following an established doctor on his rounds, having promised to be quiet. He is horrified and uncertain what to do when they go to the house of a fifteen-year-old (Lydia, our heroine) who is pregnant out of wedlock and he hears his doctor "mentor" prescribe a poison that may kill her or the baby. This novella has some problems: I never really warmed up to Lydia who vigorously resists Jonas's courtship, putting the worst interpretation upon his often-too-blunt (for her) courtship. Milan examines the effects on a woman of having been seduced by an untrustworthy man and puts Jonas in an impossible situation with his declining, hoarding father, so the book has the depth and meat of Milan's usual books. But it lacks a warmth of characterization and I never much cared whether the two got together or not. However, mediocre Milan is still worth reading, in my book. <G>
MMcA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I never really warmed up to Lydia who vigorously resists Jonas's courtship, putting the worst interpretation upon his often-too-blunt (for her) courtship

I liked Lydia; though I can't tell if I was predisposed to like her by the previous book. And I thought she fell for Jonas fairly quickly once she realised he was courting her.

The thing I did notice, and I don't know that I would have noticed it had PegS not mentioned it in the discussion of 'The Duchess War', was how frank their conversations about sex were. And I understand that his frankness made him the right hero for her but it did all seem a bit modern. That is, if a Victorian doctor was going to be frank, would he express himself in quite that way? And it stood out, a little, because the rest of the time he came across as such a believable Victorian doctor.
But I didn't really mind, because I liked the story very much, and I could believe in the scenario, that the man he was would have been very plainspoken in those circumstances.

And, as you say, I thought his quandry with his father was very moving and revealing, and unusual to have such a strong subplot in a story that length.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: