AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Siren by Tiffany Reisz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
jaime wrote:

All the problems I had with The Siren came from me being upset about what these characters were doing to each other and had nothing to do with Tiffany Reisz' writing which is beautiful, compelling and very funny at times.

Spoilers for the next two books -

I see from the synopsis that Wesley is back. Oh dear. That poor boy is not getting out of this series without at the very least having his heart broken.

I think Wesley got his heart broken at the end of The Siren, but like happens to must of us, a heartbreak isn't always a bad thing. I am thinking he isn't getting out of the series with is virginity.

I agree that Tiffany's writing is terrific and she doesn't have to throw the kitchen sink (what I call what E.L James did with FSoG) in the story to get the pages. Tiffany can WRITE deep complex characters that really make you think.

I today I finished a suspense serial killer HEA romance and it made me think about how reading the gore of the serial killer and what he was doing to his prey while he held them captive should be much more upsetting then reading what constenting adults do. Funny how society picks what reads are more acceptable than others. Funnier that the one most of us find more upsetting is the one that should be much less upsetting than a monster torturing helpless women.

Just thinking.....

The Siren has actually less sexual content than FSoG and its ilk. I agree that Nora and Soren as consenting adults should be able to do what they want in their sexual relationship. However, the boy Soren used to teach Nora one of his little life lessons was no consenting adult. He may have thought he was consenting but IMO a boy that age doesn't have the emotional maturity to consent to any sex with an adult.

I am curious - what's the "serial killer HEA romance you just read?
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edge of Midnight by Leslie Tentler. I have never read her/him before and it was a fast read. I think it is the third in a series maybe so I have to look for the others. I get my eBooks mostly from the library so it is always a wait and see when my turn to check out comes along.

Back to The Siren, yes I agree about Michael and him being underage (in some states he wouldn't of been) I have the same issue with FSoG and Elena/Christian. Certainly some teens have sex, but i am on the fence about when is it abuse. I am sure that Soren knew Michael's age so he is clearly not innocent, but I have to give some to the fact that men/boys do look at sex differently. But Nora, she didn't know he was underage, so I put that in the same catagory as a guy (say 19 or 20) at a college party not knowing a girl is underage.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Thought this was interesting, Author's own words Reply with quote

I was reading on Goodreads and saw this post and thought it was helpful to add to understanding the D/s relationship.

Hi Ladies!

I'm so glad Soren is as fascinating to you all as he is to me. I have one cardinal rule when writing my Sinners stories - I never EVER write from Soren's POV. His head is as dangerous as his bed. If I get in one or the other, I might never get out again.

I will say this about him. He's based on my old Dom who was also a hardcore sadist. My ex-Dom did slap me in the face...as my request. It was just something I wanted to try. He did it once and after our scene he said he nearly laughed out loud at the look on my face after he'd done it. I reminded him that it wasn't very "Dommy" of him to giggle at me.

I'm telling this story so you all will understand that the sub sets the rules. At one point Nora would have told Soren she either liked or would allow face-slapping. He does nothing to her that wouldn't be pre-negotiated. What else happened between them during that final intense scene happened behind closed doors. But I plan to open that door up in book three so you can see that Soren isn't the abuser some readers have accused him of being.

I understand face-slapping (especially a hard slap like that one was) can really bother some readers. But as I've said before on Twitter, when reading or writing erotica, it doesn't matter what the reader likes or dislikes. It only matter what the character likes or dislikes. Nora doesn't mind face-slapping. When you read ANGEL you'll learn she's really damn good at giving as well as she gets.

Never forget that Nora is a Dominatrix with her own sadistic side. Just how tough she is will come out in later books.

I'll disappear now before I give too much away. I will end with this quote from CS Lewis's The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe:

“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good..."

Hugs!
Tiff
WandaSue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this book. About half done, but I am loving every word, every plot angle, and even the characters are likeable.

IMO this is a far better written novel than FSOG. No comparison, not in any way, except the BDSM issue.

(Surprisingly, I found it at Walmart. They're even carrying all 3 FSOG books, though wrapped in plastic. Is this the same Walmart that wouldn't sell Cosmopolitan magazine unless it was "hidden" behind a cardboard shield to mask the provocative article titles?)
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completely surprised that it is sold at Walmart, but yaaaa. Good for them. I also think Tiffany is a fantasic writer and is about a million more of a story teller than FSoG and Bare to You. Siren has it's difficult parts but nothing more than when I read a suspense novel with a serial murder or something like that. IT is all part of the story and she tells it like very few authors can.

Check out her website and go to the freebie stuff to read A LOT of terrific back stories. Then if you have a few extra bucks or a good library she has a couple of stories that also go along with these characters.
jaime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile They are selling it at my local B&N, which, knowing that local branch is pretty amazing. That is the good thing Fifty Shades Of Crap has done - making it possible for quality erotic writing to get some mainstream exposure.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
Smile They are selling it at my local B&N, which, knowing that local branch is pretty amazing. That is the good thing Fifty Shades Of Crap has done - making it possible for quality erotic writing to get some mainstream exposure.

I so agree. I think the long after FSoG is forgotten what will be left is some the combination of fantasticly well writen stories that have real sex scenes that are intregal to the story/plot/characters. I believe FSoG has made it alright for women to say they like to read about hot sex, women asking for what they enjoy and not being whores for that. This to me is real feminism, not burning your bra and not wanting a man to open doors.
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
jaime wrote:

I so agree. I think the long after FSoG is forgotten what will be left is some the combination of fantasticly well writen stories that have real sex scenes that are intregal to the story/plot/characters. I believe FSoG has made it alright for women to say they like to read about hot sex, women asking for what they enjoy and not being whores for that. This to me is real feminism, not burning your bra and not wanting a man to open doors.

Well, I rather have Nora as a feminist role model than that navel-gazing idiot in FSoG - if what'shername is a role model for womenhood we are in deep, deep trouble.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:

Well, I rather have Nora as a feminist role model than that navel-gazing idiot in FSoG - if what'shername is a role model for womenhood we are in deep, deep trouble.

I can't speak for Judy, but I think she was referring to the book and not the character.
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
jaime wrote:

I can't speak for Judy, but I think she was referring to the book and not the character.

So? I understand the comment perfectly well.

Speaking for myself I was thinking about the reply to my previous comment and was referring to the main female characters in FSoG and The Siren and stating an opinion about their respective worth from a feminist standpoint.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right...

Yea I was writing to the hope that the long term benefit of the book is it being more exceptable for women to be open about their sexual side. Shoot is almost more ok to experiment with drinking and drugs then a young women to say what she is interested in while in bed.

So now to the new discussion: Ana vs Nora...They are so not in a competion because neither one would enage (IMO) being true to character. Smile Nora is hands down a more developed stronger character, but she has been around the block for almost 20 years. I would expect/like that she knows herself and is true to herself always. I don't think there was one example of her doing or being anything other than who she wanted to be in The Siren or any of the other stories by Tiffany Reisz. Ana on the other hand is very new (i hate the word innocent) and well as I say in the FSoG thread, EL James hopefully will grow as a writer and do a better job and not feel the need to throw in the kitchen sink when writing. James just can't do drama, suspense or a long story archer (again IMO) which takes something away from the story, but I still finished saying "better than most"

I feel Tiffany Reisz just has a God given talent and she will be a great writer. But Thanks to James' Fifty Shades society will get to read Reisz's creations.
sayoko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Tiffany Reisz has a remarkable talent. She has become my new favorite author, along with Cara McKenna and Megan Hart.
It was about time we had an engrossing, well-written series dealing with taboo themes. Not that the "focus" of the book is the exploration of taboos: the story is truly heartfelt (at times heartwrenching), the characters are three-dimensional and very fascinating.
The next two books sound even more intriguing than the first. I loved Søren from the start and I can't wait to know more about him Twisted Evil

Judyblueeyes wrote:
Check out her website and go to the freebie stuff to read A LOT of terrific back stories.

Oh yes, I especially loved "Daniel", it's even better than the prequel, "Seven Day Loan".
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sayoko wrote:
I agree, Tiffany Reisz has a remarkable talent. She has become my new favorite author, along with Cara McKenna and Megan Hart.
It was about time we had an engrossing, well-written series dealing with taboo themes. Not that the "focus" of the book is the exploration of taboos: the story is truly heartfelt (at times heartwrenching), the characters are three-dimensional and very fascinating.
The next two books sound even more intriguing than the first. I loved Søren from the start and I can't wait to know more about him Twisted Evil

Judyblueeyes wrote:
Check out her website and go to the freebie stuff to read A LOT of terrific back stories.

Oh yes, I especially loved "Daniel", it's even better than the prequel, "Seven Day Loan".

I am totally with you. Tiffany has written a whole world that I just can't get enough of. I do think some are turned off by their lifestyle, but I get that in so much as I don't enjoy reading certain books or tv shows/movies with serial killers or some other sick story lines.

I always enjoyed Law and Order (the orginal) but Law and Order SVU just made me very uneasy to the point that I think I only ever saw maybe a handful. I just didn't want that stuff in my head. BDSM in my head apparently isn't a problem and actually is enjoyable.
Wink
sayoko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
I do think some are turned off by their lifestyle, but I get that in so much as I don't enjoy reading certain books or tv shows/movies with serial killers or some other sick story lines.
I always enjoyed Law and Order (the orginal) but Law and Order SVU just made me very uneasy to the point that I think I only ever saw maybe a handful. I just didn't want that stuff in my head. BDSM in my head apparently isn't a problem and actually is enjoyable.
Wink

I feel the same way about this! Nowadays I rarely watch TV. I'm just too turned off by bloodied bodies, butchered corpses and the occasional televised surgery.
It tells something about us as a society, that death and violent crime are perfectly fine and entertaining, while consensual and realistic BDSM is seen as totally unacceptable and scary Rolling Eyes
By the way, I think that some of the readers who were shocked by Søren's behavior will like him better in "The Angel"... Sometimes things are not what they seem Cool
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make it a rule not to wish away days in my hurry to get to some date on the calender, but I am just doing time waiting for Tuesday to arrive so I can start reading The Angel. I just want to know everything about all of them, they are such interesting characters (because Tiffany is such a talented writer!)

And on a similar note: when I think of this time next week I know I am going to feel sad that I have finished The Angel and will have to wait until Nov. for my next hit. Deep down I know I will find other characters to pass the days with, but I know my heart is going to be heavy after being so happy for such a short time.
Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: