AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty shades new discussion (6th FSOG thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
Just reading a little of Fifty Darker and they at her and Kate's apartment after dinner and he threatens to put her over his knee for her sarcasm about where the ice cream is and she asks about the silver balls and he makes his own sarcastic comment about need to care a spare pair because he doesn't have much need for them at work. She says something about his sarcasm and he then says

"Well, Anastasia, my new motto is, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"

I think I miss how funny that is the first time I read the story. or i was moving through the story so I didn't take the moment to enjoy how funny and real that makes her characters.[/b]

ha! I loved those moments! And Christian honey she had you beat from day one you just didn't know it. Very Happy

Kerstin wrote:
I'm nearly finished with part two and totally enjoyed the humor in it. My favorite humor part was Ana's inner musings about a crappy day in her office (when she comes in late and Jack gets mad with her). Her dry observations about that day really made me giggle like mad which seldom happens when I read a book. Usually that happens only when I watch movies.

At first I thought FSOG is better than FSD but I enjoyed part two as much for other reasons. The humor, the banter and also that we see a couple in love for a longer period of time. Usually when we get to see that part in a romance when they are all lovey-dovey the book is almost at an end or you are actually in another couple's story and you only get a glimpse of the happy couple (like in a series). I totally enjoyed seeing Christian and Ana being in love. I thought I could resist part three because I really hate early pregnancy plot stories but well I am an addict now. I need my stuff. Wink

Oh my, I have become a fan girl and I never was one before. I totally resisted Harry Potter, Twilight and the Hunger Games and what else there was everyone consumed and raved about. Now I am on the bandwagon.

Kerstin

Kerstin, I also loved the humor in these books, it balanced out what were some very heavy and emotional aspects. It's nice when an author doesn't have to rush the HEA by the end of book 1 and is able to take their time and allow us as an audience to enjoy those stretches of time with them together and happy. I think this is why most romance 'power couples' (for lack of a better word) come from books that are part of a series.

I can't believe you were going to resist book 3! Now I am really anxious for you to read it and hear your thoughts, good or bad. If you're on Facebook and want to enjoy some fun Fifty stuff the best of them out there (IMHO) is this page, I think it was also kmredd that brought this to our attention. They're funny, have sexy pics, discuss casting, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/FiftyShadesUk

Linda

Last edited by Linda in sw va on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerstin, these are both replies that have to do with the baby aspect so feel free to avoid if you want to wait until after you've read it.

Judyblueeyes wrote:
[. Ana having a baby (because I don't think he thinks of it as his child at the start) meant that he wouldn't be #1 with her, that the baby would be first and he would come in second, and I think he needed time to be the most important person to her, so he could feel safe. He is always trying to make Ana safe because I think he never trusts that he is safe. (which with his security team I wouldn't be either, love Taylor, but really)

Hmmm, good point. Actually the more I think it through the more convinced I become that the baby thing came too soon, especially for Christian. He's just had to open himself up for the first time in a way that makes him more vulnerable then he's ever allowed and now here comes along another little person that he will have to keep safe and with their very existence increases his vulnerability.

xina wrote:

He didn't want the child to interfere with his close and safe relationship with Ana. Frankly, I was shocked at his reaction, because we never see that in a romance novel. He threw a fit and left, and stayed away. I love his POV at the end. I had read the Australian version the first time around and his POV was not included. What a treat to read what a loving father he turned out to be.

Xina, the author really didn't shy away from showing us all of Christian, good and bad, I agree that it made it more realistic. I also liked that Ana was willing to stand up for her baby, yes I will put this baby first (forget the exact wording) and pretty much tells him to get over it. So you didn't have the little bit from his POV in the versions you read? Were they print or digital? It was good to see that he was a loving father in the end and also true to character because he was still being over protective, lol

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Linda in sw va"]Kerstin, these are both replies that have to do with the baby aspect so feel free to avoid if you want to wait until after you've read it.

Judyblueeyes wrote:

Xina, the author really didn't shy away from showing us all of Christian, good and bad, I agree that it made it more realistic. I also liked that Ana was willing to stand up for her baby, yes I will put this baby first (forget the exact wording) and pretty much tells him to get over it. So you didn't have the little bit from his POV in the versions you read? Were they print or digital? It was good to see that he was a loving father in the end and also true to character because he was still being over protective, lol

Linda

No, the POV isn't in the first digital release of the series. And I think there is better editing in the US version, although I didn't notice many changes. I downloaded the first book way back in Dec. or Nov. and just let it sit in my ebooks. I then read it when it was mentioned here. I downloaded the US version and was surprised at the POV at the end of Freed. Nice little bonus.
erika

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
erika wrote:
I had a conversation today with my brother about FSOG. It shocked me that he heard about it and what was funny he didn't get the title right, he called it heat of grey! Apparently one of his friends works in a bookstore and mentioned all the older women buying the book. Then he asked if our mom should read it Embarassed I said hell no she should read Judy Bloom or the Hunger Games!!!

That is just hilarious!! Actually the heat of grey is kind fitting, lol I can't imagine my mom reading this book or at least I can't imagine trying to have a conversation with her about it, haha

I have a friend that I've just gotten hooked on Fifty! *evil laugh* Twisted Evil She told me she's been avoiding it becuase she heard it had bad writing, I told her to pfffft all of that and just try it because TRUST ME you will love it! So I get an excited email after she's read the first telling me she's hooked, another email in the middle of the 2nd telling me she's never been so turned on and she's 65 years old. Laughing Now she's racing through the 3rd and she can't get enough, she wants to read the Christian Grey blog next. Mhhuuaaaah!!

Linda

Ahh you're courageous. Now she'll be craving for books like FS to read when she's finished. Thankfully I had Lothaire by Kresley Cole to help me deal with my craving for more Christian like heroes.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
[Ahh you're courageous. Now she'll be craving for books like FS to read when she's finished. Thankfully I had Lothaire by Kresley Cole to help me deal with my craving for more Christian like heroes.

Ha! That's the first thing most people ask when they finish, where can I find another book/hero like Christian?

Speaking of, I was in B&N today and they had a display with Fifty and some other books. Bared to you of course, the Ann Rice Sleeping Beauty books, Beautiful Disaster, a book called Switch in which I looked up reviews and people said ther heroine was the dom so I put that back, haha. Finally that left me with a book called The Principle's Office, I used the Amazon app to read some reviews and they sounded good and interesting so I downloaded it to my Nook.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Principals-Office-ebook/dp/B0064W5QGQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344811332&sr=8-2&keywords=The+Principal%27s+Office

I hope it's not a disappointment!

For me Kresley Cole usually has heroines that are too kick-ass but I will keep it in mind for my friend, she may be interested to try it.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wondering about that book LInda. I have read Jasmine Haynes before..."Somebody's Lover". Really enjoyed it.
erika

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
erika wrote:
[Ahh you're courageous. Now she'll be craving for books like FS to read when she's finished. Thankfully I had Lothaire by Kresley Cole to help me deal with my craving for more Christian like heroes.

Ha! That's the first thing most people ask when they finish, where can I find another book/hero like Christian?

Speaking of, I was in B&N today and they had a display with Fifty and some other books. Bared to you of course, the Ann Rice Sleeping Beauty books, Beautiful Disaster, a book called Switch in which I looked up reviews and people said ther heroine was the dom so I put that back, haha. Finally that left me with a book called The Principle's Office, I used the Amazon app to read some reviews and they sounded good and interesting so I downloaded it to my Nook.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Principals-Office-ebook/dp/B0064W5QGQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344811332&sr=8-2&keywords=The+Principal%27s+Office

I hope it's not a disappointment!

For me Kresley Cole usually has heroines that are too kick-ass but I will keep it in mind for my friend, she may be interested to try it.

Linda

Oh nooo! Sleeping Beauty has nothing to do with erotic romance. Readers would be left aghast reading it after FS because it is straight erotica Sad

I have read good things on another message board about Principles Office! Have you tried Sempre Forever by J M Darhower? There's no kink, its angsty which I craved after FS and it has an older YA hero and heroine.
Btw, it was like FS fanfiction.

Yeah I haven't been reading KC because I'm not into kickass heroines however the heroine in Lothaire is average with a core of steele.
erika

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry duplicate

Last edited by erika on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
[Oh nooo! Sleeping Beauty has nothing to do with erotic romance. Readers would be left aghast reading it after FS because it is straight erotica Sad

I agree, one is a very long way from the other. Shocked

Quote:
I have read good things on another message board about Principles Office! Have you tried Sempre Forever by J M Darhower? There's no kink, its angsty which I craved after FS and it has an older YA hero and heroine.
Btw, it was like FS fanfiction.

No I haven't, I'll look at that up, thank you! Yay on hearing good things about Principal's Office. Smile Recently I purchased Hostile Takeover by Joey Hill and didn't care for it, it stinks to waste money, the samples are not often enough to tell.

Quote:
Yeah I haven't been reading KC because I'm not into kickass heroines however the heroine in Lothaire is average with a core of steele.

Oh that soudns ok, does it have to be read in order?

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I have been wondering about that book LInda. I have read Jasmine Haynes before..."Somebody's Lover". Really enjoyed it.

Good to know! I'm sure if I enjoy it I'll want to move on to others by this author.

Does anyone know if the fan fiction The University of Edward Mason was changed much when it became Gabriel's Inferno? Because I tried the fan fiction and really did not care for it much and yet I hear people raving about Gabriel's Inferno so I wonder..

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though this article was pretty good, when I saw they were interviewing a manager from public relations over at Harlequin my interest was piqued because they've weighed in on this before and I felt they were rather clueless. But maybe they do get it, that it's not just one aspect of the story but all of it combined.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1691545/fifty-shades-of-grey-erotica.jhtml

"The emotional component has been what has been addictive about it for a lot of readers," Hwang added. "I also think you can't divorce the whole kink factor. I think for some readers, that's absolutely the hook and what drew many readers in. It had a little bit of everything: It had the kink with the Cinderella-story factor, along with a package that allowed them to read this without feeling like they're reading something they shouldn't be. So I think the packaging was very smart and very eye-opening for the rest of us who have been publishing erotic romance but not with this kind of romance, so it really was an eye-opener as to how receptive readers could be without the more typical, signifying package."

And as you read down she also compares Fifty and Bared to You to a Harlequin Presents, well I think Bared to You fits definitely here but not so much in agreement about FSoG. If I were finding books like FSoG in the Harlequin Presents line I wouldn't have stopped reading it years ago. But this could be a positive sign that we might be getting more novels in the romance genre that have a little more care taken to give us something fun and different, not so much of the same tried and true. Maybe then Harlequin would be able to bring in new readers as it's been hoping for. I think Fifty Shades of Grey has woken up the romance industry, perhaps in a long lasting type of way.

Linda
Kerstin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

I can't believe you were going to resist book 3! Now I am really anxious for you to read it and hear your thoughts, good or bad. If you're on Facebook and want to enjoy some fun Fifty stuff the best of them out there (IMHO) is this page, I think it was also kmredd that brought this to our attention. They're funny, have sexy pics, discuss casting, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/FiftyShadesUk

Linda

Hmmmm, you tempt me to join face-book. I resisted that so far but now...is it very complicated to open up a face book account?

As for the third part, I have taken a small break with "Dream Lake". I downloaded the third part already though. It is just that part two ended on such a happy note (ignoring the evil villain lurking in the shadows) that I am not prepared for all the baby angst. Besides I feel already really sorry for Christian. I thought he really, really deserved to be number one for somebody for a much longer period of time than just a couple of months, especially since he and Ana actually still would have had all the time in the world to become parents . That early pregnancy would be hard for any first timer in regard to love and even more so for someone as damaged as Christian. I'm peeved on his behalf, LOL. Also they can forget about their hot sex life for quite a while, and I can't really see Christian taking up with that. They're still in that lusty hormone driven phase of a young adult relationship and a baby so not fits into that sort of life!!! Babies often put a strain on an even well established, mature, adult relationship.

A Coaching teacher of mine has recently become a father (willingly so!) and even though he practices meditation and yoga he admits that his new born son with his three months colics put a severe strain on his well established equilibrium. My sister-in-law was so sleep-deprived when my niece was a toddler that she said that she understood mothers who put a pillow on their babies just to make them stop crying. And those two people - my sister in law and my Coaching teacher are well-balanced people with relatively normal childhoods (in contrast to Christian). To put in a nutshell: I do not terribly anticipate part three but I will certainly read it.

Kerstin
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I posted asking this question but maybe it didn't take.

At the start of Book 2 Ana asks Fifty what his favorite song on the Ipad he gave her was. He only answers by saying it would be very telling.

I don't know enough about the classical music to make a call as to his favorite, because I am sure the deep meaning would factor in. But I know what song I think is his Theme song and the most important message to Ana on that Ipad.

Try by Nellie Furtado Cool

What do you think is his favorite or theme? Very Happy
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:
[Hmmmm, you tempt me to join face-book. I resisted that so far but now...is it very complicated to open up a face book account?

As for the third part, I have taken a small break with "Dream Lake". I downloaded the third part already though. It is just that part two ended on such a happy note (ignoring the evil villain lurking in the shadows) that I am not prepared for all the baby angst. Besides I feel already really sorry for Christian. I thought he really, really deserved to be number one for somebody for a much longer period of time than just a couple of months, especially since he and Ana actually still would have had all the time in the world to become parents . That early pregnancy would be hard for any first timer in regard to love and even more so for someone as damaged as Christian. I'm peeved on his behalf, LOL. Also they can forget about their hot sex life for quite a while, and I can't really see Christian taking up with that. They're still in that lusty hormone driven phase of a young adult relationship and a baby so not fits into that sort of life!!! Babies often put a strain on an even well established, mature, adult relationship.

A Coaching teacher of mine has recently become a father (willingly so!) and even though he practices meditation and yoga he admits that his new born son with his three months colics put a severe strain on his well established equilibrium. My sister-in-law was so sleep-deprived when my niece was a toddler that she said that she understood mothers who put a pillow on their babies just to make them stop crying. And those two people - my sister in law and my Coaching teacher are well-balanced people with relatively normal childhoods (in contrast to Christian). To put in a nutshell: I do not terribly anticipate part three but I will certainly read it.

Kerstin

It's not a bad idea to take a break but..you may find you're pleasantly surprised by book 3. It's true that there is less time to 'play' when you have a new baby but as a reader you don't spend much time with them in that scenario, it's more of an add on at the end. I'm thinking that if you'd like to extend your enjoyment of Christian and Ana in books 1 & 2 that it might be a good time to check out the Christian Grey blog we've been speaking about. I cannot sing it's praises enough, you'd never know it wasn't written by E.L. James, in fact I don't know that she could do any better. The only thing you might miss is the humor because being from Christian's POV it's more serious in tone but still a pleasure, IMHO.

Facebook - if you're not already on I don't know that you'd want to open up a whole can of worms, haha. If you'd rather not be on there personally I have some friends that go on with pen names so that they can follow their favorite pages but still keep their privacy. It's not hard to sign up.

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
I thought I posted asking this question but maybe it didn't take.

At the start of Book 2 Ana asks Fifty what his favorite song on the Ipad he gave her was. He only answers by saying it would be very telling.

I don't know enough about the classical music to make a call as to his favorite, because I am sure the deep meaning would factor in. But I know what song I think is his Theme song and the most important message to Ana on that Ipad.

Try by Nellie Furtado Cool

What do you think is his favorite or theme? Very Happy

That's a toughie, I need a reread! Yeah Try si good, especially the part where it says "I can see you standing there, wanting more from me, all I can do is try." So fitting! I forget what else was on the play list though, is it listed somwhere? I too would not know enough about the classical music to guess, perhaps Xina..

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: