AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty shades new discussion (6th FSOG thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

[quote="Judyblueeyes"]
xina wrote:

From the book we don't have much to go on. But what we do I think leads us to clearly understand Christain's attactment to Elena, she is the ONLY person who isn't his employee that knows what he "likes". Even knows that he has sex with women, for crying out loud! How isolated could another person make themselves. So for him she is the ONLY person he can Ever go to with his problems, questions, or just plan conversation about his life. Without her he truly would have no one until Ana, and then he was always worried she would leave him if she understood him-like Elena understood him.

So from Elena's POV ( IMO) for a Dom what a great gift. she has him all to herself, she has all his secrets. The power she must feel every time she was at a family or social event and she knew how she had once controled him and she still knew she could control him, just differently. Like that drop in to the penthouse with the made up story about black mail that she pulled out of her *ss. We can guess she was there to work her magic on him since she was getting no where with pushing Ana under her thumb. Which I think was how Elena was going to manage the romance was by running ruff shot over Ana. But lucky for Christain Ana wasn't interested in Mrs. Robinson's advice and friendship.
So even with all the garbage Elena was pulling with Ana and Fifty could only yell and swear at Elena, but he never broke his connection to her until the end. And really that was after she made a pass at him at the bar or something

So I do think Christain had some feelings for her. He felt responsible for what her husband did to her. and he thought what Elena did for him saved him from himself. But I don't think Elena feels anything more than ownership of him, like a pet or favorite toy.

Yes, it's true that Elena was the only one who knew the real Christian aside from the Dr. By approaching him at such a young age, she could form him into anything she wanted. It seemed she hated losing that power and I thought she missed his friendship too. So, when Ana came around, she wasn't like Elena and she wasn't one of his subs.

When she was approaching Ana, trying to control her as well, I really wanted Christian to stand up for Ana and insist that she back off. He didn't do that until the end because he realized she was poison to his relationship with Ana. Besides, he wasn't that person anymore. The one that needed Mrs. Robinson's friendship. I am glad that the author didn't make her into an evil witch, even though she still wanted control she didn't try to physically hurt Ana. So many novels resort to that. She was, what she was and the reader could deal with her in that way.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[Yes, it's true that Elena was the only one who knew the real Christian aside from the Dr. By approaching him at such a young age, she could form him into anything she wanted. It seemed she hated losing that power and I thought she missed his friendship too. So, when Ana came around, she wasn't like Elena and she wasn't one of his subs.

When she was approaching Ana, trying to control her as well, I really wanted Christian to stand up for Ana and insist that she back off. He didn't do that until the end because he realized she was poison to his relationship with Ana. Besides, he wasn't that person anymore. The one that needed Mrs. Robinson's friendship. I am glad that the author didn't make her into an evil witch, even though she still wanted control she didn't try to physically hurt Ana. So many novels resort to that. She was, what she was and the reader could deal with her in that way.

Xina, true, I don't think E.L. James took the easy way out with any of the characters.

Linda
ps - side note, I like your new sig line. Smile
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:
Linda: I found Kate bossy and interfering but bookish and sensible girls with no boyfriend like Ana tend to attract these kind of histrionic friends when they are younger (I know what I'm talking about, LOL). If this was real life, Kate and Ana would have either a fall out or they would eventually go separate ways.

That's true, especially when they don't approve of your significant other.

Quote:
Many friendships you make in younger years fall apart for a number of reasons, sometimes only because of distance and life styles. I haven't gotten yet to the part you mentioned to see how hings turn out between Christian and Kate but if it is so as you told me I'm glad.

Oops, sorry for the spoiler!

Quote:
I know this totally bugged me about the wallflower series by Lisa Kleypas. There was a huge conflict between one of the characters and another one's choice of husband and it was totally glossed over, kind of like, well yeah you tried to abduct and rape me just for my money and now you're married to my best, somewhat naive and ivory towered mousy friend but I don't give a damn. I'll be best buddy with my abductor and would-be rapist because...well because this is a romance where all ends have to be neatly tied up. When I read a romance I want the hero and heroine to be blissfully happy but everything else doesn't have to be perfect. In fact I have a more cozy feeling if there's a modicum of realism in the story especially if it is a contemporary. As for Ana and Kate, if they stay friends I'm OK with that. Kate had her merits though she was not my cup of tea.

Your last line especially sums up my thoughts on Kate, lol I haven't read the wallflower series by Lisa Kleypas but I do agree that sometimes authors do like to wrap everything up sticky sweet and it's often not necessary.

Quote:
To no one in particular: I don't know why I was so comfortable with the BDSM elements though. I read a sex scene where the hero spanks the heroine with a ruler and I just accepted it. I used to get my panties twisted when there was an anal sex scene in a romance. Go figure.

Who are you and what have you done with Kerstin? lmao!! Seriously though I think it's cute. It's all consensual so it's good. I've never minded a little slap and tickle but when I've read more hardcore BDSM stories they are a huge turnoff. I just can't see it. I'm very glad Fifty is BDSM light as they say. Absolutely no judgment on anyone that feels differently though.

Linda
mirole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all the posters on this thread: I am trying to keep abreast with posts on this thread in between a crazy busy schedule and I am enjoying everybody's input. I agree with most of your opinions.

Kerstin and Judyblueeyes: I am very glad you enjoyed FSoG and other book(s) in the series. I also loved book 1 the most, found book 2 a bit of a let-down and loved book 3 against my expectation and much more than book 2.

Re Kate: I liked her a lot despite her controlling ways (I think she always had Ana's best interests at heart) and thought it was refreshing to have a rich girl in a book who was not mean and spoilt but very caring, generous, talented and driven to succeed professionally. One small thing though, I found her romance too much behind the scenes and thus underdeveloped and less believable. But this is a very minor complaint.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:
To all the posters on this thread: I am trying to keep abreast with posts on this thread in between a crazy busy schedule and I am enjoying everybody's input. I agree with most of your opinions.

Kerstin and Judyblueeyes: I am very glad you enjoyed FSoG and other book(s) in the series. I also loved book 1 the most, found book 2 a bit of a let-down and loved book 3 against my expectation and much more than book 2.

Re Kate: I liked her a lot despite her controlling ways (I think she always had Ana's best interests at heart) and thought it was refreshing to have a rich girl in a book who was not mean and spoilt but very caring, generous, talented and driven to succeed professionally. One small thing though, I found her romance too much behind the scenes and thus underdeveloped and less believable. But this is a very minor complaint.

Mirole, that's a good point about Kate, I'll kinda grudgingly agree because she really did annoy me so much, haha. Her romantic side story could have been more developed with possibly it's own book except the 'rich girl' heroines we usually see are those with a heart of gold rather than the cool confident Kate.

I look forward to Kerstin reading book 3 so we can hear her thoughts. Very Happy

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: One of my favorite lines Reply with quote

Just reading a little of Fifty Darker and they at her and Kate's apartment after dinner and he threatens to put her over his knee for her sarcasm about where the ice cream is and she asks about the silver balls and he makes his own sarcastic comment about need to care a spare pair because he doesn't have much need for them at work. She says something about his sarcasm and he then says

"Well, Anastasia, my new motto is, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"

I think I miss how funny that is the first time I read the story. or i was moving through the story so I didn't take the moment to enjoy how funny and real that makes her characters.[/b]
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: One of my favorite lines Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:

I think I miss how funny that is the first time I read the story. or i was moving through the story so I didn't take the moment to enjoy how funny and real that makes her characters.[/b]

I read it twice too. The first was the Australian version which is a bit different. Anyway, I picked up on a lot of the humor that I missed the first time around. I know so many people who have read it twice. I'll probably read all the books again at some point.
Kerstin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: One of my favorite lines Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Judyblueeyes wrote:

I read it twice too. The first was the Australian version which is a bit different. Anyway, I picked up on a lot of the humor that I missed the first time around. I know so many people who have read it twice. I'll probably read all the books again at some point.

I'm nearly finished with part two and totally enjoyed the humor in it. My favorite humor part was Ana's inner musings about a crappy day in her office (when she comes in late and Jack gets mad with her). Her dry observations about that day really made me giggle like mad which seldom happens when I read a book. Usually that happens only when I watch movies.

At first I thought FSOG is better than FSD but I enjoyed part two as much for other reasons. The humor, the banter and also that we see a couple in love for a longer period of time. Usually when we get to see that part in a romance when they are all lovey-dovey the book is almost at an end or you are actually in another couple's story and you only get a glimpse of the happy couple (like in a series). I totally enjoyed seeing Christian and Ana being in love. I thought I could resist part three because I really hate early pregnancy plot stories but well I am an addict now. I need my stuff. Wink

Oh my, I have become a fan girl and I never was one before. I totally resisted Harry Potter, Twilight and the Hunger Games and what else there was everyone consumed and raved about. Now I am on the bandwagon.

Kerstin
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: One of my favorite lines Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:

At first I thought FSOG is better than FSD but I enjoyed part two as much for other reasons. The humor, the banter and also that we see a couple in love for a longer period of time. Usually when we get to see that part in a romance when they are all lovey-dovey the book is almost at an end or you are actually in another couple's story and you only get a glimpse of the happy couple (like in a series). I totally enjoyed seeing Christian and Ana being in love. I thought I could resist part three because I really hate early pregnancy plot stories but well I am an addict now. I need my stuff. Wink

Oh my, I have become a fan girl and I never was one before. I totally resisted Harry Potter, Twilight and the Hunger Games and what else there was everyone consumed and raved about. Now I am on the bandwagon.

Kerstin

I am so with you on both these points. First think this my first love affair with characters in a book. I really like them, and I don't know if it is because, like you point out Kerstin, we get to spend so much time with them as a loving couple, but I think that might be a big reason.

As for the pregnancy, I would of said it again was E.L. James throwing the kitchen sink at us, but out of most of the kitchen she threw at us this one was the most intereting, but she could of saved it for a book 4 which would of sold millions too. Ana having a baby (because I don't think he thinks of it as his child at the start) meant that he wouldn't be #1 with her, that the baby would be first and he would come in second, and I think he needed time to be the most important person to her, so he could feel safe. He is always trying to make Ana safe because I think he never trusts that he is safe. (which with his security team I wouldn't be either, love Taylor, but really)
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: One of my favorite lines Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:
[Oh my, I have become a fan girl and I never was one before. I totally resisted Harry Potter, Twilight and the Hunger Games and what else there was everyone consumed and raved about. Now I am on the bandwagon.

Kerstin

On my way to work and am going to comment in more detail later but quickly - one thing all of those books have in common is that they are young adult novels. They were so good adults caught on to reading them but still geared towards the young adult crowd initially. One of my theories about the success of Fifty is that as an audience we were ready for a grown up story, a 'love story with kink' as E.L. James describes them was just the thing. Fun, sexy, romantic, a little taboo, a little dangerous and perfect timing.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: One of my favorite lines Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:

Kerstin

I agree...I loved that part about the relationship. Reading about them in love and dedicated to the relationship was very nice.
As for part 3, this book was my favorite. I do admit that it was a tad too long, and that there was an over amount of love scenes, but still, I loved it. Christian's reaction to the pregnancy struck me as realistic. Not all couples are jumping with joy when they discover they are pregnant. I thought that was different than the usual romance novel where the couple is overjoyed, which is wonderful, but doesn't always happen. The way he cames to terms with it won me over.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: One of my favorite lines Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:

Ana having a baby (because I don't think he thinks of it as his child at the start) meant that he wouldn't be #1 with her, that the baby would be first and he would come in second, and I think he needed time to be the most important person to her, so he could feel safe. He is always trying to make Ana safe because I think he never trusts that he is safe. (which with his security team I wouldn't be either, love Taylor, but really)

He didn't want the child to interfere with his close and safe relationship with Ana. Frankly, I was shocked at his reaction, because we never see that in a romance novel. He threw a fit and left, and stayed away. I love his POV at the end. I had read the Australian version the first time around and his POV was not included. What a treat to read what a loving father he turned out to be.
erika

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a conversation today with my brother about FSOG. It shocked me that he heard about it and what was funny he didn't get the title right, he called it heat of grey! Apparently one of his friends works in a bookstore and mentioned all the older women buying the book. Then he asked if our mom should read it Embarassed I said hell no she should read Judy Bloom or the Hunger Games!!!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
I had a conversation today with my brother about FSOG. It shocked me that he heard about it and what was funny he didn't get the title right, he called it heat of grey! Apparently one of his friends works in a bookstore and mentioned all the older women buying the book. Then he asked if our mom should read it Embarassed I said hell no she should read Judy Bloom or the Hunger Games!!!

That is just hilarious!! Actually the heat of grey is kind fitting, lol I can't imagine my mom reading this book or at least I can't imagine trying to have a conversation with her about it, haha

I have a friend that I've just gotten hooked on Fifty! *evil laugh* Twisted Evil She told me she's been avoiding it becuase she heard it had bad writing, I told her to pfffft all of that and just try it because TRUST ME you will love it! So I get an excited email after she's read the first telling me she's hooked, another email in the middle of the 2nd telling me she's never been so turned on and she's 65 years old. Laughing Now she's racing through the 3rd and she can't get enough, she wants to read the Christian Grey blog next. Mhhuuaaaah!!

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Christian's favorite song Reply with quote

In book 2 after Ana gets the Ipad, she asks Christian what is his favorite song. He only answers that it would be telling.

so Here is my question: What do you think is his favorite song. I don't have a clue but I do know that the one that I can't hear anylonger without thinking it is Christian's theme song is "Try" by Nelly Furtado.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: