AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty shades new discussion (6th FSOG thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmredd wrote:
Xina I'm loving "Knight"!! Thank you so much. Do you have anymore like that one? Also have you guys seen this? http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/141451/50_shades_of_grey_movie?utm_medium=sm&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=50shades_fanpage

I'm glad you're enjoying it kmredd! Kristen Ashley has quite a few titles to choose from. I've only read "Knight", but plan to read more by her. There is a thread on the Potpourri Forum regarding Kristn Ashley. You should check it out.
About the link you posted..lol, I only know about half of those actresses. And Jolie...no, for one thing, she is way too old to play Ana, and another...she doesn't strike me as sweet and innocent in any way, shape or form. Right?
xina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
I think it is best Christians POV is left in the FanFic world. I don't think a book from his side would work, it does in the shorter world of FF, but I just don't see it as a stand alone book. I say this as I am sitting waiting with desire for that next chapter of the blog, so maybe I am crazy for thinking the it wouldn't work as a legit book.

I think it might work. One book, not three. I'm really enjoying the fanfic as well, and am taking my time with it, because I'll hate waiting for that next chapter. It is good. Almost like James wrote it herself.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to combine replies!

Judyblueeyes wrote:
I think it is best Christians POV is left in the FanFic world. I don't think a book from his side would work, it does in the shorter world of FF, but I just don't see it as a stand alone book. I say this as I am sitting waiting with desire for that next chapter of the blog, so maybe I am crazy for thinking the it wouldn't work as a legit book.

Writers, published or un-published like other artist impress the HECK out of me. I am so grateful we live at a time in history that we can enjoy and escape into someone’s art. It doesn’t matter to me if it is Paintings, sculptures, music or writing it can just care me away. I think that is one of the best elements of FSoG the music just adds an element, like in a movie!

Oh and I should add in my previous post that the dark and light fighting for Christian are “Mrs. Robinson/Pedo” and Dr. Flynn (I loved that part of the blog because it really spelled/wrote out the struggle that we all knew/hoped was happening) . In the story it isn’t as spelled out, much more left to the imagination, another place she could of written the drama and it would have been fantastic even from Ana’s side.

Another Note: I think I saw some discussion about Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire and I have to say it was just alright, if someone is looking for the kind of relationship and character development of FSoG this book is not it. IMO

I think it could work published in Christian's POV! Though maybe not the whole series. Granted the fanfic does have shorter chapters and it reads like plenty. I never gave fanfiction much of a chance until Fifty Shades of Grey so it's been a side benefit to reading the series. Since Fifty was also initially self published (I think I've got that right) it shows how much self publishing and the digital format can add to our reading diversity, it seems to me that authors are able to take more of a risk rather than adhere to a strict publishing standard such as Harlequin's rule about readers having to agree with a characters choices. I would not have made the same choices Ana made but that's what made it all the more fun to read.

kmredd wrote:
Xina I'm loving "Knight"!! Thank you so much. Do you have anymore like that one? Also have you guys seen this? http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/141451/50_shades_of_grey_movie?utm_medium=sm&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=50shades_fanpage

I haven't seen many heroes quite like Christian or Knight but if you like a dominant hero and don't mind a more hardcore BDSM scene then I would highly recommend some fanfiction done by tara_sue_me, it's Twilight fanfiction as Fifty started out to be. The Submissive, The Training and The Dominant. The Dominant is The Submissive told from Edward's pov. I have to say it amazed me how many BDSM and dom Edward fan fictions there are out there, haha. Here is a link -

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1595284/tara_sue_me

And if you go to the story you want to start with you can put the url into this site here and they'll convert it to the format you prefer. I wish I could do this with the Christian Grey blog, then I wouldn't be stuck reading it on the laptop -

http://www.flagfic.com/

erika wrote:
Speaking of fanfction, I have been reading more of it than traditionally published books lately. What I've found is the fanfiction that works more for me are the ones that create their own worlds like FSoG.
Has anyone checked out fanfiction.net??

Erika, I have yes! Do you have any recs? I have had mostly the same experience with using the same dialog as you with the exception of the Christian blog we've been discussing. In that case the same dialog hasn't kept me from enjoying it.

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started a seperate thread for movie and fun chat here, please feel free to join in!

http://likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=128630#128630

Linda
Kerstin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Right, I'm wondering if the baby aspect was put in because Bella in Twilight also has an unplanned pregnancy and this did start as Twilight fanfic.

Yes, that was what I thought, too. Pity, though that she didn't change that part.

Quote:
Definitely she had the most power of the two and she certainly wasn't submissive. I also like how she doesn't stand for the 'Mrs. Robinson' excuses and let her off the hook for bringing Christian into that lifestyle at a young impressionable age.

Absolutely. Right now, Ana wins me back when she tells Mrs. Robinson her opinion at the charity ball in a very direct way. She really has a mind of her own and I actually agree with her assessment here.

Quote:
You are bringing up lots of aspects I enjoyed about Ana, I too liked her adventurous spirit! That's the fun side of having a younger less experienced heroine, she wasn't jaded from past relationships. It was fun to see her take a risk and just go for it.

Yes, I really enjoyed that this heroine was acting her age in a good way. I often find very young heroines annoying because they either act too adult or too childish for my liking but here the author found the right balance IMO. For example Ana's drunken night: Even a usually sensible, bookish girl like her would eventually fall from grace. It reminded me of myself at that age and my first and only totally drunken night. LOL.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I know that he's far from perfect, he's controlling to the extreme but I didn't get the feeling it was coming from a place of disrespect. Not to mention he was in therapy, how many heroes do we run across that have the maturity to know they have a problem and get help for it? I respected that about him and that he had Ana talk to his therapist. I thought that while the story did have some romance clichés it was still fresh in many ways.

Oh, the therapist angle. How could I forget about that. Another aspect why the story works for me so well. Ana helps him heal but he also has intense counseling which a person that damaged would indeed need. I also admired him for taking that route. I think that this intense therapy helped Christian to let Ana into his life in the first place and that Ana is contributing to his healing. Christian himself wants to have a go at a normal relationship. I found that totally refreshing. He is one of the rare very damaged heroes I truly liked because he's so self aware and willing to change. I always admire people who try to develop and mature. I also think Ana's thinking changes with experiencing the world, for example though she still thinks that (IMO rightly so) that Mrs. Robinson was exploiting Christian she's also ready to acknowledge that Mrs. R. is not a cartoon villain but a complex person who in her own twisted way really cares about Christian.

Kerstin
[/code]
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:

Oh, the therapist angle. How could I forget about that. Another aspect why the story works for me so well. Ana helps him heal but he also has intense counseling which a person that damaged would indeed need. I also admired him for taking that route. I think that this intense therapy helped Christian to let Ana into his life in the first place and that Ana is contributing to his healing. Christian himself wants to have a go at a normal relationship. I found that totally refreshing. He is one of the rare very damaged heroes I truly liked because he's so self aware and willing to change. I always admire people who try to develop and mature. I also think Ana's thinking changes with experiencing the world, for example though she still thinks that (IMO rightly so) that Mrs. Robinson was exploiting Christian she's also ready to acknowledge that Mrs. R. is not a cartoon villain but a complex person who in her own twisted way really cares about Christian.

Kerstin
[/code]

Not to take the Christain POV blog as facts of the book, but when I read the Blog and that last chapter (chapter 27?) where Fifty has the conversation with Mrs. Roberson the Pedo (after Dr. Flynn tells him to question her angle) Because of that take of Mrs. Roberson it made me really think about her and how the Blog author got it right on. IMO- Elena doesn't care for Christain like she pretends, she cares about herself, she isn't anyones fool. I started thinking about all that she did in FSoG and I don't think anything wasn't self-serving first and for most. All her attempts to get at Ana without Christains knowledge, that made up reason she stopped by the penthouse and was surprised to find Ana. That time i think she was trying to bring him back to her. Ana respresented a force that was taking the control she had on Fifty away, she was doing everything she could to control him, like the Dom she was, without him realizing she was in control of his life. I think the thing she loved/liked most about Fifty was that he was hers first and always until Ana.

So I dont' think that is her caring about him, it is her caring about having control or in some way keeping Fifty under her influence. What is that called topping from the bottom? even if she wasn't tech the bottom to his top.
kmredd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
kmredd wrote:

I'm glad you're enjoying it kmredd! Kristen Ashley has quite a few titles to choose from. I've only read "Knight", but plan to read more by her. There is a thread on the Potpourri Forum regarding Kristn Ashley. You should check it out.
About the link you posted..lol, I only know about half of those actresses. And Jolie...no, for one thing, she is way too old to play Ana, and another...she doesn't strike me as sweet and innocent in any way, shape or form. Right?
I can't believe Jolie even got on the list!! Thank you I will for sure check out Ms. Ashley on the potpourri form.
erika

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I'm going to combine replies!

Judyblueeyes wrote:

Writers, published or un-published like other artist impress the HECK out of me. I am so grateful we live at a time in history that we can enjoy and escape into someone’s art. It doesn’t matter to me if it is Paintings, sculptures, music or writing it can just care me away. I think that is one of the best elements of FSoG the music just adds an element, like in a movie!

Oh and I should add in my previous post that the dark and light fighting for Christian are “Mrs. Robinson/Pedo” and Dr. Flynn (I loved that part of the blog because it really spelled/wrote out the struggle that we all knew/hoped was happening) . In the story it isn’t as spelled out, much more left to the imagination, another place she could of written the drama and it would have been fantastic even from Ana’s side.

Another Note: I think I saw some discussion about Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire and I have to say it was just alright, if someone is looking for the kind of relationship and character development of FSoG this book is not it. IMO

I think it could work published in Christian's POV! Though maybe not the whole series. Granted the fanfic does have shorter chapters and it reads like plenty. I never gave fanfiction much of a chance until Fifty Shades of Grey so it's been a side benefit to reading the series. Since Fifty was also initially self published (I think I've got that right) it shows how much self publishing and the digital format can add to our reading diversity, it seems to me that authors are able to take more of a risk rather than adhere to a strict publishing standard such as Harlequin's rule about readers having to agree with a characters choices. I would not have made the same choices Ana made but that's what made it all the more fun to read.

kmredd wrote:

I haven't seen many heroes quite like Christian or Knight but if you like a dominant hero and don't mind a more hardcore BDSM scene then I would highly recommend some fanfiction done by tara_sue_me, it's Twilight fanfiction as Fifty started out to be. The Submissive, The Training and The Dominant. The Dominant is The Submissive told from Edward's pov. I have to say it amazed me how many BDSM and dom Edward fan fictions there are out there, haha. Here is a link -

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1595284/tara_sue_me

And if you go to the story you want to start with you can put the url into this site here and they'll convert it to the format you prefer. I wish I could do this with the Christian Grey blog, then I wouldn't be stuck reading it on the laptop -

http://www.flagfic.com/

erika wrote:
Speaking of fanfction, I have been reading more of it than traditionally published books lately. What I've found is the fanfiction that works more for me are the ones that create their own worlds like FSoG.
Has anyone checked out fanfiction.net??

Erika, I have yes! Do you have any recs? I have had mostly the same experience with using the same dialog as you with the exception of the Christian blog we've been discussing. In that case the same dialog hasn't kept me from enjoying it.

Linda

Here are a few some are works in progress:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7659651/1/Dusty

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7772463/1/Unbecoming

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5463682/1/Hit_By_Destiny

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6850896/1/You_Took_It_All_Away
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:
Absolutely. Right now, Ana wins me back when she tells Mrs. Robinson her opinion at the charity ball in a very direct way. She really has a mind of her own and I actually agree with her assessment here.

Agree and I like that Ana is not easily intimidated and speaks her mind. I was building up such a resentment for Elena at that point that I was cheering her on.

Quote:
Yes, I really enjoyed that this heroine was acting her age in a good way. I often find very young heroines annoying because they either act too adult or too childish for my liking but here the author found the right balance IMO. For example Ana's drunken night: Even a usually sensible, bookish girl like her would eventually fall from grace. It reminded me of myself at that age and my first and only totally drunken night. LOL.

And a little drunk dialing too, been there and winced about it in the morning, lol.

What did you think of Kate? I kept thinking she was going to turn out to be a 'bad guy'. I was glad the author didn't take that route though I found her interference highly annoying at times. I liked that she really did care about Ana even if I didn't like the way she showed it. I thought she too was very controlling at times. I also liked that Christian never warmed up to Kate though he tolerated her and from a distance respected her. In so many books everyone just ends up loving everyone else and it's so warm fuzzy it's silly. This was more realistic.

Quote:

I agree, without the therapy Christian would not have been at that place where he was willing to let go of a lot of that control and open his heart up. It wasn't like out of the blue the heroine comes in and changes the hero for the better, he was already working on his issues before he met her. I also respected that he insisted that Ana speak to Dr. Flynn before she agrees to marry him. He really wants her to know what she's getting into and accept him or not with full disclosure.

Linda

Last edited by Linda in sw va on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
xina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:

Because of that take of Mrs. Roberson it made me really think about her and how the Blog author got it right on. IMO- Elena doesn't care for Christain like she pretends, she cares about herself, she isn't anyones fool. I started thinking about all that she did in FSoG and I don't think anything wasn't self-serving first and for most. All her attempts to get at Ana without Christains knowledge, that made up reason she stopped by the penthouse and was surprised to find Ana. That time i think she was trying to bring him back to her. Ana respresented a force that was taking the control she had on Fifty away, she was doing everything she could to control him, like the Dom she was, without him realizing she was in control of his life. I think the thing she loved/liked most about Fifty was that he was hers first and always until Ana.

So I dont' think that is her caring about him, it is her caring about having control or in some way keeping Fifty under her influence. What is that called topping from the bottom? even if she wasn't tech the bottom to his top.

On the subject of Elena aka Mrs. Robinson, I think she cared about him in a very dysfunctional way. Haven't gotten to that chapter in the blog, but in the book she became more and more desperate to keep Christian contained. As Ana and Christian's relationship grew, her character seemed selfish and controlling. In the end Christian had to see that for himself and stop that relationship forever. As for love, in a weird way, I think they did love one another.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
. Ana represented a force that was taking the control she had on Fifty away, she was doing everything she could to control him, like the Dom she was, without him realizing she was in control of his life. I think the thing she loved/liked most about Fifty was that he was hers first and always until Ana.

So I don't' think that is her caring about him, it is her caring about having control or in some way keeping Fifty under her influence. What is that called topping from the bottom? even if she wasn't tech the bottom to his top.

I tend to agree here. Even though Christian split with Elena she still had him under her thumb. Ana steps into the picture and for the first time she was going to lose that so she tried a little sabotage only Ana didn't fall into it.

Xina, I agree that it was crucial that Christian see it from his own eyes, Ana could try and point it out but he didn't reall believe until he took a step back and looked at it more objectively.

erika - thanks so much for the recs!!

Linda

Last edited by Linda in sw va on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

xina wrote:

On the subject of Elena aka Mrs. Robinson, I think she cared about him in a very dysfunctional way. Haven't gotten to that chapter in the blog, but in the book she became more and more desperate to keep Christian contained. As Ana and Christian's relationship grew, her character seemed selfish and controlling. In the end Christian had to see that for himself and stop that relationship forever. As for love, in a weird way, I think they did love one another.

From the book we don't have much to go on. But what we do I think leads us to clearly understand Christain's attactment to Elena, she is the ONLY person who isn't his employee that knows what he "likes". Even knows that he has sex with women, for crying out loud! How isolated could another person make themselves. So for him she is the ONLY person he can Ever go to with his problems, questions, or just plan conversation about his life. Without her he truly would have no one until Ana, and then he was always worried she would leave him if she understood him-like Elena understood him.

So from Elena's POV ( IMO) for a Dom what a great gift. she has him all to herself, she has all his secrets. The power she must feel every time she was at a family or social event and she knew how she had once controled him and she still knew she could control him, just differently. Like that drop in to the penthouse with the made up story about black mail that she pulled out of her *ss. We can guess she was there to work her magic on him since she was getting no where with pushing Ana under her thumb. Which I think was how Elena was going to manage the romance was by running ruff shot over Ana. But lucky for Christain Ana wasn't interested in Mrs. Robinson's advice and friendship.
So even with all the garbage Elena was pulling with Ana and Fifty could only yell and swear at Elena, but he never broke his connection to her until the end. And really that was after she made a pass at him at the bar or something

So I do think Christain had some feelings for her. He felt responsible for what her husband did to her. and he thought what Elena did for him saved him from himself. But I don't think Elena feels anything more than ownership of him, like a pet or favorite toy.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fifty shades new discussion Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
So for him she is the ONLY person he can Ever go to with his problems, questions, or just plan conversation about his life. Without her he truly would have no one until Ana, and then he was always worried she would leave him if she understood him-like Elena understood him.

Very true! Christian felt that if Ana truly knew him and the thoughts that ran through his head she would leave and never come back and understandably so. Wouldn't most of us? Someone tells me they like to whip brown haired girls that remind them of their mother, well I'm going to break record speed getting out of there. Though dysfunctional with Elena he had someone that knew everything about him and accepted him though also molded him.

Quote:
So from Elena's POV ( IMO) for a Dom what a great gift. she has him all to herself, she has all his secrets. The power she must feel every time she was at a family or social event and she knew how she had once controlled him and she still knew she could control him, just differently.

Very good point.

Quote:
Like that drop in to the penthouse with the made up story about black mail that she pulled out of her *ss. We can guess she was there to work her magic on him since she was getting no where with pushing Ana under her thumb. Which I think was how Elena was going to manage the romance was by running ruff shot over Ana. But lucky for Christian Ana wasn't interested in Mrs. Robinson's advice and friendship.
So even with all the garbage Elena was pulling with Ana and Fifty could only yell and swear at Elena, but he never broke his connection to her until the end. And really that was after she made a pass at him at the bar or something

It seemed to take forever for him to break if off with her, at least from a reader's POV that couldn't stand her. I get it though and E.L. James played it out in a way that fit their characters. I wonder if we will ever have a story quite like them again, I hope so but I know this kind of couple that is such a treasure doesn't come around every day.

Quote:
So I do think Christian had some feelings for her. He felt responsible for what her husband did to her. and he thought what Elena did for him saved him from himself. But I don't think Elena feels anything more than ownership of him, like a pet or favorite toy.

And he felt accepted by her, even with her knowing his faults. I can't make up my mind what Elena felt for him, I do think she cared for him but in a selfish way. It wasn't about what was best for Christian, she was too self centered for that. I'm glad that Ana and Dr. Flynn were able to help him see that.

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occured to me...yes I can be slow.

What does every predator do, whether animal hunting or sex, they isolate the prey. So as E.L James has Ana call it Mrs. Robinson is a Pediphile (because he was only 15 when she stalked him) with a kinky twist. No questions.

And I so agree I love the characters because they are very deep and true to analysis, it call can be seen when you start taking the story apart. Which makes my one and only problem with the second and third books more painful to me. I just think all the drama was so under developed. Which is most likely the books editors fault, why didn't that person take the time or give the time to pull some of that out or cut it out. It is the stuff that doesn't hold up to being pulled apart. Fifty could have such great security and not just one nut get to them but two multiple times without any resources of their own to mention. (shaking my head wishing for something different)

What I think is the good news is that E.L James can write characters and hopefully the rest will come along and the next book will be breathtaking. I love reading an authors work from their first to the latest and usually you can totally say about after the 3 or 4 they really get their grove on. (then in some cases you can then see how they just start cranking stuff out and you want to cry for what was) Crying or Very sad
Kerstin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda: I found Kate bossy and interfering but bookish and sensible girls with no boyfriend like Ana tend to attract these kind of histrionic friends when they are younger (I know what I'm talking about, LOL). If this was real life, Kate and Ana would have either a fall out or they would eventually go separate ways. Many friendships you make in younger years fall apart for a number of reasons, sometimes only because of distance and life styles. I haven't gotten yet to the part you mentioned to see how hings turn out between Christian and Kate but if it is so as you told me I'm glad. I know this totally bugged me about the wallflower series by Lisa Kleypas. There was a huge conflict between one of the characters and another one's choice of husband and it was totally glossed over, kind of like, well yeah you tried to abduct and rape me just for my money and now you're married to my best, somewhat naive and ivory towered mousy friend but I don't give a damn. I'll be best buddy with my abductor and would-be rapist because...well because this is a romance where all ends have to be neatly tied up. When I read a romance I want the hero and heroine to be blissfully happy but everything else doesn't have to be perfect. In fact I have a more cozy feeling if there's a modicum of realism in the story especially if it is a contemporary. As for Ana and Kate, if they stay friends I'm OK with that. Kate had her merits though she was not my cup of tea.

Judithblueeyes: I totally agree with your take on Mrs. R. She cared about him in a controlling way but since she was so twisted and messed up she hadn't had a good influence on Christian. Kudos for Ana for sticking to her guns. I don't think that I would have been that consistent at that age. I probably would have been way too curious and met with her. I also liked that James didn't create a super-villainous character here. Often in the old bodice rippers the young and naive heroine was juxtaposed with an older former and jaded mistress who tried to kill the heroine or get her raped by her new lover and I always liked the older mistress more for a number of reasons, mostly because I thought the hare-brained teen-aged heroine deserved to die, preferably along with the equally annoying middle aged hero. LOL. Not so here.

To no one in particular: I don't know why I was so comfortable with the BDSM elements though. I read a sex scene where the hero spanks the heroine with a ruler and I just accepted it. I used to get my panties twisted when there was an anal sex scene in a romance. Go figure.

Kerstin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: