AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are the American romance covers so cheesy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Why are the American romance covers so cheesy Reply with quote

and old-fashioned in comparison to the UK and French covers?

Example:

American cover of Karina Bliss title -( very good romance by the way)

British cover:

The British covers are much more stylish and modern looking. It's the same with historical romance - check out the French covers for some of the authors. Like Joanna Bourne's for example.

Anyways, going by the American covers one would assume that American romance readers are all backwards virgins or grandmas still living in 1950.
JaneO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do we get the lousy covers? The ones that are irrelevant to the story and set in the wrong period? The ones where the models bear no resemblance to the characters in the book?

Beats me.
jaime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Mills&Boon = Harlequin, the same publisher, yes? So, they give the cool covers to folks in Europe, while the American readership gets the cheesetastic covers.

Something does not compute. Rolling Eyes
stl_reader

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the American one does look cheesy. But I'm not too thrilled with the U.K. one either. Both of them are the types of covers that really put me off contemporary romances...
Natalie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading ebooks has cured me from caring about covers Laughing
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like the Before and After looks of the librarian! Makeover! (Stacie and Clinton are hiding in the background)
Manda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the American cover of WTLD. I like the bookshelves in the background and I like the tattooed hero. And the heroine is wearing vintage clothes, just like the character in the book. The British cover is...dull.

That isn't to say that I don't sometimes prefer the British covers. The publisher who does Eloisa James and Julia Quinn's books in England makes some gorgeous ones.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manda wrote:
Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the American cover of WTLD. I like the bookshelves in the background and I like the tattooed hero..

I like the American one better as well. Very Happy

Linda
KataO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Manda wrote:
Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the American cover of WTLD. I like the bookshelves in the background and I like the tattooed hero..

I like the American one better as well.

Linda

I like the American cover, too. Smile
goldberry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the American cover for the relevance to the title in both the background (library) and the tag line (she's got a secret that's long overdue).
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that the American cover is more accurate plotwise - the British cover has nothing to do with what happens in the story. However, I still prefer the UK cover because of the design. The American cover offends my artistic sensibilities - such as they are, hee.
Cora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK edition is a 2-in-1, i.e. two category romances collected in a single volume. Mills & Boon does a few of those 2-in-1s. So the UK cover could just as well refer to the other novel included in the collection, LA Cinderella by Amanda Berry.

In general I prefer Mills & Boon's UK covers to Harlequin's North American covers, because the Mills & Boon covers usually look classier. Doesn't mean they're necessary more accurate and the US cover of What the Librarian Did does illustrate the story, even if it is somewhat cliched.
CharlotteJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess I miss those Harlequin covers from the 70s and 80s Smile

I don't know why, but I find that the more realistic the covers became, the less impressed I was with them.

I think at one point, Harlequin did covers with 'real' people and I disliked those a lot.

I wonder why Harlequin doesn't go the route of the mainstream publishers because I notice that big name authors like Nora Roberts and Karen Robards don't have people on the covers. It's usually just some kind of abstract background or at the most, it's just the body they show.

I like those types of covers better.
Minerva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at covers on the Mills&Boon site, and I agree that they get much better covers. I don't love all of them, but I like the majority. They are so much better than the Presents covers. I really like the covers for the Modern line. The Riva line is a little cheesy.

Mills and Boon is doing a special on some Spice Briefs stories. They have changed the covers from the Harlequin covers. All their covers are reminiscent of 50 Shades of Grey. I wonder if this is going to be the new trend in covers for erotic books.

(I don't know how to add pictures, so I'm adding the link)

http://www.millsandboon.co.uk/books/12-Shades-of-Surrender.htm
JyLnC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, I prefer the American version, too. Everyone has different tastes but Harlequin will use cover styles that have proven successful based on their sales figures. It's all about the bottom line.

Here is one of my favorite US Series Covers from our 2009 Cover Cafe contest. I love it!

2009 - 4th Place

Entangled Publishing has launched several digital Series imprints this year. They have a more minimalist design and we'll have to see how they fare in the 2012 cover contest.

Linnae aka JyLnC
Cover Cafe Committee Chair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: