AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gone Girl- is it worth buying?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldberry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe I will get this from Overdrive before the movie comes out...
Very Happy

You are patron 653 out of 653 on the waiting list.
*Waiting list may be shorter for your library.
Library copies owned: 67
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Gone Girl. It really was great. Have to say, though, that the beginning did not grab me as her first book Sharp Objects did some years ago. The beginning was a bit slow and until the story finally pulled me in (and never let go), I wasn't sure where it was going. Having been acquainted with her writing in the past, made continuing on an easy choice for me.

Summarizing, if you hang in for the first 50 or so pages, it is definitely worth it. Once Reese Witherspoon's name was mentioned in earlier posts, I kept seeing her as Amy, and well cast at that.

I love dark books, but especially so when the dark humor appears alongside. Chelsea Cain does this very well and also the Dexter series on TV. Flynn is wonderful with it, too. It's a talent. Very Happy
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Finished Gone Girl. It really was great. Have to say, though, that the beginning did not grab me as her first book Sharp Objects did some years ago. The beginning was a bit slow and until the story finally pulled me in (and never let go), I wasn't sure where it was going. Having been acquainted with her writing in the past, made continuing on an easy choice for me.

Summarizing, if you hang in for the first 50 or so pages, it is definitely worth it. Once Reese Witherspoon's name was mentioned in earlier posts, I kept seeing her as Amy, and well cast at that.

I agree the beginning was a little slow, but having read comments(not reviews) re: the book, I kept saying thinking "Don't think you know what going on!" Knowing the author was leading me on kept me guessing. And I still did not see it coming:)

I agree Reese Witherspoon is an excellent choice!
Margaret

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flynn is an auto-buy for me, enjoyed both Sharp Objects an Dark Places. I'm struggling with the beginning of Gone Girl, but Nick's father just made an interesting appearance...hoping it picks up the pace.

pwm in mi wrote:
Tee wrote:

I agree the beginning was a little slow, but having read comments(not reviews) re: the book, I kept saying thinking "Don't think you know what going on!" Knowing the author was leading me on kept me guessing. And I still did not see it coming:)

I agree Reese Witherspoon is an excellent choice!

Last edited by Margaret on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I'm struggling with the beginning of Dark Places, but Nick's father just made an interesting appearance...hoping it picks up the pace.

Good luck, Margaret. Loved Sharp Objects, did not finish Dark Places. I just couldn't get into it. Let me know if perseverance is the key here. I kept reading and it wasn't lighting a fire under me. This was when it first came out a couple of years ago, so maybe my patience was a bit low. Smile
xina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Margaret wrote:
I'm struggling with the beginning of Dark Places, but Nick's father just made an interesting appearance...hoping it picks up the pace.

Good luck, Margaret. Loved Sharp Objects, did not finish Dark Places. I just couldn't get into it. Let me know if perseverance is the key here. I kept reading and it wasn't lighting a fire under me. This was when it first came out a couple of years ago, so maybe my patience was a bit low. Smile

I am reading Sharp Objects now. Not that far into it, but really enjoy her writing.
I think we should start a spoiler thread for Gone Girl. I just don't know how to head it. Spoilers within??? Warning?? I would hate to spoil this book for anyone who is planning on reading it.
Margaret

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Margaret wrote:
I'm struggling with the beginning of Gone Girl, but Nick's father just made an interesting appearance...hoping it picks up the pace.

I should have said I'm struggling with the beginning of Gone Girl...I've corrected it.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I should have said I'm struggling with the beginning of Gone Girl...I've corrected it.

Okay, I had that same problem. Sticking with it is key, if you like Flynn as a writer. It should grab you and you'll be flowing with the story when that happens.

xina wrote:
I am reading Sharp Objects now. Not that far into it, but really enjoy her writing.

That was a strange one, too, but one that resonated with me quickly. Loved it.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Margaret wrote:

Okay, I had that same problem. Sticking with it is key, if you like Flynn as a writer. It should grab you and you'll be flowing with the story when that happens.

xina wrote:

That was a strange one, too, but one that resonated with me quickly. Loved it.

I had no problem sticking with Gone Girl. I think that is why I was so surprised when the story turned on a dime. I was pretty into it anyway then all of a sudden...wham.
I'm liking Sharp Objects too, but haven't been doing as much reading this past week.
Margaret

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
...all of a sudden...wham.

I'm 3/4 done and I haven't had a wham moment...hope that's still to come.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:

Uh oh, I think you're in a bit of trouble. It caught me well before that. Could be it's not the book for you, Margaret. Shocked
xina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
xina wrote:
...all of a sudden...wham.

Really? not at the halfway point? Darn it.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little side note..My daughter and I were discussing this book last night, and we both agree that the perfect song for the Gone Girl movie should be, Pink's new song called, Blow Me One Last Kiss. Not the cleaned up version, but the original lyrics. It is just so Amy-like.
Margaret

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! Just finished Gone Girl. I think that this book might make an interesting black comedy, but I was less than impressed with it as a mystery/thriller. Too many holes in the plot, and I think science is just too good now for much of the evidence to be believable. I think the author was trying to give us an unreliable narrator but Amy and Nick were just false, the author changing the story to fit.

I wouldn't recommend it. Flynn's first two books were much better.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Whew! Just finished Gone Girl. I think that this book might make an interesting black comedy, but I was less than impressed with it as a mystery/thriller. Too many holes in the plot, and I think science is just too good now for much of the evidence to be believable. I think the author was trying to give us an unreliable narrator but Amy and Nick were just false, the author changing the story to fit.

I wouldn't recommend it. Flynn's first two books were much better.

I'm thinking that is how it will promoted for the movie...a black comedy. The only thing that bothered me was the ending. It didn't ring true to me. Sorry it didn't work for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: