AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Gone Girl- is it worth buying?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
goldberry



Joined: 26 Dec 2011
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe I will get this from Overdrive before the movie comes out...
Very Happy

You are patron 653 out of 653 on the waiting list.
*Waiting list may be shorter for your library.
Library copies owned: 67
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Gone Girl. It really was great. Have to say, though, that the beginning did not grab me as her first book Sharp Objects did some years ago. The beginning was a bit slow and until the story finally pulled me in (and never let go), I wasn't sure where it was going. Having been acquainted with her writing in the past, made continuing on an easy choice for me.

Summarizing, if you hang in for the first 50 or so pages, it is definitely worth it. Once Reese Witherspoon's name was mentioned in earlier posts, I kept seeing her as Amy, and well cast at that.

I love dark books, but especially so when the dark humor appears alongside. Chelsea Cain does this very well and also the Dexter series on TV. Flynn is wonderful with it, too. It's a talent. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pwm in mi



Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Posts: 359

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Finished Gone Girl. It really was great. Have to say, though, that the beginning did not grab me as her first book Sharp Objects did some years ago. The beginning was a bit slow and until the story finally pulled me in (and never let go), I wasn't sure where it was going. Having been acquainted with her writing in the past, made continuing on an easy choice for me.

Summarizing, if you hang in for the first 50 or so pages, it is definitely worth it. Once Reese Witherspoon's name was mentioned in earlier posts, I kept seeing her as Amy, and well cast at that.


I agree the beginning was a little slow, but having read comments(not reviews) re: the book, I kept saying thinking "Don't think you know what going on!" Knowing the author was leading me on kept me guessing. And I still did not see it coming:)

I agree Reese Witherspoon is an excellent choice!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Margaret



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 880

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flynn is an auto-buy for me, enjoyed both Sharp Objects an Dark Places. I'm struggling with the beginning of Gone Girl, but Nick's father just made an interesting appearance...hoping it picks up the pace.








pwm in mi wrote:
Tee wrote:
Finished Gone Girl. It really was great. Have to say, though, that the beginning did not grab me as her first book Sharp Objects did some years ago. The beginning was a bit slow and until the story finally pulled me in (and never let go), I wasn't sure where it was going. Having been acquainted with her writing in the past, made continuing on an easy choice for me.

Summarizing, if you hang in for the first 50 or so pages, it is definitely worth it. Once Reese Witherspoon's name was mentioned in earlier posts, I kept seeing her as Amy, and well cast at that.


I agree the beginning was a little slow, but having read comments(not reviews) re: the book, I kept saying thinking "Don't think you know what going on!" Knowing the author was leading me on kept me guessing. And I still did not see it coming:)

I agree Reese Witherspoon is an excellent choice!


Last edited by Margaret on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I'm struggling with the beginning of Dark Places, but Nick's father just made an interesting appearance...hoping it picks up the pace.

Good luck, Margaret. Loved Sharp Objects, did not finish Dark Places. I just couldn't get into it. Let me know if perseverance is the key here. I kept reading and it wasn't lighting a fire under me. This was when it first came out a couple of years ago, so maybe my patience was a bit low. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Margaret wrote:
I'm struggling with the beginning of Dark Places, but Nick's father just made an interesting appearance...hoping it picks up the pace.

Good luck, Margaret. Loved Sharp Objects, did not finish Dark Places. I just couldn't get into it. Let me know if perseverance is the key here. I kept reading and it wasn't lighting a fire under me. This was when it first came out a couple of years ago, so maybe my patience was a bit low. Smile



I am reading Sharp Objects now. Not that far into it, but really enjoy her writing.
I think we should start a spoiler thread for Gone Girl. I just don't know how to head it. Spoilers within??? Warning?? I would hate to spoil this book for anyone who is planning on reading it.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Margaret



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 880

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Margaret wrote:
I'm struggling with the beginning of Gone Girl, but Nick's father just made an interesting appearance...hoping it picks up the pace.

Good luck, Margaret. Loved Sharp Objects, did not finish Dark Places. I just couldn't get into it. Let me know if perseverance is the key here. I kept reading and it wasn't lighting a fire under me. This was when it first came out a couple of years ago, so maybe my patience was a bit low. Smile


I should have said I'm struggling with the beginning of Gone Girl...I've corrected it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I should have said I'm struggling with the beginning of Gone Girl...I've corrected it.

Okay, I had that same problem. Sticking with it is key, if you like Flynn as a writer. It should grab you and you'll be flowing with the story when that happens.

xina wrote:
I am reading Sharp Objects now. Not that far into it, but really enjoy her writing.

That was a strange one, too, but one that resonated with me quickly. Loved it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Margaret wrote:
I should have said I'm struggling with the beginning of Gone Girl...I've corrected it.

Okay, I had that same problem. Sticking with it is key, if you like Flynn as a writer. It should grab you and you'll be flowing with the story when that happens.

xina wrote:
I am reading Sharp Objects now. Not that far into it, but really enjoy her writing.

That was a strange one, too, but one that resonated with me quickly. Loved it.



I had no problem sticking with Gone Girl. I think that is why I was so surprised when the story turned on a dime. I was pretty into it anyway then all of a sudden...wham.
I'm liking Sharp Objects too, but haven't been doing as much reading this past week.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Margaret



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 880

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
...all of a sudden...wham.
.


I'm 3/4 done and I haven't had a wham moment...hope that's still to come.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I'm 3/4 done and I haven't had a wham moment...hope that's still to come.

Uh oh, I think you're in a bit of trouble. It caught me well before that. Could be it's not the book for you, Margaret. Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
xina wrote:
...all of a sudden...wham.
.


I'm 3/4 done and I haven't had a wham moment...hope that's still to come.




Really? not at the halfway point? Darn it.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little side note..My daughter and I were discussing this book last night, and we both agree that the perfect song for the Gone Girl movie should be, Pink's new song called, Blow Me One Last Kiss. Not the cleaned up version, but the original lyrics. It is just so Amy-like.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Margaret



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 880

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! Just finished Gone Girl. I think that this book might make an interesting black comedy, but I was less than impressed with it as a mystery/thriller. Too many holes in the plot, and I think science is just too good now for much of the evidence to be believable. I think the author was trying to give us an unreliable narrator but Amy and Nick were just false, the author changing the story to fit.

I wouldn't recommend it. Flynn's first two books were much better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Whew! Just finished Gone Girl. I think that this book might make an interesting black comedy, but I was less than impressed with it as a mystery/thriller. Too many holes in the plot, and I think science is just too good now for much of the evidence to be believable. I think the author was trying to give us an unreliable narrator but Amy and Nick were just false, the author changing the story to fit.

I wouldn't recommend it. Flynn's first two books were much better.



I'm thinking that is how it will promoted for the movie...a black comedy. The only thing that bothered me was the ending. It didn't ring true to me. Sorry it didn't work for you.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group