AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gone Girl- is it worth buying?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Gone Girl- is it worth buying? Reply with quote

I read a review this morning and saw it is tops the NYT best seller list. I am thinking about ordering it. I usually do not buy hard cover books especially a new to me author but even the little exerts in the review had me hooked. Plus there is a 123 person waiting list at the library. I am not that patient.
If you read it, what did you think?
I was thinking it might be a good book to pass among family and friends that's why I am leaning toward hardback and not ebook. Do you think the book has mass appeal?(Most of my friend read general fiction(The Help) and thrillers(Dan Brown, Daniel Silva)
Thanks in advance.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the waiting list myself for it because I didn't know it was out there. I read Flynn's first book some years ago, Sharp Objects, and really loved it. It dealt with a dark obsession but I thought she handled it well. Did not like her next book and Gone Girl is her third. Because of my experience with her first novel, I am totally looking forward to this one.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it so much! I bought it, but have it digitally. I wish I had the paper copy because, I have recommended this book to so many people who don't read digitally. I would like to pass it around. It is a rollercoaster of a story. One moment you think you know what's going on and then...you don't. There is a reason this book is so high on the book charts. I will be sure to read more from this author.
babyfishmouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also loved it. I'm glad I didn't read any reviews. Even mild spoilers would have detracted from my enjoyment because, like xina said, it's a real roller coaster. Every time I thought I had some part of the plot figured out, it would go in a completely different direction.

Totally worth the $12.99 I paid for a digital copy.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyfishmouth wrote:
I also loved it. I'm glad I didn't read any reviews. Even mild spoilers would have detracted from my enjoyment because, like xina said, it's a real roller coaster. Every time I thought I had some part of the plot figured out, it would go in a completely different direction.

Totally worth the $12.99 I paid for a digital copy.

Wasn't that just the beauty of the story? I had a pretty good idea of what was going on, or at least I thought I did, and no...I was wrong.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add...I would recommend that anyone planning to read this book should not read any reviews. It is a difficult book to review without revealing too much information, and once you know...the magic of the book is diminshed. Just a heads up.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Just to add...I would recommend that anyone planning to read this book should not read any reviews. It is a difficult book to review without revealing too much information, and once you know...the magic of the book is diminshed. Just a heads up.

What is it about? This is the first I've heard of it!

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
xina wrote:

What is it about? This is the first I've heard of it!

Linda

It is about a young couple who's marriage is on the rocks. Alternating POV's. 1st chapter is Nick, next is Amy...ect. Think War of the Roses (the movie) mixed with Fatal Attraction. A really well done psychological thriller. Crazy, funny and just plain horrifying. Smile

edited to add....When I say funny, it really isn't. More like a very dark humor at times.

edited for a spelling error. ugh..missing "h".

Last edited by xina on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Diana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to the audiobook and the two narrators were outstanding, defining the alternating povs really well.

It is not a romance but the story of a couple who are in love as much as they are able. A psychological thriller. I'm very glad I went into it cold knowing nothing about where it was heading. There are reviews all over the Internet that are too spoilery.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

I actually stopped reading the review mid way because I was feeling like I did not want to know anymore.

FYI I decided to bite the bullet and ordered it. I should get it on Thurs.

Thanks for the all feedback!
Vol Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read it and it is virtually impossible to discuss without giving spoilers. Let's just say I loved it and I hated it at the same time. After you all have read it, maybe we can have another thread to discuss with a heavy spoiler heading.

It IS a rollercoaster and very well written. It is a psychological mystery with many twists and turns.

Has anyone read her other books? I've been debating on getting them, but since I had such a mixed reaction, I think I may try to get them at the library instead of buying them. But I'm curious as to whether or not they were any good. I am beginning to find myself a bit skeptical of Amazon reviews. Not necessarily for this book, but I've found others that didn't quite match up to the book for me.

Edited to add: I just now saw your post Tee and since we seem to like the same type of books, I may try her first one.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vol Fan wrote:
I just now saw your post Tee and since we seem to like the same type of books, I may try her first one.

Get it from the library and nothing is lost. I found Sharp Objects captivating in spite of the subject it deals with. Excellent writer, at least in this one. The second book didn't hold me that well. Definitely looking forward to this one, though, especially with all the great comments about it.
HEAreader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vol Fan wrote:
I've read it and it is virtually impossible to discuss without giving spoilers. Let's just say I loved it and I hated it at the same time. After you all have read it, maybe we can have another thread to discuss with a heavy spoiler heading.

It IS a rollercoaster and very well written. It is a psychological mystery with many twists and turns.

Can someone message me privately and tell me if there is a happy ending? Honestly, I am not in the mood to read anything right now that doesn't turn out well. I am intrigued by what I have read about the book but can't tell if I want to read it.

TIA....

Should I start a spoiler thread instead?
Laela

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also listened to the audiobook and it was outstanding. One of the best audiobooks I have listened to. However, I really would have loved to read the book because I am a faster reader than audiobook-listener! I wanted to devour it!
mirole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys made me so intrigued by this book (HEA or no HEA I donít care Ė itís a different genre) that I went and placed a hold on this book in the librarary.

Can you imagine there are only 40 copies for the whole Toronto library system and 1,060 holds! So I donít know when thatís going to happen. I will be monitoring Chapters.ca for drop of prices for print books and Kobo too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: