AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read July - October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heartless, Mary Balogh (A) Ė I loved this book nearly as much as my other recent Balogh novel, More Than a Mistress. I chose it for my next Balogh reading as it seems to generate plenty of strong emotions in readers. As with MtaM, this novel centers on secrets between the main couple and like MtaMís Jane, Anna Kendrick has secrets and she fears for her life if they are revealed. She doesnít trust sufficiently in her new husbandís love and commitment and so she tries to hide incriminating evidence from Luke, much to the detriment of their developing relationship. I find novels where the man and woman marry first and then learn to know each other interesting as it forces them to confront emerging feelings post-courtship. In the case of Anna and Luke, the actual courtship takes place in just one week before they wed.

Iíll just say too that much ado is made throughout the book of Lukeís appearance and so for readers who dislike the fop and dandy of the late-18th century, these details might distract. Itís amusing to note that Balogh wants this extravagant male figure as her lead but at the same time takes great effort to reassure us that heís very masculine. For those who loved the film or book Dangerous Liaisons or read 18th- century classics such as Samuel Richardsonís Clarissa, you wonít have any difficulties with the attire and affectations of Georgian society. Personally I think this is a wonderful period and wish more romance authors wrote about it.

I have to admit that I love a heroine that has a secret. It somehow levels the balance of power a bit. Luke is a managing and alpha man that wants to control everyone and everything, including his new bride, while protecting his heart from the dangers of love. He canít however persuade her, browbeat her, or physically force her to reveal her secrets, though there is an angry bedroom scene that is sexy and yet borderline uncomfortable in terms of the power dynamic. All in all my final thoughts here are that I just enjoy a novel that leisurely explores its ideas, as so many recent novels seem short and a little underdeveloped. I know that Balogh has some shorter fiction, but this novel isnít one of them at nearly 400 pages (small print), and I loved reading all of it.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the spirit of Halloween:

Twice Bitten by Chloe Neill
This is the third book in the Chicagoland Vampire series. I enjoyed the first and second book, and the third was no different. The series follows Merit a newbie, but powerful vampire who is the Sentinel for her house (vampires affiliate with a house and are loyal to the master of that house, they are also "out" to the public). She and her house master, Ethan, have a conflicted relationship of mutual attraction and inconsistent trust. In this book, their relationship heats up ( thumbs up!). Also Werewolves are added to the mix.

If you like the Moning's Fever series or Frost's Grave series, I think you would like this series.
Happy Halloween!!
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFL wrote:

I'm also very fond of Snow Angel

I dug out my copy of Snow Angel and read it during superstorm Sandy. Thank you for reminding me of it; it's a lovely romance and perfect reading for a period of bad weather. No villains, no Big Mis, just a great H/h who must overcome a very real obstacle to their HEA.

And a propos of the discussion of big age differences in the Confessions of a Countess thread, Rosamund's first husband was much older than she and she loved him deeply. In this book I found this sweet and endearing.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His Very Own Girl by Carrie Lofty

This is a World War II historical. Lulu, is a British ATA pilot who is dedicated to helping the war effort , especially after her parents (both pilots) were shot down and killed at the start of the war. Joe is a U.S. paratrooper medic, who has served time in prison and is estranged from his family. They meet when Lulu has to make an emergency landing and Joe is the first to respond. It is the months before D-day and the novel follows their relationship through the end of the war.

I have not read Lofty before, but I was impressed. She has a master's degree in history and it shows. The war is not just back ground, it like it's own character. Besides the conflict of two different countries with two different views on women's roles ( Lulu relishes that she can fly help the war effort, Joe detests the idea of women being involved, feeling they should be kept safe and sound,) there is forming a strong connection with someone and not know if you will ever see them again. Lofty deftly illustrated how uncertain the world felt, both to soldiers and women back home.

This was a very angsty book, how could it not be? But I am so glad I read it.
pickyreader

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt.

I have to say that compared to what I've been reading lately, this one was quite lovely. Hoyt's writing is flawless. I could just see the heroes in my head, you know? Like when you read a novel, it's as if you're an invisible party and eavesdrop at their conversations, watching from the sidelines, the scene unraveling before you.. like you're watcing a movie--but better. Hoyt accomplishes that.
The heroes were fantastic. I liked Anna and as for the hero, Edward, I often wished I could jump into the pages and just kiss him --full on the mouth.

I give it an

A-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: