AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"In Death" series by J D Robb...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:

Although I've really enjoyed so many in this series, Portrait is my favourite of them all, I think, because we see Roarke so discombobulated and less than perfect, and wonder of wonders, sharp with Eve, a state very rare for him. And in a change of pace, it's Eve who has to be the nurturing one. I'd love your thoughts on this installment when you're done.

What she said. (I have another online friend meandering her way through the series, and I want to just hand her Portrait and say, "read this one already, would you?")
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I feel the emotional impact of the events in Portrait have a bigger payoff if you've (a) read the previous books in the series and (b) you come to you spoiler free.

I remember being truly shocked by one of the things that happens in that book and can still revisit that sense of "whoa!" whenever I reread the book. Obviously having read the series in real time as it was published I can't know that if reading the books out of order the first time or knowing the event in advance "spoils" it the very literal sense of the word. I know that some fans read the series more for the mystery elements, some for the romance, etc, so none of us all read the books in the same way. But that sense of surprise had a very real impact on me and, as a fan of the series, I want every reader to have that same “aha!” moment or at least their own version of it.

Not sure this is spoiler-free enough, but that’s my 2¢
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Kristie, MrsFairfax and library addict--

Finished Portrait in Death; and although the mystery part of it was not extraordinary, the relationship between Roarke and Dallas definitely was. I'm pretty sure that is what the three of you are talking about commonly. It's funny, and I think I can say this without giving anything away, but Dallas just doesn't have a clue when it comes to providing bandaids to a situation. I love it. She blunders about, goes into denial, then asks someone she has respect for what is the right thing to do. Inevitably it ends up with her saying that this marriage thing is hard work. And it is--don't we all know?

Roarke was very vulnerable here and he appeared to be clueless at times, too, as to what action to take. Really not so different from life, in that sometimes we get thrown for a loop and don't know the next step to take. Yes, it was a different side of him, for sure. Lovin' how Roberts is allowing us to see how this relationship moves and grows--beyond the HEA--still in love, but hitting the challenges that living their lives sends along the way. I'm all caught up in the characters (with the exception of Mavis and Leonardo, sorry to say). More appear to be added occasionally and it just adds to the family. I can definitely see the addiction to the series, as Dick has said. I can see why so many people enjoy the books as they come out. Ready for Imitation..., but first I have some foot surgery tomorrow, then a forced weight-off-the-foot for six weeks. Wonder what books I'll be reading? Very Happy
dick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes re Eve and Roark. Sometimes though, Eve gets it exactly right, as in her championing of Summerset over the too cheerful nurse, suggesting he hide a bottle and demanding that he get the cat.

As to the foot surgery, you have my sympathy. Did I not get steroid and/or alcohol shots regularly, I'd have to go around in socks or bare feet.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
To Kristie, MrsFairfax and library addict--

Finished Portrait in Death; and although the mystery part of it was not extraordinary, the relationship between Roarke and Dallas definitely was. I'm pretty sure that is what the three of you are talking about commonly.

Exactly. The mystery plot is pretty much a repeat from Sanctuary, but the personal revelations make this one a high point of the series for me.

Sorry to hear about the foot surgery! Hope you have someone who loves you to wait on you and bring you bon-bons and books.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
Sorry to hear about the foot surgery! Hope you have someone who loves you to wait on you and bring you bon-bons and books.

It's an ongoing thing with my husband that, even though he applied for the position of cabana boy during recuperation, he may not get it due to not being qualified. Very Happy But I have been practicing the arm and hand movements involved in the beckoning command. Can you believe that I showed him finally how to work our washing machine since it's in the basement and I won't be doing stairs? Guess who's been spoiled in our household? I'm sure it'll all work out. As long as he picks up books at the library and keeps the TBR basket filled, we're good. Cool

dick wrote:
Did I not get steroid and/or alcohol shots regularly, I'd have to go around in socks or bare feet

The cortisone shot I received about six months ago did absolutely nothing. I stalled long enough; I knew surgery would be the next step, but like Dallas, tried to do all in my power to postpone and deny. Since the secondary issues in the foot are actually caused by arthritis, I'm hoping that there will be some lessening of pain anyway. Think positive and all of that, I say. Very Happy

Last edited by Tee on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
library addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the surgery.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:
Good luck with the surgery.

Thank you and think of all the books in this series I'll be able to read toward my goal of catching up! Very Happy
dick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Eerie--fact vs fiction Reply with quote

Everybody read in the news about Paneta's warning about the possibility of a cyber war after someone's--Iran, it's thought--infecting an oil company's computers with a virus that destroyed data? IIRC, just such a virus was a plot point in "Divided in Death,," published in 2004.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Eerie--fact vs fiction Reply with quote

dick wrote:
Everybody read in the news about Paneta's warning about the possibility of a cyber war after someone's--Iran, it's thought--infecting an oil company's computers with a virus that destroyed data? IIRC, just such a virus was a plot point in "Divided in Death,," published in 2004.

I didn't see that. But there is also a movie with Sandra Bullock (I think) which I saw years and years ago, where a virus is destroying data. I think it's called The Net. I know; that's a lot of "I thinks". Bullock is a complete computer geek/loner and ends up in danger because her identity is stolen and no one knows her because of her complete social isolation.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Eerie--fact vs fiction Reply with quote

dick wrote:

I didn't see that. But there is also a movie with Sandra Bullock (I think) which I saw years and years ago, where a virus is destroying data. I think it's called The Net. I know; that's a lot of "I thinks". Bullock is a complete computer geek/loner and ends up in danger because her identity is stolen and no one knows her because of her complete social isolation.

Elizabeth
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering lately about the Urban Wars of the In Death books. Does anyone remember when and why they started? Is the "Real World" in danger of a similar conflict erupting?

Kay
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading Purity... and Portrait..., I thought I was truly off to the races with the series. Unfortunately, the next two books, Imitation... and Divided... didn't grab me as many of the others did. However, I'm well into Visions... and that book is definitely back on track. I think I missed the characters and their interrelationships in those couple of books. I have found, now that Eve and Roarke are relatively comfortable in their relationship, that the other characters add zest to the stories. They were missing here. Visions... has enough intermingling with the crew to take any boredom away. The next four are on reserve and we continue marching through. Very Happy
library addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit disappointed the first time I read Divided, but in rereads it has become one of my favorite books in this series. The repercussions from that story continue to play out in subsequent books. Spoiler And I thought the arguments between Eve and Roarke and their conflicting view over how to handle the revelation about the HSO’s knowledge of what happened to Eve (and their inaction) was so true to each of their characters and their relationship. Plus it has some great Feeney scenes.

Visions is another book where I enjoyed the personal interactions between the characters much more than the mystery.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:
Visions is another book where I enjoyed the personal interactions between the characters much more than the mystery.

Yes, that's the book I'm into now and almost finished with. I am loving it a lot and I know it's because of the characters' interractions. In a series which features two main characters in 36 some books, it's important, IMO, to have other focuses. Most of the mysteries are well done (almost surprisingly so), but it just may not be enough to sustain. All in all, a wonderful series. I am very happy that I decided to begin reading it. I know that not all of the stories will be A/B material, but Roberts has succeeded in making the majority of them very interesting. Kudos to her; that's not an easy feat. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: