AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"In Death" series by J D Robb...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melann

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roarke gets some character development later on as well. He's still too perfect, but he's less obnoxious about it Laughing

Let me offer one hint, thought it may be unnecessary:

It's important to keep the timeline in mind. Things just don't move as fast in Eve & Roarke time as they do here in the real world. I quit the series (mid-book) for about 10 years because there was an aspect of the E&R relationship that I found extremely problematic, made worse by the fact that Eve didn't address it as I though she should have (based on my view of her character, not on my personal preferences).

I picked them up again when I needed a new audio book, planning to stop at three. Susan E. changed my mind. That's when I discovered I'd quit, literally, one chapter too soon. The audio books don't leave me time to dwell on that which offends my sensibilities ( Smile , so I stick with audio for this series.

I say this hint might be unnecessary because (A) the thing that bothered me might not bother you, and (B) I was reading the books as they were published, so what took Eve a little more than a year to (finally!) address had been irritating me for about six years. You won't have that issue.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found all the info you posted very helpful to know. Thank you so much, melann. I'm also happy to hear that you think he's a tad too perfect. In fictionland, all is accepted. Smile
kari

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee, Roarke's character does show some flaws as the series carries on. Also, it becomes clear that his attraction to her shouldn't be questioned from Eve's POV. Eve's sense of self has been damaged because of the early abuse, and she doesn't realize how attractive and interesting she really is, and why Roarke fell so deeply in love with her. When you "look" at Eve from the POV of some of the other characters, it becomes clear that she is strong enough to overcome and even match his seeming perfection. (I hope that all makes sense. I'm having a hard time putting it into words.) For instance, Survivor in Death looks at Eve from a very interesting POV - that of a young girl who is the only survivor of a family massacre. She adores Eve, not because Eve tries to "mother" her, but because she trusts Eve will achieve justice.

I first tackled the series when there were only fifteen or so stories. I was on summer vacation, and I'm a really fast reader. I went all the way through the series, and was so frustrated that there weren't any more that I sat down and read them all over again! (I didn't suffer from a feeling of reading too many stories that were all the same at the time, but considering how many books have been published since then, I might get a little overwhelmed if I tried the same thing now. The last time I went on an In Death glom I read only the last half of the series.) I think you'll find the series more than worth your time.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of encouragement here from readers of this series and you are no exception, kari. I'm hung up on the fourth book and I think after this one I need a mini break. There is a book waiting for me at the library not connected to this series and that will be good. But I know I can always go back to visit Eve and Roarke whenever there's a lull in reading or for whatever reason. I plan to continue on, just not at breakneck speed.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Survivor in Death is one of my favourites in the series, Kari. The scene where Eve and Roarke take Nixie to the morgue - ye Gods! Absolutely brutal, but Eve's empathy with Nixie which she cannot express, but Nixie clearly feels, is beautiful.

Tee, definitely take a break. You don't want to burn out here and, in my experience, it is possible to burn out on anything, no matter how good, if you have too much all at once. This includes chocolate. Sad

Elizabeth
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth Rolls wrote:
it is possible to burn out on anything, no matter how good, if you have too much all at once. This includes chocolate. Sad

Say it isn't so! I think chocolate is exempt from this quote. Very Happy The sixth book is Vengeance in Death and it appears as though that one, too, got a lot of praise. There are so many. Maybe after about 10 or so, I could pick and choose randomly without going in order. Then I would get the ones that people recommended over others. We'll see.
MMcA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Say it isn't so! I think chocolate is exempt from this quote

I met someone who worked for Cadburys, who told us they were allowed to eat as much chocolate as they wanted, and he said that after a couple of weeks working there, you just can't face it any more. Shocked

As for reading them out of order: I gave up after about the 12th book, I think - but did read one of the much, much later books - I think I'd run out of books whilst on holiday, and it happened to be available in a charity shop. And it was odd how little I seemed to have missed, in skipping out half the series.
Someone who follows the series might be able to tell you better, but I think it may well be possible to read them out of order once you've read the first few.

And just to check: have you read 'Parody in Death' from the sadly defunct purple prose parody contest?
http://www.likesbooks.com/ppp2001b.html#parodydeath
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
Someone who follows the series might be able to tell you better, but I think it may well be possible to read them out of order once you've read the first few.

I'll chew on that for a while and hope it's true. Already, tackling this series is becming lighter with all these tidbits of information.

MMcA wrote:
And just to check: have you read 'Parody in Death' from the sadly defunct purple prose parody contest?
http://www.likesbooks.com/ppp2001b.html#parodydeath

I hadn't seen that before and it's a hoot. Especially when Marianne describes R/Doarke's physical attributes. Very well done. I've read a couple of books by Marianne Stillings, but it seems there haven't been any out recently. Very humorous writer.
library addict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

Say it isn't so! I think chocolate is exempt from this quote. Very Happy The sixth book is Vengeance in Death and it appears as though that one, too, got a lot of praise. There are so many. Maybe after about 10 or so, I could pick and choose randomly without going in order. Then I would get the ones that people recommended over others. We'll see.

I would take frequent breaks between the books to avoid burnout. There are a few of the novellas you could skip without any impact on the overall series (the first one Midnight in Death is NOT one of the ones you should skip though as events in it are referenced later on in the series). But I would strongly recommend reading the books in order as new characters are introduced. Plus a few things happen to various major characters that will have...less of an impact on you if read out of order (trying not to be spoilery).

Some of the books work better than others as far as the mysteries go. If you are reading for just the whodunit aspect then jumping around in the series could possibly work (though many of the books I actually do not feel work as stand-alone stories). And there's a reason some of books that deal with the turning points in Eve and Roarke's relationship are considered favorites. But the set-up to many of these stories also occur in the other stories. (Still trying to not be spoilery). And the which-books-in-the-series-are-favorites is going to depend upon the individual reader (though I do think there are at least 7 or 8 books which most of the fans of the series do agree on as being important to the overall story arcs, not just for Eve & Roarke, but the main supporting characters as well).

Having read and reread this series multiple times in order it's impossible for me to say what impact reading them out of order would have. I know there are fans of the series who read a later book first and then went “back” to read the rest of the series. But there are some important things that happen to certain characters in the middle to later books where the build up to these revelations is important and the events won’t have the same impact on the reader if they jump to those books first.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've just thrown a wrench into my reading plan, library addict, but I appreciate your input. Smile Sometimes it does seem as though it doesn't matter that a book was read out of sequence, but doing it in 1-2-3 order does seem to keep the action with the characters fluid. Knowing me, I will probably do that anyway and only abandon a book if I feel it's totally not interesting, which doesn't appear to happen often in this series, according to the posters.

It does feel good to know, though, that a skipped book here and there doesn't affect it all that much, but I'm going to try to stick to the pattern. Thanks for taking the time to let me know your take on it.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I agree with Library Addict. For example, you're coming up on Ceremony in Death. The crime/mystery section isn't in my top 20 In Deaths, but there's serious character background with Eve & Feeney and the introduction of one of my favorite characters in the series, and either of those aspects would be a shame to miss.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
I have to say I agree with Library Addict. For example, you're coming up on Ceremony in Death. The crime/mystery section isn't in my top 20 In Deaths, but there's serious character background with Eve & Feeney and the introduction of one of my favorite characters in the series, and either of those aspects would be a shame to miss.

As always, I respect what you usually have to say. It's the building blocks of relationships in each book that is usually taken for granted but which add so much to the present story, as well as future ones. Thank you, MrsFairfax.
Cora

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:

I met someone who worked for Cadburys, who told us they were allowed to eat as much chocolate as they wanted, and he said that after a couple of weeks working there, you just can't face it any more. Shocked

That's actually common practice at all chocolate manufacturers. The companies know that people will quickly burn out anyway, so they let them eat all the chocolate they want rather than bother with hard to enforce limits and sanctions.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Tee, I've started reading the In Death series in order. I've resisted reading it, primarily because I haven't finished a Nora Roberts book since the Harlequins of years ago. I'm up to the third, and so far, even though I've enjoyed the reading, I note a great similarity in structure and even in content. Even though I've spaced them out, with other readings in between, so far they strike me as sort of Mickey Spillane in drag; I enjoyed Mickey Spillane too, though, so there you go.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
I'm up to the third, and so far, even though I've enjoyed the reading, I note a great similarity in structure and even in content.

They are definitely similar, dick. I've finally finished the fourth book and, even though it took a while to do so, I did enjoy it. Always there are Eve and Roarke, of course, but I liked how the relationship is being handled now. I'll even go so far as to say I am lovin' Roarke, who, up to this point, was a bit too perfect for me. He's stabilizing, for sure, as many have said. I liked his attitude in Rapture in Death.

I'm on hiatus while I read something else from the library. Then it's on to Ceremony in Death which MrsFairfax has said contains some good stuff with the characters. I believe this winter will not lack for books, since I intend to finish the series, but take my time about it also.

We'll have to compare notes occasionally, since we're not reading them every six months as they are issued, and our opinions most likely will differ from other readers because of that. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: