AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"In Death" series by J D Robb...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KayWebbHarrison: I've wondered about the Urban Wars also. Robb seems never to have explained them in any detail, but I think that somewhere Eve, and Roarke also, mentions she doesn't remember them. Summerset evidently learned whatever medical skill he has during them and that was evidently before he and Roarke hooked up. They must then have occurred prior to say 2030 or perhaps in the early 30's?
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to some reviews of the books, it appears that #35, Delusion in Death, gives the most information about the mysterious unexplained Urban Wars. Since I haven't gotten to that point yet, I can't verify that information. Can anyone else who read that far confirm this?
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
According to some reviews of the books, it appears that #35, Delusion in Death, gives the most information about the mysterious unexplained Urban Wars. Since I haven't gotten to that point yet, I can't verify that information. Can anyone else who read that far confirm this?

They're still largely mysterious and unexplained, but a terrorist cell from back then comes into play in the book's timeline.
kari

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an avid student of history, I enjoy any mystery with ties to the past - even a fictional past. Wouldn't it be nice if Nora came up with a storyline that forces them to study the Urban Wars and really gives a better picture about them?

I can see it from her POV, however - as soon as she puts a detailed storyline into the series, she's stuck with the history as she has written it. The way it is now she can bend the "history" to suit her plots.

Mild spoilers below:

Those of you who enjoy the Eve/Summerset relationship must be pleased by his role in Delusion when he and Eve bond -sort of - because his personal memories shed some light upon the mystery. Also, when Eve has to warn some of her near and dear ones to keep them out of danger, her usual heavy handed people skills come into play. I also liked the restaurant scenes toward the end.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told myself I wasn't going to post again for a while in this thread to give everyone a break from my comments after reading a book. However, I'm 3/4 of the way through Survivor... and it is wonderful. To refresh, it's about Nixie and her family. I think this is the first time I actually teared while reading any of these stories. Very well done so far. I'm not yet finished, but am trying to guess the outcome of everyone, but am not totally sure. I can wait until the end for that.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy your comments about the In Death books. Please don't wait to share your experiences with us.
Kay
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kay. How can Roberts sustain the interest in this series for as long as she has? I know I'll probably get a a few more books along the way which may be just okay; but by and large, the stories themselves have been great. As long as she involves enough antics with her varied cast of characters, they should not become boring.

And how many times and how many ways can she say she'll tie up someone's balls and feed them back to him? Shocked Each time, the statements are similar, but phrased differently. Don't think I'll tire of reading them and at the same time envisioning her saying them. So much seriousness and so much fun simultaneously. Very Happy
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
How can Roberts sustain the interest in this series for as long as she has? ; but by and large, the stories themselves have been great. As long as she involves enough antics with her varied cast of characters, they should not become boring.

So much seriousness and so much fun simultaneously. Very Happy

I think that this is the answer to your question. Also, we who have been reading the books as they are issued have more time between each; this counteracts the boredom factor, IMO.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
I told myself I wasn't going to post again for a while in this thread to give everyone a break from my comments after reading a book. However, I'm 3/4 of the way through Survivor... and it is wonderful. To refresh, it's about Nixie and her family. I think this is the first time I actually teared while reading any of these stories. Very well done so far. I'm not yet finished, but am trying to guess the outcome of everyone, but am not totally sure. I can wait until the end for that.

Nixie's visit to the morgue is, IMO, the most affecting scene Nora's ever written, followed closely by a couple of scenes from Promises.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
Nixie's visit to the morgue is, IMO, the most affecting scene Nora's ever written, followed closely by a couple of scenes from Promises.

Yes, that scene is the exact one I was speaking about. Roberts does it so matter-of-factly, but it's potent and full of emotion. I could not get through it without some tears.

I'm beginning Born in... and only a few chapters in. The last couple of books have just been okay, but this one is holding my attention. I'm trying to give each story a fair shake, but some are just better than others.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee: I'm not sure if you've come to this one or not, but another one of my favourites is Innocent in Death. In this one, Eve and Roarke again have issues so the relationship part is very good. Also - the mystery part is a bit of a heartbreaker. Oddly enough, this is one of the very few where I guessed the culprit very early in the book - almost from the beginning.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
Tee: I'm not sure if you've come to this one or not, but another one of my favourites is Innocent in Death.

Innocent... is the next one up after Born... Talk with you early next week maybe on it. Thanks, Kristie.
dick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been re-reading some of the series, just picking one up, reading the first few pages and re-reading if it catches me. "Innocent" was one I just re-read; I agree it contains some of the best scenes in the series.

A comment aside: As a rule, and definitely so in the re-readings, I find the investigation portions of the stories too often wrapped up by a lucky coincidence, not an improbable one by any means, but certainly a very lucky one. Often though, those moments are so cleverly handled, I have to ponder a moment to realize how luckily coincidental they are.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
I've been re-reading some of the series, just picking one up, reading the first few pages and re-reading if it catches me. "Innocent" was one I just re-read; I agree it contains some of the best scenes in the series.

There is a Debbie Macomber book waiting at the library for me disassociated with this series that I'm anxious to read. Following that read, will be Innocent..., which I am totally looking forward to now. Thank you, fellow readers, once again. Very Happy

As an added note, my foot in recuperation is doing quite well, but there is still much forced inactivity which drives me crazy. The activity, when it does come, requires a bit more effort than I'd like; but not really complaining, since it could be worse and I know it. What I'd like, though, at those times is the feature that all the characters in the series utilize--the Auto Chef. Wow, that would be a neat feature for right now for me. Just pop a button and there you have your meal of choice. Shocked
dick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Wouldn't we all. I've been wondering how the damn things work. In some instances, it seems the AutoChef only has to be stocked with staples and it does the work. In others, it seems it's stocked--at least at Roarke's--by Summerset. Because my wife refuses to retire, I do a lot of cooking. I'd settle for either an AutoChef or Summerset.

Glad the surgery is working out. Regardless where it occurs, it's always an insult the body objects to, IMHO. One doesn't think much about feet...until they object to being stood on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: