AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best love scenes in romance novels?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:
I find that in a lot of books I love it's not the lovemaking scenes but the anticipation of it, the buildup is what I remember the most ).

I agree and one of the reasons I adored The Serpent Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt is that I felt the build up of sexual tension was so palatable, it was richer than most love scenes I've read.

Linda
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought The Serpent Prince was one of the few books where the sexual tension didn't go away after the consummation.

Another book with great tension is The Darkling I Listen.
mirole

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
I thought The Serpent Prince was one of the few books where the sexual tension didn't go away after the consummation.

Oh, I have Darkling I Listen! Will have to read it soon now after what you said, Natalie.

Another one where I loved love scenes and also thought the sexual tension did not go away after the first time was in Kiss the Angel by SE Phillips (oh, that scene in the restaurant....).
Eggletina

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:

Oh, I have Darkling I Listen! Will have to read it soon now after what you said, Natalie.

I've been wanting to read this one, but am patiently waiting for more ebooks from this author. Anyone know if any more of hers will be reissued as ebooks?
jaime

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:

That's so true about The Serpent Prince.

And Darkling I listen only really has one explicit love scene between the hero and the heroine but that one is hot hot hot.
baseballmom5

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned the chair from Untie My Heart by Judith Ivory!!!
mirole

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Untie My Heart also, will read it at some point. Have heard this scene mentioned a lot.

I remembered another good one (not the scene but the book with more than one hot scene) - Slow Heat in Heaven by Sandra Brown.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Slow Heat in Heaven is definitely a very sexy read. I don't think of great love scenes when I think of it -- more like, just a hot book. And, rivaling that book is the scene in Linda Howard's Kill and Tell. Phew!!!! Lord, that will set you in flames.

When I think of love scenes, I don't necessarily think of sex. Sometimes a hero or heroine could do something for the person they've fallen for that takes your breath away. Some incredibly romantic gesture or declaration that is just as potent as any scenes involving love making.
lor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
Green Grass of Wyoming does sound awfully familiar as a title. I'll have to look at it again, if I can locate a copy.

I can definitely say that it made a lasting impression on me.

Virginia

Elizabeth Rolls wrote:
veasleyd1 wrote:
I'm not even sure it was a romance novel. It was the final volume in a series of books about horses that was in our school library. I don't know the title or author, although I have looked. Not Flicka; not the Black Stallion; not anything that's still around in the stores.

I was in 7th or 8th grade, so it was about 1952 or 1953. Toward the end, there was a scene in which the young hero and heroine were lying on a picnic blanket, having declared their mutual love and moving for the first time beyond polite kisses. As they embraced, she reached over and traced the shape of his eyebrows with the tip of her finger.

Somehow it still seems more realistic to me than a lot of the "bastard child of Lady Chatterley's Lover" sex scenes we now read.

You know, that does sound a LOT like Green Grass of Wyoming which is the last of Mary O'Hara's Flicka books, Virginia. Are you sure it isn't that after all? I can't check right now. We're mid re-build, living in the shed and most of my books are boxed. I do remember a very similar scene between Ken and Carey. Then later on she faces down her overbearing grandmother.

Elizabeth

It made an impression on me as well. In fact, it made such an impression that I vowed if I ever had a daughter I was naming her Carey - and I did!

I went looking for the book to check that scene but I've obviously moved it because it's not where I was sure that I had put it. I re-read it within the last year and enjoyed it thoroughly. I found some of the references (Ken contemplating starting smoking as he was very nearly grownup, e.g.) interesting, showing the very different mindset from today.

Nice to know that at least two other people out there remember the book, I was beginning to think that I was the only one!

Lor
Manda

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baseballmom5 wrote:
I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned the chair from Untie My Heart by Judith Ivory!!!

Hah! The chair scene is burned on my brain! But for me the best part is how pleased with himself the hero is for having done it in a chair. It's such an endearing, guy thing. And a great bit of characterization on Ivory's part.
xina

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Manda"]
baseballmom5 wrote:

Hah! The chair scene is burned on my brain! But for me the best part is how pleased with himself the hero is for having done it in a chair. It's such an endearing, guy thing. And a great bit of characterization on Ivory's part.[/quote

LOL! I've always had a problem picturing that scene. Try as I might, even during a reread I could only conjure up a picture of her..tied to a chair, and it tipping over all the while the hero is having his fun. I love Ivory, but that scene seems like a circus act to me...in a good way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: