AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
best love scenes in romance novels?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Monika



Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: best love scenes in romance novels? Reply with quote

Which love scenes made you swoon,feel warm and happy,tender and poignant...and in the end made you sigh?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stl_reader



Joined: 03 Aug 2011
Posts: 212
Location: Missouri

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to give a nod to Chapter 23 of Jane Eyre. You know, the one that starts A splendid Midsummer shone over England...

The "declaration of love" scene in that chapter may not be exactly what you were thinking of--no sex involved--but I love how that whole Jane/Rochester revelation plays out.

Made me swoon? Check
Made me feel warm and happy? Check
Tender and poignant? Check
Made me sigh? Check Check


Last edited by stl_reader on Wed May 09, 2012 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kris



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 311
Location: Southwestern Ontario

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time that Derek Craven and Sara Fielding make love in Dreaming of You is the best that I've ever read. He is experienced and jaded but he is so careful and sweetly passionate with Sara. Everytime I read that scene , I sit and sigh. Just lovely. Very Happy
_________________
Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaime



Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 484

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first love scene between St Vincent and Evie in Devil In Winter stands out to me - so much chemistry between them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eggletina



Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 405

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked the rain of rose petals in Jill Barnett's Bewitching. It was a wonderful metaphor for the magic that was happening between the hero and heroine and unique to them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KataO



Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 79
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then Came Heaven by LaVyrle Spencer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veasleyd1



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 2064

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure it was a romance novel. It was the final volume in a series of books about horses that was in our school library. I don't know the title or author, although I have looked. Not Flicka; not the Black Stallion; not anything that's still around in the stores.

I was in 7th or 8th grade, so it was about 1952 or 1953. Toward the end, there was a scene in which the young hero and heroine were lying on a picnic blanket, having declared their mutual love and moving for the first time beyond polite kisses. As they embraced, she reached over and traced the shape of his eyebrows with the tip of her finger.

Somehow it still seems more realistic to me than a lot of the "bastard child of Lady Chatterley's Lover" sex scenes we now read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monika



Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,i love the responses that I am getting Smile thank you Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Natalie



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Posts: 1691

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
As they embraced, she reached over and traced the shape of his eyebrows with the tip of her finger.

Somehow it still seems more realistic to me than a lot of the "bastard child of Lady Chatterley's Lover" sex scenes we now read.


I bet the boy was thinking: when can I finally get to the homerun? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elizabeth Rolls



Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 1066
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
I'm not even sure it was a romance novel. It was the final volume in a series of books about horses that was in our school library. I don't know the title or author, although I have looked. Not Flicka; not the Black Stallion; not anything that's still around in the stores.

I was in 7th or 8th grade, so it was about 1952 or 1953. Toward the end, there was a scene in which the young hero and heroine were lying on a picnic blanket, having declared their mutual love and moving for the first time beyond polite kisses. As they embraced, she reached over and traced the shape of his eyebrows with the tip of her finger.

Somehow it still seems more realistic to me than a lot of the "bastard child of Lady Chatterley's Lover" sex scenes we now read.


You know, that does sound a LOT like Green Grass of Wyoming which is the last of Mary O'Hara's Flicka books, Virginia. Are you sure it isn't that after all? I can't check right now. We're mid re-build, living in the shed and most of my books are boxed. I do remember a very similar scene between Ken and Carey. Then later on she faces down her overbearing grandmother.

Elizabeth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
veasleyd1



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 2064

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Grass of Wyoming does sound awfully familiar as a title. I'll have to look at it again, if I can locate a copy.

I can definitely say that it made a lasting impression on me.

Virginia

Elizabeth Rolls wrote:
veasleyd1 wrote:
I'm not even sure it was a romance novel. It was the final volume in a series of books about horses that was in our school library. I don't know the title or author, although I have looked. Not Flicka; not the Black Stallion; not anything that's still around in the stores.

I was in 7th or 8th grade, so it was about 1952 or 1953. Toward the end, there was a scene in which the young hero and heroine were lying on a picnic blanket, having declared their mutual love and moving for the first time beyond polite kisses. As they embraced, she reached over and traced the shape of his eyebrows with the tip of her finger.

Somehow it still seems more realistic to me than a lot of the "bastard child of Lady Chatterley's Lover" sex scenes we now read.


You know, that does sound a LOT like Green Grass of Wyoming which is the last of Mary O'Hara's Flicka books, Virginia. Are you sure it isn't that after all? I can't check right now. We're mid re-build, living in the shed and most of my books are boxed. I do remember a very similar scene between Ken and Carey. Then later on she faces down her overbearing grandmother.

Elizabeth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elizabeth Rolls



Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 1066
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Green Grass of Wyoming does sound awfully familiar as a title. I'll have to look at it again, if I can locate a copy.

I can definitely say that it made a lasting impression on me.

Virginia


There were three actual books in the Flicka series. My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead, and Green Grass of Wyoming. At some point one paperback publisher put Flicka out in two volumes and Thunderhead and GGW out in three volumes each. All up I think the books cover a span of about 8 years. The hero, Ken, who owns Flicka and Thunderhead, is about 10 in MMF and leaving school by the end of GGW. I loved those books as a kid and the scene I think you are remembering made a huge impression on me, too.

Elizabeth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mirole



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Location: Toronto, Ontario

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that in a lot of books I love it's not the lovemaking scenes but the anticipation of it, the buildup is what I remember the most (e.g. Robin Schone's The Lady's Tutor is a perfect example of the sexual tension).

Yet, if I have to name the books with my favourite lovemaking scenes, here they are:

1. Cry No More - the h and H agree they'll have sex when they are out of danger (which is in a few hours) and it's quite unusual for a romance to have that but it was so well done - all this buildup and the love scene itself!

These are from books on the tame/very subtle side but I thought the love scenes were very beautiful.

The Emerald Necklace by Diana Brown - in the middle of the book.

My One and Only by Kristan Higgins - their first. I had read The Catch of the Day before by e same author and while I loved that book too, my one complaint was a fade-to-black love scene between the h/H and no reference to it whatsoever afterwards which, for me in a contemporary novel is just wrong. In My One and Only it was very subtle but still very satisfying.

Also in one of my favourite romances - Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas - I loved all love scenes (or sex scenes) but my favourite was the third one (if we don't count flashbacks).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bijoux



Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 384

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirole wrote:


Also in one of my favourite romances - Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas - I loved all love scenes (or sex scenes) but my favourite was the third one (if we don't count flashbacks).

Which was the third, the one with the desk?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mirole



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Location: Toronto, Ontario

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bijoux: no, the one in the country where they are actually in a bed (helped a little by her mother Smile

Maybe I misremember and it's not the third but when I was reading the book, I noted it as the third one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group