AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All For You - Lynn Kurland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: All For You - Lynn Kurland Reply with quote

I agree with Pat's review of All For You. I was a tiny bit more generous with my grade at a C-.

I am a big fan of Kurland's MacLeod/de Piaget series and always look forward to her next installments. I think the earlier books in the series were better but am still reading. This book was a disappointment. There was potential here that wasn't realized. There was no chemistry and it was very blah, leaning towards boring.

The TT aspect of the story was practically non-existant and felt like it was inserted because Kurland needed to continue that aspect of the series. It didn't serve much of a purpose and was pretty "routine." The character development wasn't as strong, the romance wasn't there, and I missed the matchmaking ghosts.

Maybe this is a case of a series approaching its natural end. When the spark is gone and the plots seemed strained, it may be time to move on.
LouiseAAR

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: All For You - Lynn Kurland Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:

Maybe this is a case of a series approaching its natural end. When the spark is gone and the plots seemed strained, it may be time to move on.

Don't even say that. Smile While I agree that this one was not the best, I have high hopes!! There are still quite a few MacLeod/de Piaget's I want to see matched up. Smile
Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: All For You - Lynn Kurland Reply with quote

While Iím not foolish enough to claim this book is on par with some of Lynn Kurlandís older titles (or even one or two of the recent titles), I donít think it deserved the ďD+Ē grade it got. I guess it just pushed the right buttons for me as I was reading it, so I was able to ignore or overlook many of the character flaws that Pat chose to highlight in the review. My own personal rating is probably a B-, but for a less die-hard fan of her books this one could probably pass as a ďCĒ read.

LouiseAAR wrote:
Tinabelle wrote:

Don't even say that. Smile While I agree that this one was not the best, I have high hopes!! There are still quite a few MacLeod/de Piaget's I want to see matched up. Smile

I agree Tinabelle, it seemed like the author was probably bringing a close to dePiaget books in this one. We have now followed the family from the first Earl of Artane to the present day one, with many of the male decedents filling in the rest of the titles. Lynn Kurland herself has said that the next book will return to the MacLeod family tree, so we may see a run of MacLeod/Cameron books before there is any mention of another dePiaget character. Iím cautiously optimistic that she hasnít lost her touch yet and can still create books with compelling characters and just the right touch of whimsy.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not ready to give up on Kurland, yet. I'll see where she goes next. I have enjoyed so many of her books and love her sense of romance. Hopefully her next book will be up to her usual standards. You can't hit a homerun with every book so I'll hang in there a while longer.
Audrey

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of my once-favorite authors have jumped the shark in the last couple years and unfortunately Kurland is one of them. I'll have to pull out one of my favorites from her older ones and see if they hold up.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly she jumped the shark for me quite a few years ago. I hate losing an author for any reason and I hated losing this one as she gave me many a wonderful reading time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: