AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are your favorite Linda Howard novels and why?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently on a reread of Howard books. Am reading Open Season now, and wow..I had forgotten how fun this book is.
jaime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I am currently on a reread of Howard books. Am reading Open Season now, and wow..I had forgotten how fun this book is.

It's probably my favorite of her books I have read, the chemistry between Daisy and her man is wonderful.

I just read "All The Queen's Men" and that was a strange one for me. I liked the villain better than the hero and understood his motivations more than I understood the hero and what made him tick. I certainly cared more about the fate of the villain's daughter than about the HEA of Medina and Niema. My favorite chapter in the book was when the heroine meets Laure because I felt genuinely touched by their meeting and by that little girl.
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my favorites are Dream Man, Cry No More, Mr. Perfect, Kill and Tell, and Open Season. Death Angel though is probably her most provocative and memorable for me. The very premise of a hit man hired to hunt down his former love interest (or perhaps "sex partner" is more apt) is an intriguing one and the story is carefully ambiguous regarding his intentions, particularly in the first half of the novel, and both main characters' morality, while still being a satisfying romance, and a very sexy one at that. It definitely stayed in my mind long after finishing it.
lor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally missed this thread as it started the day we left on vacation and I didn't find it when we returned in mid-May. Linda Howard is my all-time favourite writer and it's easier for me to list the books that I dislike:

All the Queen's Men - just didn't seem to me to be the same Medina we met in Kill and Tell. I have re-read this one 2 or 3 times over the years to see if it's grown on me (I didn't like Son of the Morning at first but upon re-reading it's grown on me) but nope, it does nothing for me.
Death Angel - I forced myself to finish this one and I've never re-read it and have no desire to do so; there is no way on God's green earth that I will ever, ever change my mind!

My very favourites and frequent re-reads are:

Mr. Perfect
To Die For
and Drop Dead Gorgeous
Cry No More - I'm not often moved to tears but this book has the ability to make me cry every single time I do a re-read; it took a couple of years before I even attempted a re-read. An extraordinary book.
Kill and Tell
The Touch of Fire
Open Season
Heart of Fire
Mackenzie's Mountain
and Mackenzie's Mission
Duncan's Bride
Diamond Bay
Dream Man
After the Night
Veil of Night

My first Linda Howard was All That Glitters, which I read when it was first published in 1982. It has a pretty low grade now but it was an average read way back then. It's been just wonderful watching LH grow as a writer. She's given me countless hours of reading - and re-reading - enjoyment.

I tend to avoid books on the best-seller lists, imagine my astonishment years ago when I discovered that my two favourite authors (Nora Roberts is the other one) were regularly making the best-seller lists and have continued to do so.

Lor
PatW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lor wrote:
...Linda Howard is my all-time favourite writer and it's easier for me to list the books that I dislike:

All the Queen's Men - just didn't seem to me to be the same Medina we met in Kill and Tell. ...

Like lor I have enjoyed Linda Howard from her early days - Diamond Bay is one of my favorites as well. But the reason for this post is quoted above. I have never understood the appeal of All the Queen's Men but could't say why... now I get it...
jaime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know John Medina is a popular hero of Howard's but I personally don't understand why that is.

My favorites of the Howard books I read are probably Open Season, Cry No More and Death Angel.

I also liked Kill And Tell, Kiss Me While I Sleep and Diamond Bay.

One thing I noticed about Howard's writing quite a few times I have found a secondary or villainous male character interesting in her books and wanted more of that characters story, and there never is more.
jaime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackjack1 wrote:
Some of my favorites are Dream Man, Cry No More, Mr. Perfect, Kill and Tell, and Open Season. Death Angel though is probably her most provocative and memorable for me. The very premise of a hit man hired to hunt down his former love interest (or perhaps "sex partner" is more apt) is an intriguing one and the story is carefully ambiguous regarding his intentions, particularly in the first half of the novel, and both main characters' morality, while still being a satisfying romance, and a very sexy one at that. It definitely stayed in my mind long after finishing it.

Nods. Those are some of my sentiments about Death Angel.
Katie (kat)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand the appeal of the villian (yes villian) in All the Queen's Men that comes up in these threads. Yes, he loved his daughter but he was selling weapons to kill people. How does that get justified? If you are trying to save your child anything goes including helping terrorists blow up airplanes? John Medina is a hero. Ronsard is a murderer.
jaime

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie (kat) wrote:
I do not understand the appeal of the villian (yes villian) in All the Queen's Men that comes up in these threads. Yes, he loved his daughter but he was selling weapons to kill people. How does that get justified? If you are trying to save your child anything goes including helping terrorists blow up airplanes? John Medina is a hero. Ronsard is a murderer.

I am not questioning that Ronsard is a criminal and a murderer by association. I am not justifying his actions. I am just saying that as a fictional character I personally found him better fleshed out than the hero. As a character John Medina was too much of a cipher for me and I couldn't warm up to him.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just now reading "Open Season" for the first time. (It's one of the books I'm reading in the romantic suspense category for the reading challenge.) Anyway, I started the book with a little trepidation. Lately, Howard's books have been so dark and I must admit, I enjoy my suspense with a little humor to lighten the mood. Otherwise, it just brings my whole mood down. So glad this book has that comic element. It's been a delight thus far.
Alibook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Perfect - that perfect balance between romance and humour without trying too hard

Open Season - again the hunour and romance. Loved the scene when Daisy is buying condoms.

Dream Man - I enjoy a good alpha male.

To Die for and Drop Dead Gorgeous - again a well written alpha male, hot, and has humour.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So happy to see all the love for "Open Season" here.

I remember after it was released it took a lot of flack on message boards for a while because a lot of readers didn't like Jack and thought Daisy "could do better" and should find another guy. I personally thought Jack was on the gruff side but funny and very likeable, and probably more realistic than 99% of the heroes that are usually written. I guess it's just a matter of taste.

It's been one of my favorites since it was released (or even before as I remember reading the sample chapter and impatiently waiting for the book to be published so I could read the rest).

It's one of those books I go back and reread every so often because I like revisiting the characters and because I find it genuinely funny and sweet.
jaime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisReader wrote:
So happy to see all the love for "Open Season" here.

I remember after it was released it took a lot of flack on message boards for a while because a lot of readers didn't like Jack and thought Daisy "could do better" and should find another guy. I personally thought Jack was on the gruff side but funny and very likeable, and probably more realistic than 99% of the heroes that are usually written. I guess it's just a matter of taste.

It's been one of my favorites since it was released (or even before as I remember reading the sample chapter and impatiently waiting for the book to be published so I could read the rest).

It's one of those books I go back and reread every so often because I like revisiting the characters and because I find it genuinely funny and sweet.

Do better than Jack? Well, maybe with some fantasy prince who doesn't exist in real life. But in the real world we all have to live in - a decent guy with a sense of humor who's good in bed and doesn't throw a fit when the puppy dog eats his underwear.......gimme!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: