AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are your favorite Linda Howard novels and why?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaime

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Howard writes men well. What more can I say.

Xina, that's so true. A lot of times when I read a contemporary romance I can't help thinking that the hero is hot but not somebody that would exist in real life. Howard's men come across as sexy and real men that one could meet in real life - if one was lucky enough, hee.

Thank you, guys for your comments and your lists of favorites. There are some older Howard titles I haven't read so it's nice to get recs.
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:

I know I am the only person who thought this but I've reread Cover of Night several times and really enjoy it. The hero Cal is to die for and I liked the kids.

You're not the only one. I liked Cover of Night a whole lot, too. No idea why that one is so disliked.

Cry No More and Dream Man are two others I enjoyed very much.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top faves in no particular order, After the Night, To Die For and Drop Dead Gorgeous though there are many I also enjoyed.
MEK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the MacKenzie stories in an ebundle and I sometimes reread all them in a row when I need a comfort read. Great stuff!!

I truly love Duncan's Bride. I love how Howard took several months for the H/h to come to love each other and put them through many different situations to do it. They both have distinct personalities that are not cookie cutter. There is a wonderful diner owner as a secondary character who adds a lot of charm to the story. I lost my copy for a while and found it under the couch. Yea!

Open Season is a favorite as well.
CharlotteJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a lot of Linda Howard's older books [although not too crazy about her recent stuff]

My favorites are:

To Die For
Drop Dead Gorgeous - and I would love another book to see how Wyatt and Blair are getting on in their marriage. I'd love to see Wyatt handling Blair AND kids Smile

Dying To Please- wonderfully intense scene where the hero is physically ill because Cahill has to watch Sarah go through something unpleasant.

Heart of Fire

Dream Man

Eliza wrote:
Kill and Tell --Marc Chastain, New Orleans balcony-- 'nuff said.

That scene in Kill and Tell has to be one of the sexiest scenes I've ever read. The whole lead up with the sandwiches and cookies and wine and cool breeze is so swoonyworthy Smile
xina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
Quote:
Howard writes men well. What more can I say.

Xina, that's so true. A lot of times when I read a contemporary romance I can't help thinking that the hero is hot but not somebody that would exist in real life. Howard's men come across as sexy and real men that one could meet in real life - if one was lucky enough, hee.

Thank you, guys for your comments and your lists of favorites. There are some older Howard titles I haven't read so it's nice to get recs.

Yes, so often in contemporary romance, the author has the hero speaking like a female in terms of observations, ect. Howard's heroes seem to think like a man...not like a woman. It's not all about rainbows and unicorns. LOL...Which is a good thing. Have fun reading! Howard is a fun author to glom.
PatW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved a lot of her earlier ones: the first Mackenzie books, Diamond Bay and White Lies.

Also Kill and Tell and Now You See Her. Never got into All the Queens Men, though.

After The Night is a very polarizing book - I hated it BTW - read a couple of the one star reviews on Amazon to see if this is a book that will push your hot buttons - if so do NOT read it.
erhea13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda Howard is a go to for me and where I look first on my bookshelf for a reread.

My Favorites (in no particular order):
Dream Man - One of my favorite scenes is when Marlie informs Dane that she was fired . . . I love a good "I told you so" moment.

Kill and Tell - It can never be said enough . . . Marc Chastain!

To Die For - any book that can get me to like a cheerleader fitness nut with a first person narrative has got to be a keeper

Cover of Night - Cal . . . yes please Very Happy

Death Angle - I try to force as many things as possible into the realm of black and white, but Howard made me feel for Drea and root for her.

All in all, Howard rarely writes a character that I don't care about or want to understand. As I read more for character than plot, that is pretty important to me.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anastacyann wrote:

I didn't like:

Death Angel
(although the further away I am from reading it the more I think it was my mood, not the book)
Son of the Morning (I don't like time travel very much)
MacKenzie novels (for some reason I just didn't enjoy them, don't know why)
Prey (this worked for a lot of people, and I LOVED the hero, but the rest of the book was a flop for me)

I loved Death Angel. It certainly pushes many hot buttons. I think it is a love-it, or hate-it book.
Son Of The Morning...I was just okay with it. Not enough hero/heroine time. Still, a great suspense novel, if not a great romance.
The MacKenzie novels...love them. love, love. (comfort reads, for me) I have to admit, they are a little old-fashioned and frankly dated. Still love them.
Prey...haven't read it. I should, because I have it downloaded.
JyLnC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my favorites!

Mr Perfect Great fun!

Shades of Twilight Disturbing family saga but impossible to forget. It stays with you.

Cover of Night Who doesn't love a shy guy who becomes the hero for a whole town.

After the Night Sexy with a love hate relationship between the two main characters with sexual tension everywhere.

Now, I'm going to have to find them in my Keepers and read them again this summer. Wink
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

No, you shouldn't, unless you want to learn how to hunt bear! Very Happy
BeeCali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love them all. I reread depending on the mood.

Although I smile widely at the paranormal, i.e. green lights and Jeopardy answers, I like the everywoman characters she creates.

Now I know how to claim winnings if I ever win the lottery, survive in an ice storm, build a shelter after a plane crash, hide from someone who wants to kill me, and other useful practical everyday know-how.
jaime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeCali wrote:
I love them all. I reread depending on the mood.

Although I smile widely at the paranormal, i.e. green lights and Jeopardy answers, I like the everywoman characters she creates.

Now I know how to claim winnings if I ever win the lottery, survive in an ice storm, build a shelter after a plane crash, hide from someone who wants to kill me, and other useful practical everyday know-how.

And how to clean out a drug lord's bank account after he wrongs you.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:

No, you shouldn't, unless you want to learn how to hunt bear! Very Happy

What a coincidence Tee...That was my plan. Bear-hunting. Smile
Seriously, the reviews I read did stress it was heavy on the bear's POV? That is probably why I haven't read it. Seemed a bit weird.
Katie (kat)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really haven't liked anything she's written since Cry No More (which I love) but she use to be my favorite romance author.

Here are just a few of my favs

Heart of Fire - my hands down favorite romance! I love Ben! He's a scoundrel and that works for me. Razz

Midnight Rainbow - my favorite heroine! I must like adventure in my romance. Laughing

Mackenzie's Pleasure - I love all the Mackenzies but Zane is dreamy! Very Happy

White Lies - I love romances where it's all about the relationship! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: