AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chagrinned

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Chagrinned Reply with quote

I recently took the grammar quiz on the Guardian site. One of the questions was to identify whether the word 'truth' was a collective, abstract, or both collective and abtract noun. I chose abstract. The Guardian stated the word was both abstract and collective. My understanding of collective nouns is that they can be used as plurals even though they remain singular in form. Can anyone give an example of truth as a collective?
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a difficult time coming up with an example where truth is collective. I suppose one could describe a doctrine holding a set of beliefs that make up its truth, but that doesn't even sound linguistically correct.

So, no, I really can't think of a solid case where truth would be a collective noun. Even in the Constitution, it's said, "these truths are self evident."
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Chagrinned Reply with quote

I took the test and answered truth as being abstract which was received as being the correct answer.

7. Truth
Correct answer: Abstract

Maybe they had a mistake that has been fixed? Why don't you check it again to see if you get the same or a different result, dick. BTW, I did that because the Oxford dictionary has truth as being just an abstract noun, with the plural and mass noun being truths.
dick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back twice. Each time I was told I chose "abstract" and the correct answer was "abstract and collective." I thought perhaps it was a vagary of British grammar; they do use collectives far more than we do.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious, also, so I took the test. Abstract was indicated as the correct answer for truth.

Maybe the original test is still in your computer's cache, dick, and it would have to be cleared before the other test (obviously corrected since you took it and we did) will show on your screen. Just a thought. I really don't know that for sure, though.
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to try the quiz a second time and made all my answers the third option, no matter what it was, just to see what would happen. I got all new responses including:

X 7. Truth
Correct answer: Abstract
You answered: Abstract and collective

I had been thinking perhaps it was the site's cache but obviously not so. And the quiz was still "highlighted" on my PC, remembering I had already been there (in my cache IOW). So, it's a mystery; that's for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: