AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9 things to never say in a book club..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:
As for just commenting on a message board about a book. DNF is fine. I just think it's hard to comment after the DNF mark.

I agree. DNF really says a lot for a reader. They couldn't finish it for whatever reason. They can state that reason, but then that's usually the end of the discussion because the rest of the book remained unread. I DNF a lot these days, too.

That is when libraries come in handy. Just return it an forget about it. Smile
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, obviously some issues brought up in this article would not apply to a message board as much as a book club. I've never belonged to one but my mom does, when they read a book it's because someone else read it and enjoyed it and thought others would as well. They are also all church friends so try to be kind to each others feelings, they know what it's like to be in the 'my turn to choose' spot so they likely wouldn't bluntly say they couldn't get past the first chapter. It's a more personal close group than an open forum.

Linda
ChristineAnneLibbey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did number 4 once and then found myself in the exact same situation in real life...

Whoops Smile

But I did see a play where #4 was a valid criticism from a directing standpoint. The writer/director had only shown 'the bad boy' side of the character and then magically the female lead fell in love with him? So it was jarring for the audience. I think writers/directors can fix this by really focusing on the evolution of the relationship, creating an emotional bond between the characters and making sure to fill out the 'bad boy' character so that he isn't reduced to his one flaw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: