AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

27 most misspelled words...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: 27 most misspelled words... Reply with quote

Lost my taste temporarily for posting on the other boards, but someone sent me this link recently for the 27 most misspelled words. It was fun and quick to take the test. To show my arrogance Laughing, I truly thought I'd get all 27 correct, but I missed three. We talk occasionally about editing and misspelled words, I thought some of you may enjoy trying it.

http://www.businesswriting.com/tests/commonmisspelled.html
dick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also missed three tee,two of which were preferred spellings. One of those was "supercede," the preferred variant being "supersede," which, to me, makes no sense at all. One "cedes" something doesn't he, with "super" being a prefix. I don't prefer supersede obviously.
Rosario

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only missed accommodate (but I have to confess I guessed the answer for supersede). It struck me how many of these hold absolutely no difficulty if you speak Spanish -they've got the same Latin root as the Spanish word, and with Spanish, the letter-to-sound correspondence is a lot closer than in English, so it's quite obvious to anyone who's ever heard the words exactly how they're spelt. So if you want your kids to be good spellers, make sure they learn Spanish! Wink
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick, I missed supersede too; and, Rosario, I think accommodate was another. I only had one m in mine. Can't recall the other one just now.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I only got 15 correct. And, Rosario, I know Spanish too! Obviously, it didn't help me.
Kay
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww Tee, you will be missed in the other forums, I hope you will come back again and start posting soon! It wouldn't be the same without you.

In the meantime while you're taking a break I guess I'll take this test and probably embarrass myself, thank god for spell check. Very Happy

Ok, only 15 right for me as well and I had to select 'don't know' for the British spelling questions at the end. Embarassed

If you want a laugh Tee check out this Ellen video, it's on auto-correct mishaps that occurred when texting, too funny!

http://youtu.be/2M3Z8Jzxt2k

Linda
ladynaava

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have trouble with:

Definite
Effect/affect

And I have to think about dessert/desert and recommend
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladynaava wrote:
Effect/affect

Maybe this might help.

Effect is a noun.
Affect is a verb.

So knowing how you want to use it in a sentence should help you.

Now, as usual, there are exceptions. In this instance, effect can be a verb at times. I tune those instances out because it's vague to me. The majority of time, one is a noun and the other is a verb.

The effect of his behavior pleases me.
His behavior affects me greatly.
ladynaava

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
ladynaava wrote:
Effect/affect

Maybe this might help.

Effect is a noun.
Affect is a verb.

So knowing how you want to use it in a sentence should help you.

Now, as usual, there are exceptions. In this instance, effect can be a verb at times. I tune those instances out because it's vague to me. The majority of time, one is a noun and the other is a verb.

The effect of his behavior pleases me.
His behavior affects me greatly.

Tee, that is very helpful. I have copied and pasted that to a sticky, lol. Maybe someday I will get it. =-)
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only got 23 right when I tried the quiz.
Affect can also be a noun from psychological jargon (with a different pronunciation).
I suggest Affect = Act to help remember the usual meaning.
Kayne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoy your posts Tee. Wish you would continue.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Affect can also be a noun from psychological jargon (with a different pronunciation).

I didn't know that. But thank goodness it doesn't seem to occur often enough to confuse us even more.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Linda and Kayne: Now I feel a bit stupid because I said that, but I also said "temporarily," knowing I'll eventually want to put my two cents in on other subjects. Can't keep a Polish person from talking. Very Happy I'm usually one of those who say if you can't take the heat, then give it up. But I can take it the same way I can give it. So that wasn't the case here with me. I just felt that somewhere at midpoint it was heading into a direction that I didn't even want to go and I chose to take a mini break. Thanks for the kind words, though.
ladynaava

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tee: I went through this too recently. Recently, I have been wondering if AAR is still for me. I'm glad you posted here, though. This was helpful.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
To Linda and Kayne: Now I feel a bit stupid because I said that, but I also said "temporarily," knowing I'll eventually want to put my two cents in on other subjects. Can't keep a Polish person from talking. Very Happy I'm usually one of those who say if you can't take the heat, then give it up. But I can take it the same way I can give it. So that wasn't the case here with me. I just felt that somewhere at midpoint it was heading into a direction that I didn't even want to go and I chose to take a mini break. Thanks for the kind words, though.

Nothing wrong with taking a step back Tee, I've done it from time to time with AAR and other forums as well. Sometimes I think I need an internet break entirely but that one hasn't been able to stick. Very Happy

Mark - Affect/Act, good one! Maybe I'll remember this now!

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: