AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Once more into the breach..."

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: "Once more into the breach..." Reply with quote

So I'm a gadfly! At the risk of being trounced on once again, I have to say these boards have become boring. There are commentaries on some novels in the first board but they're mostly statements of like or dislike. Posts on the potpourri have become rarities; the general chat board gets more posts. Sad.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So--do you think it may be due to lack of good reading material out there? How about that it's summer and many people may be away from home--and, consequently, their computers--unless they have laptops.

I'm thinking part of it is not enough interesting stuff to read to discuss. Also, as you noted, many of the recent posts are super short, not really inviting much discussion. I think that appears to be the direction of message boards in general these days (not just here). And as much as I like short and sweet, nowadays the posts are even shorter than that. I also have to admit I've been guilty of that at times also.

But because this is a reading forum, it would be fun to have more give and take, especially on controversial books, or even ones that garner more than their share of praise or criticism.

Don't have an answer for you, dick.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you both have good points. I also think that women, especially, aren't really comfortable with dissension. I tend to be pretty critical (about just about everything), and I notice that if I post a fairly long (as I ALWAYS do!) critique, the topic gets dropped. I don't know whether people are intimidated, it's just the end of discussion anyway, or what. It seems so much "nicer"--but oh, so boring--just to say, "Different folks/different strokes." I also think that thinking and writing about specific reasons WHY you liked or disliked something is foreign to a lot of people, and they can't put their fingers on it. I also think that some of the basic questions about romance have already been discussed, and a lot of people have been reading here long enough to remember them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: