AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Candy leads to crime?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Candy leads to crime? Reply with quote

Seems to me this latest "news" is akin to carrying coals to Newcastle. Who was unaware that diet influences behavior? What parent doesn't know that lots of sugar leads to a bit of hyperactivity? But despite the percentages the "researcher" found, I doubt whether eating candy in childhood has quite that great an influence.
sharon w.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Candy leads to crime? Reply with quote

dick wrote:
Seems to me this latest "news" is akin to carrying coals to Newcastle. Who was unaware that diet influences behavior? What parent doesn't know that lots of sugar leads to a bit of hyperactivity? But despite the percentages the "researcher" found, I doubt whether eating candy in childhood has quite that great an influence.

Fabulous! LOL. I hadn't seen this one dick.......it's going right into my folder on wasteful 'studies' like .........

http://conservablogs.com/bluecollarmuse/2009/03/24/women-in-bikinis-provoke-a-response-in-men/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/5042640/Women-more-attracted-to-men-in-expensive-cars.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6334107/Women-cry-more-than-men-and-for-longer-study-finds.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/fashion/26looks.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all (title: Yes, Looks Do Matter)
Tacilija

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Candy leads to crime? Reply with quote

dick wrote:
What parent doesn't know that lots of sugar leads to a bit of hyperactivity?

That would be me. Before I came to live in the US, I've never even heard of "sugar high", nor have I ever experienced it in myself or my children.

Even now, when I am aware of its alleged existence I can't say that I notice it...Smile
willaful

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that previous studies had shown no connection.
tirlittan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willaful wrote:
I was under the impression that previous studies had shown no connection.

(Assuming that this refers to the "sugar high" comment..) Me too, I haven't read any articles about this, but remember vividly a BBC documentary/food and health series where they "busted this myth" (they had the science part in it too, but the busting scenario is what I remember the best): they gave two parties for a group of kids. In the first one the kids ate lots of healthy stuff, but had very active games and entertainment that had the kids all exited. In the second one they ate lots of sugary foods, but had more sedate games and structured entertainment. The parents weren't present at the parties and were asked to guess which one had the sugar menu. Almost all said the first one. (Kids were irritated and over-exited and just generally more hyper after that one.)

The point was that the "quality" of the entertainment had a lot more to do with the child's behaviour after the party than what they ate. So the "sugar high" phenomenon might actually have more to do with the kind of setting the sugar is consumed in (birthday parties, Halloween, going to a movie theater etc. situations where exiting entertainment and sugary foods seem to go hand in hand).

From my personal experience: eating lots of sugary stuff generally makes me feel even more tired and sort of off-beat after the initial spike in the bloodsugar wears off than I felt before. I'd love to cut eating a lot of sugar, but can't seem to break the habit. You just can't escape candy these days, and my self control isn't always up to the challenge.. Laughing
dick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with everything else, I don't think all children are affected by excess sugar, but experience suggests that excess sugar does make a great number of children hyperactive, especially when a child is very active anyway. My son was so hyperactive--almost unbearably so after eating sugar--the doctor suggested we have him take the drug ritalin. I refused. Instead we went on the Feingold diet, which attempts to remove refined sugar and artificial additives. The change in behavior was astonishing. I think most parents would agree, despite the "scientific" study, that too much sugar brings on hyperactivity. Why would that surprise? Sugar provides immediate energy.
tirlittan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
As with everything else, I don't think all children are affected by excess sugar, but experience suggests that excess sugar does make a great number of children hyperactive, especially when a child is very active anyway. --

--I think most parents would agree, despite the "scientific" study, that too much sugar brings on hyperactivity. Why would that surprise? Sugar provides immediate energy.

I'm not even close to being a nutritionist, nor do I have any medical qualifications to talk about, so this is just me pondering the matter. (IMHO) Wink
I do agree with you in that we're all unique and our bodies can certainly react differently to the chemicals in our diet too. I don't mean to say that people who do see a connection with sugar and hyperactivity in their children are completely wrong. Just that maybe that connection isn't as simple as that. In addition to the social setting I mentioned in the previous post, other foods in the diet and the general quality (in a nutritional sense) of the diet might also have something/even more to do with the effect of extra sugar on our behaviour. (Like if you get a lot off excess "hidden" sugars in your "regular" meals, then add candy or something else heavily sugared to that, you're eating a lot more sugar as a whole than someone with less hidden sugars in their meals, for example.) Maybe some foods would even work as a sort of an antidote for sugary foods? I don't know.

All in all, aiming for balanced, fresh and diverse diet seems the best way to go IMO. (And I did make a new year's promise to myself to try and use less sugar myself, it's been proven unhealthy in so many ways.)

I found the series I was talking about. I remember I quite liked it, it covered all sorts of "myths" about food (though I guess they do take some shortcuts in the process too):http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/kids/
It was on tv here a couple of years ago and the details of the episode are hazy (which makes using it as a premise for an argument silly, I know) but it certainly was interesting, and they did have real studies to back their mythbusting.

Having said that, you're right Dick, in that the sugar high experiment they did is not a scientific study by any strech of the term, though it did illustrate the point they were trying to make quite well. One could certainly argue for example that the set up was pretty much tailored to cover any possible hyperactivating (Laughing) effects of the sugar in the diet by over-exiting the kids on the healthy diet and calming down the kids on the sugary diet through the entertainment. I wish I could remember what else they said about the matter. Confused

dick wrote:
My son was so hyperactive--almost unbearably so after eating sugar--the doctor suggested we have him take the drug ritalin. I refused. Instead we went on the Feingold diet, which attempts to remove refined sugar and artificial additives. The change in behavior was astonishing.

I'm glad you found such a good a solution, Dick!

ETA: a link to the clip of the show I was talking about. At the end they talk about the amount of glucose our brain uses for enenergy, and compare adding sugar to your diet to adding gas to your car. It won't make it go faster.

But it's a really short clip and there's very little actual scientific info in it. (I could've sworn there was more). I wonder if hyperactivity could be more a result of some sort of a chain reaction in the system than a simple question of the amout of sugar consumed, then?

PS. I also love Mythbusters - can you tell? Embarassed Keeps the brain working..
Tacilija

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tirlittan wrote:

At the end they talk about the amount of glucose our brain uses for energy, and compare adding sugar to your diet to adding gas to your car. It won't make it go faster.

I am no nutritionist either, but that is my understanding from studying biology - energy is available if you need it, if you don't use it, it is stored, usually as fat.

This sugar myth seems to be a self fulfilling prophecy - you expect to see it, so you see it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: