AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any *GOOD* Holiday Romances?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladynaava

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Any *GOOD* Holiday Romances? Reply with quote

I like holiday "Christmas" romances, can anyone recommend some that actually have a good plot?

I don't like them to be treacly or sappy... They should have a decent story without the Christmas elements... In other words they shouldn't rely on just "Holiday cheer" to be *THE* story.

Any time period is good...

Thanks,

N
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well aren't you lucky! AAR just created a Christmas list.

http://www.likesbooks.com/christmas.html
LeeB.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you like anthologies, check out this blog entry: http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=2947
ladynaava

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was actually hoping for some recommendations from folks who might've read some of these. I have seen the list....

I'm more interested in full-length stories than anthologies.

thanks,

N
library addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few books from Marilyn Pappano's Bethleham series on my keeper shelf. Hallmark took the first book, A Season of Miracles, and made it into a really sappy movie, but the book has much more realism to it (even with the angel Laughing ). I also really liked Some Enchanted Season.

You could also try Mistletoe Bay by Marcia Evanick. It's part of her Misty Harbor series and not one of her best books, but it can be read as a stand alone.

And Point of No Return by Rachel Lee. It's book 6 of her Conard County series and IMO is better if you've read the previous books. Not sure how much Christmas is featured in it as it's been a while since I've read it, but I'm pretty sure it's set around the holidays.
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's "Hot Toy" by Jennifer Crusie, a novella which appeared in an anthology called Santa Baby a few years back. The other stories in the anthology weren't bad either.

I also remember enjoying "The Lucky Coin" by Barbara Metzger in one of those Regency Christmas anthologies.

Two of J.D. Robb's in Death novels, Holiday in Death and Memory in Death are set during consecutive Christmasses and balance the actual mystery plot and the holiday stuff quite well IMO. One of the In Death novellas, I think Midnight in Death is set between Christmas and New Year as well.

If you like fantasy, Once Upon Stilettos and Damsel Under Stress by Shanna Swendson are both set during the holiday season, Once Upon Stilettos takes place from around Thanksgiving to approx. a week before Christmas, while Damsel Under Stress takes place in the time from approx. a week before Christmas until approx. January 3rd. They both have a festive atmosphere, but the holiday season is background, not the plot. However, they're parts 2 and 3 of a series and you'll probably also want to read book 1, Enchanted Inc., and you'll definitely want to read book 4, Don't Hex with Texas.
Nana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla Kelly's Marian's Christmas Wish is wonderful, but like all old Carla Kellys can be hard to find.

Alexandra Sellers' A Nice Girl Like You is a contemporary set in Toronto across the holiday season (starting with Thanksgiving). I really loved this book and put it on my keeper shelf. I always recommend it when categories come up.

Fannie Flagg's A Redbird Christmas is a wonderful novel about a man who's told he has a year to live and moves to a small Southern town. It's got that "happiness is a small town" vibe but I enjoy those stories. It has strong romantic elements and a happy ending in spite of the premise, so don't let that put you off reading. Same author as Fried Green Tomatoes.

(Edited to add: Sellers is available on Amazon for under $4 at http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Girl-Silhouette-Yours-Truly/dp/0373520336/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256639780&sr=8-22, Kelly is available starting at $8.66, http://www.amazon.com/Marians-Christmas-Signet-Regency-Romance/dp/0451163311/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256639935&sr=1-1)
Vol Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:
I've got a few books from Marilyn Pappano's Bethleham series on my keeper shelf. Hallmark took the first book, A Season of Miracles, and made it into a really sappy movie, but the book has much more realism to it (even with the angel Laughing ). I also really liked Some Enchanted Season.

MP's Bethlehem series is probably my absolute favorite of all Christmas stories. I really wish she would write more of these. Next up is the series by Debbie Macomber- (Angels- Shirley, Goodness, & Mercy).

I have bought the newest Christmas book by Macomber, Robyn Carr & Sherryl Woods, (That Holiday Feeling) but haven't read it yet. For those that don't know, the story written by Robyn Carr is set in Virgin River.
Annique

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Carla Kelly's An Object of Charity from the 1999 anthology A Regency Christmas Present. I hope to find it this year for a reread through the interlibrary loan. Gosh it was good.
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot. "Beast of Belleterre" in Christmas Revels, Mary Jo Putney. One of the best short stories I've read.
ladynaava

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much! I appreciate the rec's..
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:

Vol Fan wrote:
MP's Bethlehem series is probably my absolute favorite of all Christmas stories. I really wish she would write more of these. Next up is the series by Debbie Macomber- (Angels- Shirley, Goodness, & Mercy).

I am in total agreement with library addict and Vol Fan here in recommending Pappano's Bethlehem series, especially Season of Miracles. I've watched the movie on TV also many times and I have to say that I really liked it too. But the book is wonderful. It's probably my favorite Christmas story.

Vol Fan, I also agree with you on Macomber's Christmas books. They are usually very good. There was one some years back (The Christmas Basket), which was horrible; but otherwise hers are enjoyable reading. I just read her latest one, The Perfect Christmas. All I can say about that one, in addition to what I wrote on the Recent Books Read thread, is don't bother.

Due to dwindling books here, I've put on hold three of Mary Balogh's books that I've enjoyed, two of them are Christmas stories. They are The Christmas Bride (another fav of mine) and The Christmas Beau (which I can't quite recall right now). The other book is Indiscreet, which is not a Christmas book, but I loved it anyway.

Last edited by Tee on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Holiday Book Reply with quote

A trad Regency that I enjoyed is Elisabeth Fairchild's Sugarplum Surprises. It was reissued last year so should be easy to find. It's about a young dressmaker, Jane Nichol, who thinks she will go bankrupt when Edward Brydges breaks his engagement and his fiance refuses to pay for the trousseau she'd ordered. Jane confronts the duke and, as you'd expect in a romance, they fall in love. I liked both Jane and Edward and also like Fairchild's voice. She does longing so well, when people feel constrained by the mores of their society and their own conscience but want something so very much. The holiday (specifically the desire to belong to a loving family during the season) adds to the story, but I think it would have worked in any season.
Kayne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Any *GOOD* Holiday Romances? Reply with quote

Bond Street Carolers by Mary Balogh in A Regency Christmas Carol Anthology.
LynnS/AAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my favorite Christmas stories come from anthologies, but for full-length novels, I really like Christmas Angel by Jo Beverley. It relies on much more than just holiday trappings to be a good read.

LynnS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: