AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you read harlequin - series- category romance?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you read harlequin - series- category romance?
yes
67%
 67%  [ 36 ]
no
32%
 32%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 53

baseballmom5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to hear what you think! Hope it comes soon! Cindy
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the Silhouette Nocturne, Silhouette Intimate Moments/Romantic Suspense and Harlequin Intrigue lines. Silhouette Special Edition, Harlequin Superromance and Mills and Boon/Harlequin Medical Romance have some very good stories as well. Finally, the niche lines Harlequin Kimani Romance and Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense have some very fine stories.

However, the ultra-popular Harlequin Presents line has never done it for me.
MaryK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Series Romance books Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
I tend to get sucked into books. If it's a 330 pager and I'm really engaged, I'll keep reading until I finish and then suddenly realize it's 3 in the morning and I have work in a few hours.

Oh boy, do I know what that's like! Rolling Eyes
MaryK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: HPs Reply with quote

Susanna Kearsley wrote:
I think a good writer is a good writer no matter what the format.

Susan Napier is one of my favorite authors, period. In Bed with the Boss is probably my favorite of hers. Cheesy, off-putting title, but a great book.

Susanna Kearsley wrote:
And I've recently found a wonderful used bookstore that has an entire spinning rack stuffed with Presents from the late 70s and 80s (MY era!),

My town used to have an awesome UBS that had a whole wall devoted to HPs! The store closed this past year, and I'm still in mourning. Now I have to rely mostly on library sales for old HPs. Sad

I'm sooo tempted by the ebook reprints Harlequin is starting to come out with, but I refuse to deal with the DRM.
bathsheba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Susanna Kearsley - a good writer is a good writer regardless of format and as a long-time category romance reader, I can honestly say that there are writers writing shorter romances for Harlequin whose books are just as good - if not better - than their single title counterparts.

I know many people dislike the conventions of the Presents line, but writers like Anne McAllister, Helen Brooks, Catherine George and Susan Stephens are worth checking out as they tend to deviate from the traditional kind of angst and often include humour in their books as well.

I think the Harlequin Romance line is often overlooked even though some wonderful stories get published. I think writers like Liz Fielding, Marion Lennox, Fiona Harper, Natasha Oakley, Jessica Hart and Caroline Anderson are absolutely superb and I gobble up their books as soon as they are published.

I also enjoy the Harlequin Historicals. They are often so much better than the hideous wallpaper historicals by other publishers. I love Michelle Styles, Louise Allen, Mary Nichols and Anne Herries.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bathsheba,

I want to second your recommendation of Catherine George. I really enjoy her writing. Her characters become real for me, and I believe that they do live in the English villages and towns that George creates--Pennington especially seems real. Her people DO make trips to London, and some of them even live there.

Kay
Claire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: HPs Reply with quote

MaryK wrote:
My town used to have an awesome UBS that had a whole wall devoted to HPs! The store closed this past year, and I'm still in mourning. Now I have to rely mostly on library sales for old HPs. Sad

There was a ubs here like that with an aisle devoted entirely to Harlequins on one side. Then one day I went in and there was a much smaller section. I asked and they said they only keep or trade books from the last six months now. Such a shame. They put them in number/date order which makes sense but I kinda wish they would put them in order by the authors last name. I was looking for all of Jessica Bird's books once and it made me crazy having to look through all the numbers and dates.
DeeD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: HPs Reply with quote

MaryK wrote:

I think I'm quite lucky - I have two - count 'em - two UBS with awesome romance collections within a 15 minute drive. One is an old house that has the equivalent of 2 bedrooms, a kitchen and the living room full of romance (and even some older stuff tucked away in the basement if you know exactly what you're looking for). The other store just doubled their size and a good portion is dedicated to romance, categories, single titles and they even keep the 'naughty' erotica stuff behind the counter just for me.

I used to hit UBS when we vacationed to look for my shopping list books but stopped because I became so disappointed in others selection, shelving practices, etc.
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: HPs Reply with quote

MaryK wrote:
Susanna Kearsley wrote:
I think a good writer is a good writer no matter what the format.

Susan Napier is one of my favorite authors, period. In Bed with the Boss is probably my favorite of hers. Cheesy, off-putting title, but a great book..

They do that often though; the only one I've read by Susan Napier (which I really liked) was published by Harlequin Presents as "The Price of Passion", which actually makes sense within the context of the book but is still a dumbo title. However, it was ORIGINALLY published by Mills & Boon as "Just Once". Which is much more evocative.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Harlequin books. I lean towards Harlequin Historicals, Presents, Silouette and every now and then a Blaze. They used to send a reader to reader newsletter in the box with the books that listed upcoming releases and they quit doing that. I can't find it on their website either. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Cora

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harlequin/Silhouette website for North America is http://www.eharlequin.com. If you're outside the US/Canada, you unfortunately cannot order directly from their website, but you can still sign up for their e-mail newsletter. I get it approx. once a week.

Mills and Boon does ship to countries other than the UK, though you have to pay shipping charges. Their website is http://www.millsandboon.co.uk. They have an e-mail newsletter as well and sometimes offer special discounts.
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
They used to send a reader to reader newsletter in the box with the books that listed upcoming releases and they quit doing that. I can't find it on their website either. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I still get the reader to reader newsletter with my books Confused

If you go to the website there's an "Upcoming Books" page that lists the upcoming titles for all series, HQN, Mira, etc for the next three months. http://eharlequin.com/upcomingbooks.html
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:

If you go to the website there's an "Upcoming Books" page that lists the upcoming titles for all series, HQN, Mira, etc for the next three months. http://eharlequin.com/upcomingbooks.html

Thanks so much. That was fun to check out!
Jane A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read a Silhouette Romantic Suspense by Marilyn Pappano called Forbidden Stranger. I've never read anything by this author before, but I think I've been missing out, the book was really good. It certainly proves to me that the series books are capable of being every bit as good as the single titles out there.

Thanks are due to the OP, I was inspired to pick this one up because of this thread! Very Happy
desiderata

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read a few years ago, but I don't even look at them now. Shallow of me, I know, but the titles and the covers just do not appeal to me. Also, I like a long book, not short novellas. I don't read anthologies, either, because it seems the story ends just when I feel I've started to know the h/h.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: