AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

palin is out as governor...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: palin is out as governor... Reply with quote

so she resigns, effective sometime in july. wow. i wonder what this means?

my blog (do not click if you're easily offended)
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: palin is out as governor... Reply with quote

nikki wrote:
i wonder what this means?

Hopefully, not the start of the 2012 presidential campaigning. But I suspect that's exactly what it is. She says, "Look out, here comes Sarah;" and I hope we have an adequate rebuttal.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: palin is out as governor... Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
nikki wrote:
i wonder what this means?

Hopefully, not the start of the 2012 presidential campaigning. But I suspect that's exactly what it is. She says, "Look out, here comes Sarah;" and I hope we have an adequate rebuttal.

Well, I think that is exactly what this means. She can free up her schedule to travel the country spreading her presidential ideas. Can hardly wait. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Not a fan.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet is that she's going on radio first, if only to make money and to "expand her base." I THINK, however, that Tina Fey single-handedly put an end to her presidential hopes.
LisaW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a duck is just a duck.

While I don't doubt she has further politican aspirations, she came right out and gave reasons, most good, why she was resigning.

In particular -- unfounded ethics complaints had already cost her state $2M to investigate (and dismiss). It cost nothing for anyone to throw the attempt to smear. It costs the state, and her personally, to investigate and defend. Also, same thing, these ethics charges had her $500k in debt for defending. As Governor, she couldn't do much without affecting the office. As Sarah Palin, Private Citizen she can (and already has) gone on the attack. Her attorneys have notified several media outlets to be very careful what they print about her -- they'll be going immediately for libel and slander suits.

Her family, from her husband down to her youngest child, had been unmercifully attacked by everyone. Now, she can respond and act.

So, for now, she's going to finish out her month and probably avail herself of speaking engagements. Keeps her out there and earning money to pay those attorney fees -- unless, of course, groups like HuffPo get stupid and offer their pocket books up for those payments.
Juliette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: palin is out as governor... Reply with quote

Palin has a pattern of quitting

http://wonkette.com/tag/pt-comment-of-the-day /

In the middle of this monster Palin Chaos Theory post, commenter-person Alaska Girl reminds us why Sarah Palin’s latest “I’m gonna take my ball and go home” move is standard Wasilla Snowbilly behavior: “She didn’t finish her term as mayor, stepping down to run for Lt. Governor. She didn’t finish her term on the petroleum board ethics panel, she resigned in protest and then ran for Governor.

However, before that, Sarah Palin left the Wasilla City Council only one year into her second three-year term in order to take the Mayor's job.

And, if you go all the way back, it took her five years and five colleges to get a Journalism degree.

Quitting before the job is done is Her modus operendi.
LisaW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: palin is out as governor... Reply with quote

Juliette wrote:
Palin has a pattern of quitting

However, before that, Sarah Palin left the Wasilla City Council only one year into her second three-year term in order to take the Mayor's job.

And, if you go all the way back, it took her five years and five colleges to get a Journalism degree.

Quitting before the job is done is Her modus operendi.

It took Barry 2 colleges to get his undergraduate degree. While an elected State Senator, he attempted to run for the Federal office. And, of course, he was only a US Senator for 143 (or so) days before starting a run for President -- he stayed in the Senate, took the salary, do you really think he was all that effective for the people of Illinois?

Quote:

SEN. OBAMA: I will serve out my full six-year term. You know, Tim, if you get asked enough, sooner or later you get weary and you start looking for new ways of saying things, but my thinking has not changed.

MR. RUSSERT: But, but—so you will not run for president or vice president in 2008?

SEN. OBAMA: I will not.

Hillary Clinton promised while running for NY Senator she would stay in the job -- only to turn around and run for President.

So, Hillary and Barack both lied to their constituents while running.

Janet Napolitano ran for Governor while actively AZ AG. She quit as governor to take another political post.

Want a few more of these?
Juliette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Obama resigned after his WIN.

As did Hillary. They couldn't possibly serve in the senate AND the executive branch. Naturally, you resign your post after winning election to higher office. That actually makes sense.

Has she won an election to a higher political office *lately* that would warrant her to 'move on?' To what office would she be 'moving'?

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Columnist David Brooks, a conservative, actually sounds embarrassed:

The old dignity code has not survived modern life. The costs of its demise are there for all to see. Every week there are new scandals featuring people who simply do not know how to act. For example, during the first few weeks of summer, three stories have dominated public conversation, and each one exemplifies another branch of indignity.

First, there was Mark Sanford’s press conference. Here was a guy utterly lacking in any sense of reticence, who was given to rambling self-exposure even in his moment of disgrace. Then there was the death of Michael Jackson and the discussion of his life. Here was a guy who was apparently untouched by any pressure to live according to the rules and restraints of adulthood. Then there was Sarah Palin’s press conference. Here was a woman who aspires to a high public role but is unfamiliar with the traits of equipoise and constancy, which are the sources of authority and trust.

In each of these events, one sees people who simply have no social norms to guide them as they try to navigate the currents of their own passions.

Americans still admire dignity. But the word has become unmoored from any larger set of rules or ethical system.

But it’s not right to end on a note of cultural pessimism because there is the fact of President Obama. Whatever policy differences people may have with him, we can all agree that he exemplifies reticence, dispassion and the other traits associated with dignity. The cultural effects of his presidency are not yet clear, but they may surpass his policy impact. He may revitalize the concept of dignity for a new generation and embody a new set of rules for self-mastery.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/opinion/07brooks.html
bbmedos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juliette wrote:
President Obama resigned after his WIN.

As did Hillary. They couldn't possibly serve in the senate AND the executive branch. Naturally, you resign your post after winning election to higher office. That actually makes sense.

Has she won an election to a higher political office *lately* that would warrant her to 'move on?' To what office would she be 'moving'?

Community organizer, maybe?

As to people resigning after they win something else, this is very true as a standard practice. For career politicians. It's also standard practice that they collect paychecks while still "serving" us. In Obama's case that meant campaigning for something else almost from the start of being elected. So, taking our money is okay but resigning to not do so isn't?

Hmmm.

And that's not even dealing with the asumption eveyone who might have a remote chance automatically wants to become President, when there are a lot of people who just might not. Thank you very much. At what point in our country did it become a rule that a citizen has to hold an office or a title to be able to effect change? To serve the greater good? To speak their mind?

Personally, this week, no year, has been extremely enlightening on many levels.
Juliette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Palin goes on to help organize people who need a hand or helps people who fall through the health insurance cracks get coverage, those kinds of things, that would be wonderful. But her message was so full of contradictions and so garbled who the hell knows what she means or plans to do?

If she's freeing herself to devote all her time for 2012, fine. But to pick up her ball and go home and blame it on the media and legal fees, regardless of Palin's odd insistence that her quitting isn't really quitting, it is. She's not mavericky and different, she's just strange and weird. And now we see she has no integrity.

The reasons she gave for quitting may even be false.

http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/republican-party/key-reason-palin-gave-for-quitting-appears-to-be-false/
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juliette wrote:

If she's freeing herself to devote all her time for 2012, fine. But to pick up her ball and go home and blame it on the media and legal fees, regardless of Palin's odd insistence that her quitting isn't really quitting, it is. She's not mavericky and different, she's just strange and weird. And now we see she has no integrity.

The reasons she gave for quitting may even be false.

http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/republican-party/key-reason-palin-gave-for-quitting-appears-to-be-false/

Yes, but this is so typical of Palin. Agree that she is strange and weird and I think the real reason for her quitting will come out. Should be interesting....and enlightening for all wondering WTH she is up to now.
bbmedos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Yes, but this is so typical of Palin. Agree that she is strange and weird and I think the real reason for her quitting will come out. Should be interesting....and enlightening for all wondering WTH she is up to now.

Strange and werid, hmmm?

Feminists and the mystery of Sarah Palin

“On Being Sane in Insane Places”: Sarah Palin and the Rosenhan Study

Odd that both of those two sites are definitely not right-wing and also seem to believe that it's possible to defend someone without supporting what they believe. Or calling them strange and weird.

Just a thought.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbmedos wrote:
[

. Or calling them strange and weird.

Just a thought.

Well, you know what they say about the shoe fitting. Just another thought.
bbmedos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
bbmedos wrote:
[

. Or calling them strange and weird.

Just a thought.

Well, you know what they say about the shoe fitting. Just another thought.

Wink
Juliette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Andrew Sullivan, a Republican and Obama supporter Reply with quote

Andrew Sullivan, Republican and Obama supporter has compiled a list of Palin's plethora of "fibs". It's, I dunno, what's the word? I think that word would be enlightening.

The Odd Lies Of Sarah Palin: A Round-Up

Some readers have asked me to put all the various odd lies of Sarah Palin that the Dish has compiled in one helpful place. So that's what we've done. A couple of months ago, I asked an intern to re-fact-check all of them to make sure new details hadn't emerged that might debunk some. And I also asked to get any subsequent statements by Palin that acknowledged that she had erred in any of these statements that are easily rebuttable by facts in the public record and apologized and corrected. She has not. Since this was a vast project over the last ten months, it's possible there are some nuances or errors that need fixing. Please tell us if you find one and we'll acknowledge and fix. But it has been put through the ringer a few times.

After you have read these, ask yourself: what wouldn't Sarah Palin lie about if she felt she had to?

Palin lied when she said the dismissal of her public safety commissioner, Walt Monegan, had nothing to do with his refusal to fire state trooper Mike Wooten; in fact, the Branchflower Report concluded that she repeatedly abused her power when dealing with both men.

Palin lied when she repeatedly claimed to have said, "Thanks, but no thanks" to the Bridge to Nowhere; in fact, she openly campaigned for the federal project when running for governor.

Palin lied when she denied that Wasilla's police chief and librarian had been fired; in fact, both were given letters of termination the previous day.

The list continues here: http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/07/the-odd-lies-of-sarah-palin-a-roundup.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: