Bride by Mistake
By
Grade : B

When a book hits all your pet peeves, it's very hard to review it fairly and not allow bias to cloud the review. Unfortunately for me, Bride by Mistake hit quite a few of my pet peeves, but I will try my best to give the book the fair shake it deserves.

Luke Ripton was a soldier in the English army in Spain in 1811 fighting against the advances of Napoleon. While he was there, he came across a young girl being attacked while trying to flee to a convent. Through a series of circumstances, the only way to protect the young girl was to marry her. Since Luke was a soldier fighting in a deadly war, he really didn’t worry too much about the possible repercussions of his actions. He was sure he would either die in the war or get an annulment once the danger to the girl, Isabella, was past. However, eight years later, he is living in England and he discovers that an annulment is impossible. Therefore, it is time to go fetch his bride.

Isabella has spent the last eight years dreaming of her handsome soldier coming to rescue her from convent life and falling madly in love with her. A late bloomer, she is convinced that she is far too plain for him to really love her, but that is what dreams are for. When Luke finally arrives, Isabella discovers that he never really intended to honor the marriage. She feels disappointed that the only reason that he has come is that he is now a Lord and needs a legitimate heir. Despite this rocky start, Luke promises Isabella that he will give her safety and a good life. Though they may not love passionately, they will be content.

Before Isabella can commit to a life in England with her new husband, she feels duty bound to address an old oversight: She must try to rescue her half sister from her evil cousin. Luke, however, has other plans. He has promised his younger sister that he would be home in time for her coming out ball and he has no desire to linger in Spain for any reason. The years of war and hardship have ruined Spain for him and he has no desire to remain within its borders. Thus begins a battle of wills between Isabella and Luke that sends them traipsing across Spain and, eventually, England.

In the beginning, I really enjoyed this book. I felt that the affection and respect that twenty-year-old Luke showed thirteen-year-old Isabella boded very well for the couple. Even under the desperate circumstances where they met, the author was able to show a spark that had the potential to flame and make me believe in why he would marry a child. Once Luke and Isabella were reunited, a clear spark still existed and, had the book focused on Luke overcoming his past (both romantic and wartime) and the two coming together in a loving relationship, I would have been content.

Then, out came the Plot Device in the person of Isabella’s half sister Perlita. Out of the blue, Isabella suddenly needed to rescue her half sister. The main reason that this was so unbelievable was that she had left this half sister at her cousin’s mercy for eight years; yet now, Isabella was furious that Luke would put his sister’s interests before her own. Luke offered to send people after her half sister and promised that he would do all that he could and spare no expense to see her safe. But no, that wasn’t enough for Isabella. She preferred to run away from him, force him to chase after her (on a side saddle no less) across Spain, and create animosity that was really unnecessary. I would have preferred if the author had kept the story character driven rather than plot driven, but that is a personal preference and a part of a personal issue.

The characters in the book are well written for the most part. There were times when they contradicted themselves and were a tad bit inconsistent - and I don’t mean in terms of battling their feelings, but in basic personality characteristics. Despite that, this was a well written novel. The dialogue was catchy and the time period well represented. Despite being part of a series, I had no trouble understanding what had happened in previous novels. What at first seemed like choppy writing lasted only ten pages and actually did a wonderful job catching me up on the story. In the end, I appreciated that the author just gave the necessary facts without bludgeoning me with the whole back story.

Although this book was one that got tossed across the room a few times, I openly admit it happened because of hot buttons that the book hit for me personally. The bottom line is that Bride by Mistake might be an enjoyable read if your hot buttons aren’t similarly pressed!

Reviewed by Louise VanderVliet
Grade : B

Sensuality: Warm

Review Date : January 13, 2012

Publication Date: 2012/01

Review Tags: 

Recent Comments …

Louise VanderVliet

Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks