AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New To Me Authors I Like

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: New To Me Authors I Like Reply with quote

After a two year slump, things are starting to look up. In the past year I have discovered several new authors to add to my auto read list. I thought I'd share some of them for those who might be looking for new authors to try.

Sherry Thomas: I've read both her books, Private Arrangements and Delicious and really enjoyed them. I preferred Private Arrangements. Well written characters who are believable flawed and a nice secondary character romance.

Meredith Duran: Her first book, The Duke of Shadows, was published when she won a contest. I really like her voice, finding it fresh and exciting. The first half is set in India, the second in England.

Tamara Lejeune: I don't think her books are for everyone but I really like them. Although they are set in the Regency, the tone reminds of a screwball comedy from the 30's or 40's. I am not used to seeing this style in a romance and find it uniquely refreshing.

Elizabeth Hoyt: Each book gets better and better. And they were already good to begin with. I am loving these historicals and they are set in the Georgian period so they make a nice change from the same old Regency era.

Shana Abe: Love love love her Drakyn series. I had never read anything by her before this series. Has a lovely dark fairy tale quality to them. And I like that the choices that the characters must make are not easy ones and that they come with a price.

Anna Campbell: Her first historical pushed a lot of boundaries - successfully, I think - and her second was equally as emotionally engaging. Darkly passionate. She is not for everyone but she is for me.

Kalen Hughes: Her books are historical erotica romance so the focus is on more earthy matters. But it is a nice example of the genre. Entertaining steamy reads.

Megan Hart: I thought that Dirty was the best erotic novel I have ever read. How great to read a book like this that actually has a plot and three dimensional characters. Intense and hot.

Eve Kenin: Strong heroines in a post apocalyptic future. Oddly enough, I don't care for her historicals written under the name Eve Silver but I will definitely continue to read her futurustics.

Meljean Brook: I think her characters, especially the women, are very complex, as is the world building. Her books are dense which makes them perfect for re-reading - if one is so inclined - which I am.

Kresley Cole: Just started reading her very fun paranormals this year. Her first book is my least favorite but my enjoyment level increases with each book she writes.

Ann Aguirre: Tough, ballsy heroine. Tough, ballsy hero. What's not to like in this futuristic. Good world building and fast paced. I am eagerly awaiting her next novel.

Jocelynn Drake: Nice addition to the paranormal/urban fantasy genre. The heroine is a nightwalker/vampire who is guardian of the city of Savannah. I am used to the hero being the protector so I enjoyed seeing a competent women in this role.

Patricia Briggs: I know she has been around for awhile but I just started reading her Mercy Thompson books about shapeshifters. Definitely recommended for anyone who likes Charlaine Harris' Sookie series. The Charles/Anna series is also quite good.

Larissa Ione Demon slaying heroine vs. Demon doctor hero. A different take than I am used to. Promising beginning to a new paranormal series.

Ilona Andrews: Her first book was good, her second better. I eagerly await the third in this urban fantasy series.

So I am doing pretty good. That's a lot of new authors to discover in one year. This has been a good year for books.
Retrograde

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good authors there. If you enjoy Kresley Cole, Ilona Andrews, and Patricia Briggs, may I suggest reading Nalini Singh? I usually put those authors together in my mind, because I see them as being the best in the genre. I've heard great things about Meljean Brook, and she's next on my TBR pile, so hopefully I can add her to that group soon.

Happy reading!
lil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big Nalini Singh fan. I almost included her in my list but I have been reading her since her first book came out and I only wanted to use authors I've discovered in the past year.
I bought her first book without knowing anything about it. I don't usually buy a book cold but I was glad I did with Slave To Sensation. An original voice.
Skrabs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny. If I see something everybody raves about I'm always just that little bit cynical and put off reading for ages (been burnt a few times I think), but I started reading Singh's series this year and have to say its been my best find for the year. Smart plot, great character development and I like the way she lets her future books' characters actually become part of the plot without throwing it in your face that these guys are gonna be the next heroes.

As for Cole, I enjoy the concept more than the actual execution. There's just something about her series that keeps me grading them in the C's and B's. Mind you, I keep buying them so she must be doing something right.

Another new to me author this year was Kelley Armstrong. After (again) loads of praise for Bitten I went out and bought it and absolutely loved it. But every subsequent book I read just seems to be going downhill. I always wonder with authors who have such a break out standout book and then just never recapture the flame again. Is it pressure to produce another book too quickly do you think?
lil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Cole's books are a solid B for me. Not great, but good, light, silly fun. I like the variety of characters she employs - from demons to valkyries to vampires. I find her a fun easy read. And I think she has a nice way with banter.

I loved Armstrong's Bitten. I read the second book and possibly the third but then I stopped. She seemed to be taking the series in a direction that I wasn't really interested in. But Bitten is a keeper for me.

I can't speak to Armstrong but I do think that there are some authors who have so many books coming out in a year that the storytelling suffers. I used to be a big fan of Maryjanice Davidson but the more books she released, the more hit or miss they became for me. I stopped reading her for a long time but have recently started again. Except, where before I read everything she had written, now I pick and choose depending on reviews/recommendations by people I trust.
Kaia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I just started coming to AAR this year, I also have a huge list of new to me authors. Some I am a bit embarassed to admit I haven't read before, since I call myself a romance reader Embarassed

They include:

Loretta Chase- yeah, where have I been? Absolutely loving her. But decided to stop glomming b/c I want to save some books for later.

JR Ward-I hadn't read a paranormal since, oh maybe the Draycott Abbey books by Christina Skye. Oh and Linda Howard's Killing Time (which I did not like). Anyway, I am loving the BDB, and just finished Lover Revealed, but I have also tried to slow down on her books so I don't get burned out.

Adele Ashworth, Gaelen Foley, and Elizabeth Hoyt are a few other authors I am really liking... Now I want to start exploring some of the midlist authors I have been reading about on the boards and ATBF
Skrabs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another new author for me this year was Lilith Saintcrow and her Danny Valentine series. I know its not technically romance but its got a great romance running through it. Japhrimel has to be my pick for favourite hero this year. Loved him. Her world-building is great and I liked how truly inhuman her demons were - they weren't humanized like a lot of the stuff I've read. It's a dark and grim world but if you liked Meljean Brooks world-building I'd give them a shot.
Margaret

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New To Me Authors I Like Reply with quote

Quote:

Tamara Lejeune: I don't think her books are for everyone but I really like them. Although they are set in the Regency, the tone reminds of a screwball comedy from the 30's or 40's. I am not used to seeing this style in a romance and find it uniquely refreshing.

She is fantastic. I loved Simply Scandalous and Ginger was a refreshing hero.
Retrograde

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New To Me Authors I Like Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Quote:

She is fantastic. I loved Simply Scandalous and Ginger was a refreshing hero.

lol, i'm going to prove the OP's statement and say that I really disliked it. Wink
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a big Nalini Singh fan.

I've heard Singh mentioned a number of times before, but I'm not a big paranormal/fantasy fan. Has Singh written a "traditional" romance? Or, at least, something without paranormal/fantasy elements? (She may just end up being -- for me -- one of those authors others enjoy, who are good writers and storytellers, but who some people may not read because they are not interested in the subgenre.) I know other people feel that way about romantic suspense, or contemporaries, or westerns or ... name your poison.
blossom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn, I am not positive, but I saw your post and I think that Singh may have done some titles for Harlequin, someone else may be able to confirm that.
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From BYRON:

AWAKEN THE SENSES
Nalini Singh
5/2005
Rom/C

AWAKEN THE SENSES / ESTATE AFFAIR
Singh/Orwig
5/2006
Dbl/Rom/C

AWAKEN TO PLEASURE
Nalini Singh
8/2004
Rom/C

AWAKEN TO PLEASURE / THE SEDUCTION REQUEST
Singh/Celmer
12/2005
Dbl/Rom/C

BENDING TO THE BACHELOR's WILL / SECRETS IN THE MARRIAGE BED
Rose/Singh
12/2007
Dbl/Rom/C

BOUND BY MARRIAGE
Nalini Singh
2/2007
Rom/C

BOUND BY MARRIAGE / THE DURANGO AFFAIR
Singh/Jackson
4/2008
Dbl/Rom/C

CARESSED BY ICE
Nalini Singh
9/2007
Rom/C/WW

CRAVING BEAUTY
Nalini Singh
7/2005
Rom/C-Sheik

CRAVING BEAUTY / HIS WEDDING-NIGHT WAGER
Singh/Garbera
1/2007
Dbl/Rom/C

DESERT WARRIOR
Nalini Singh
8/2003
Rom/C-Sheik

DESERT WARRIOR / MISTRESS MINDED
Singh/Garbera
4/2005
Dbl/Rom/C

AN ENCHANTED SEASON: A New Paranormal Romance Collection
Shayne/McCarthy/Singh/Johnson
10/2007
An/Rom/O/WW-Christmas

EXPECTING THE SHEIKH's BABY / DESERT WARRIOR
Gold/Singh
12/2003
Dbl/Rom/C

HOSTAGE TO PLEASURE
Nalini Singh
9/2008
Rom/C/WW

THE LAST REILLY STANDING / CRAVING BEAUTY
Child/Singh
10/2005
Dbl/Rom/C

LAYING HIS CLAIM / AWAKEN TO PLEASURE
Barton/Singh
10/2004
Dbl/Rom/C

THE MAGICAL CHRISTMAS CAT
Leigh/McCarthy/Singh/Jones
10/2008
An/Rom/O-Christmas

MINE TO POSSESS
Nalini Singh
2/2008
Rom/C/WW

PAYING THE PLAYBOY's PRICE / SECRETS IN THE MARRIAGE BED
Rose/Singh
2/2008
Dbl/Rom/C

REUNION OF REVENGE / SECRETS IN THE MARRIAGE BED / CALAMITY MUM
DeNosky/Singh/Palmer
4/2006
Dbl/Rom/C

SECRETS IN THE MARRIAGE BED
Nalini Singh
3/2006
Rom/C

SLAVE TO SENSATION
Nalini Singh
9/2006
Rom/C/WW

VISIONS OF HEAT
Nalini Singh
3/2007
Rom/C/WW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: