AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sharing the same name as the heroine/hero
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mingqi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: sharing the same name as the heroine/hero Reply with quote

I actually have one of those old-fashioned English first names that people don't really have anymore. When I first started reading romance, I was a bit upset that I couldn't find any of them with a heroine who has my name, but a few months ago, I found one that did. And I realized that it felt WEIRD. I was excited that a heroine shared the same name as me, but it was strange when the hero starts saying something like "Touch me [insert my name]" or say anything sentence with my name in it while talking to the heroine.

I wonder how many of you have encountered novels with your first names in it and how did you feel about it?
Amanda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason Amanda is often the b!tch in literature, television and movies. Lisa Kleypas's Suddenly You was the first book I've read that Amanda was not only the main character, but she was also kind. I liked it. Wink
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever come across a Linda, I would like to though!

Linda
Skrabs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never come across a Rebecca as a heroine and very rarely as a secondary character. Maybe once. I actually find that names are really important for me - a name I hate just has me cringing all book, and I'll often pick up something because I like the names rather than another book which might sound intriguing but has a Rupert as a hero Very Happy (I just can't seem to see an alpha 'Rupert')

I don't think I'd actually like to read a book with my name.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skrabs wrote:
I have never come across a Rebecca as a heroine and very rarely as a secondary character. Maybe once. I actually find that names are really important for me - a name I hate just has me cringing all book, and I'll often pick up something because I like the names rather than another book which might sound intriguing but has a Rupert as a hero Very Happy (I just can't seem to see an alpha 'Rupert')

I don't think I'd actually like to read a book with my name.

Rebecca = Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

Try a biography of Prince Rupert of the Rhine.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My real name is Sally (xina was my great aunt's name, short for Alexina). Sally seems to always be the maid or the bar maid who is tupping with the hero and/or his buddies in the barn. Crying or Very sad Although, recently I read The Rainbow Season where the heroine's name was Sarah and the hero called her Sally too which is sometimes short for Sarah. Frankly, I liked it! It was a nice change.
PatW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The villain in JAK's Arcane Society series last name is my maiden name (Stilwell) - it feels weird when he gets named - that's my brother's name, he's not a bad guy! Rolling Eyes

My first name is Pat and since I read mostly historicals the shortened version is not usual - nor is Patricia that common for some reason.
Amanda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
My real name is Sally (xina was my great aunt's name, short for Alexina). Sally seems to always be the maid or the bar maid who is tupping with the hero and/or his buddies in the barn. Crying or Very sad Although, recently I read The Rainbow Season where the heroine's name was Sarah and the hero called her Sally too which is sometimes short for Sarah. Frankly, I liked it! It was a nice change.

I just finished listening to The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer and Sarah's brother called her Sally. She was quite saucy and very intelligent.
Nana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bothered by heroes with my HUSBAND's name. I'm like, "Get your hands off him, you hussy!" BUt even worse is the names of kids! When you picture "Alex" as a ten-year-old boy, you just have to quit on the book.
HeatherB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom is a huge Kathleen Woodiwiss fan and as a result I was named after one of my least favorite romance heroines, but one of her favorites; Heather from The Flame and the Flower. I like the name Heather okay, but if she were going to go with a Woodiwiss heroine, I wish it has been Aislinn from The Wolf and the Dove - she's not so faint hearted.

HeatherB
MMcA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend not to like it. In point of fact, I bought Susanna Kearsley's 'Mariana' (my name's Marianne) a couple of weeks ago, and haven't wanted to read it yet, because of the similarity of the names.

And my married surname (McA is a shortening of my maiden name) is used frequently, and only, for really repellent characters. As soon as someone with that name comes on to the page, you know their twisted character as surely as if they'd arrived on the scene playing keepy uppy with a lovely puppy.
Cyl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeatherB wrote:
My mom is a huge Kathleen Woodiwiss fan and as a result I was named after one of my least favorite romance heroines, but one of her favorites; Heather from The Flame and the Flower. I like the name Heather okay, but if she were going to go with a Woodiwiss heroine, I wish it has been Aislinn from The Wolf and the Dove - she's not so faint hearted.

HeatherB

Off topic, but I met my first Shanna the other day. Of course, the first thing that popped into my head was "I wonder if her mom was a Kathleen Woodiwiss fan?" Laughing And of course, the original cover popped into my head too!
sssspro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, with a name like Sarah, there are just too many of them. I just ignore it at this point. In historicals, Sarah seems to be the spinster aunt and in contemps Sarah seems to be the sassy slut. Interesting dichotomy there, but like I said, I just ignore it.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda wrote:
[
I just finished listening to The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer and Sarah's brother called her Sally. She was quite saucy and very intelligent.

Good to know Amanda! I'll keep this book in mind. I haven't read a Heyer in a long time.
Allyson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've read any 'Allyson' heroines, but there are more than a few with the more conventional spellings, or Allie/Ally/Ali, generally in contemporaries. I'm thinking Charlie all Night by Jennifer Crusie which had an Allie.

I am a bit of a narcissist and am more likely to pick up a book if a heroine has my name! It used to weird me out when a hero had a name of a family member, but I am ok now with reading about 'Matthew' (my brother). Don't think I'll ever be able to read a book with my dad's name though, the name is less common and only associated with my dad to me! Whereas I've known lots of other Matt/Matthews.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: